You can, potentially, lock yourself out

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
So today I almost locked myself out. I left my keys in my camelback after a ride, and closed the tailgate with the tonneau cover closed and locked. Then my doors locked. I had to use Uconnect to unlock the doors to get my keys out. Fortunately I had my phone in my pocket, or it would’ve been a ride home to bring the extra set back.
Is it possible to make a spare of just the key portion so I could put it in a “hide-a-key”? I can see this eventually happening again.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So today I almost locked myself out. I left my keys in my camelback after a ride, and closed the tailgate with the tonneau cover closed and locked. Then my doors locked. I had to use Uconnect to unlock the doors to get my keys out. Fortunately I had my phone in my pocket, or it would’ve been a ride home to bring the extra set back.
Is it possible to make a spare of just the key portion so I could put it in a “hide-a-key”? I can see this eventually happening again.
I have the proximity locks, so the FOB only leaves my pocket to unlock the gas cap. You should be able to find a locksmith to make a key. If not, you will have to order one from the dealer. I would suggest installing the Uconnect app on the phone or tablet of someone trusted, in case you ever have a need for a remote unlock.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
What tonneau cover do you have that locks?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mopar Soft Tri-Fold. It has latches at the back to hold it down, which can only be unhooked with the tailgate open. The cover could be cut to access the contents, but it cannot be easily opened if the truck is closed and locked.

I don't know how it behaves without proximity locks, but if I touch the handle to unlock it and don't open the door, it locks itself in about five minutes. I can see how the OP ran into the lockout issue.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I wish my Mopar roller did that, seems it would have been easy to design in originally.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PsyRN

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I have a Tygar soft roll cover. but essentially what @Mr_Bill said. I unlocked it using the proximity lock feature but didn’t open the door, just the tailgate. After a few minutes it locked while loading up my bike and stuff.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I think with the Sirius XM Guardian service you can call and have them unlock it as well. Not certain on that but if it is like onstar (seems to be) you only need a friend with a phone and the number.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
.... why did it auto lock? ... is because one of the cab doors was not opened?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
.... why did it auto lock? ... is because one of the cab doors was not opened?
Yes, if you touch the handle to unlock, but don't open one of the cab doors, it locks them again in about five minutes.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
This reminds me, I need to make an extra key. I like to keep a key around my neck on a lanyard when overlanding. Solves the lockout situation, and in the event something should happen during the night in the dark (think of microburst blowing tent over), I could retreat to the safety of the rig without having to first find the key. Of course, opening the door with the key instead of the fob would set off the alarm ... hmmm.

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I picked up my Gladiator last Wed and locked myself out of it on Thursday morning.

I was at work showing it off, and demonstrated how I could start it using the app. Well of course the doors locked and it started, then I used the app to shut it off, and went back to work. A while later I went to show another co-worker but couldn't find my key. I went out and there was the key in the center console of a locked truck. I tried to use the U connect app to unlock it, start it, or just do anything, The app would say the command was received but nothing would happen. The dash had the "Push the brake and Start" message constantly showing, but nothing would happen.

The only way I got back in was sending my girlfriend to my apartment for the spare key. I had called the Uconnect 800 number, they were in the process of transferring me to the Sirius/Guardian assistance line when they hung up on me. My girlfriend was already in route so I didn't bother calling back.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I did the same exact thing, coming from the bike trails also. Key also in camel back. I accidently locked my key into my BMW's trunk.. i've come to realize that when im done riding im sometimes so tired and slightly out of it, thus more prone to mistakes.

2 things I always do since that day. 1. Key is always attached or placed in the special key pocket most bike shorts have. (im taking off the camel back but not the shorts). 2. I always open a cabin door before opening trunk....going on 10yr this way.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
This is what happens when they move the "smarts" of the vehicle operation from the driver to a computor(s) in the vehicle...

Get off my back Hal, I don't want you putting on the breaks, changing my speed, controlling my high-beams, or locking my doors when I don't want you to.

Yep, I am old school. And I still like using fold-up paper maps. LOL.

(For those youngings who may have never seen this movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000).
Sponsored

Last edited: