Sponsored

What Reduction To Payload Does Each Option Cause?

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
I recently ordered a fully loaded 3.6L 2023 Rubicon. I picked the Rubicon because it can tow 7,000 lbs. I’m starting to worry about the payload I might wind up with because the one thing the truck must do is tow my 6000 lb travel trailer. I just weighed the trailer and it was 5800 lbs without food, clothes, low on propane, and only 1/3 tank of freshwater. I estimate by the time I load it up it will be 6000 lbs with a tongue weight of ~750lbs. A stock Rubicon has a payload rating of 1,160 lbs. I would hate for my truck's payload to be down to 1,000 lbs before I even add tonneau covers, lights, & other accessories. I need something left over for my wife, myself and our dogs.

Does anyone know what each of the different options are going to do the the payload rating?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do not think there is a weight breakdown for each option.

You could ask around for someone with a Launch Edition Gladiator to maybe send you a copy of their door jam sticker as that should be pretty close to a fully loaded Gladiator.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I recently ordered a fully loaded 3.6L 2023 Rubicon. I picked the Rubicon because it can tow 7,000 lbs. I’m starting to worry about the payload I might wind up with because the one thing the truck must do is tow my 6000 lb travel trailer. I just weighed the trailer and it was 5800 lbs without food, clothes, low on propane, and only 1/3 tank of freshwater. I estimate by the time I load it up it will be 6000 lbs with a tongue weight of ~750lbs. A stock Rubicon has a payload rating of 1,160 lbs. I would hate for my truck's payload to be down to 1,000 lbs before I even add tonneau covers, lights, & other accessories. I need something left over for my wife, myself and our dogs.

Does anyone know what each of the different options are going to do the the payload rating?
A 750 tongue weight will exceed that of the Rubicon which has a max tongue of 700 per the owners manual so be careful with that.

1160 is completely factory, as in soft top, no bedliner, no added rockrail options that might weigh more.

My Sport S was fully optioned at the factory and dropped from 1600 advertised payload down to 1434 when it arrived…a drop of 166 pounds. A tonneau of any secure substance alone will take away 50-75 pounds.

What factory options did you choose?

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
FWIW, my 2021 has the following factory options:

3.0 Diesel
8.4 Audio
Aux Switches
Tow Package
Remote Proximity
3 Piece Hard Top
Roll-Up Tonneau Cover

My payload, 1,005lbs.

With a 750lb tongue weight, I think you are already beyond what the JT is designed to pull.

Beyond that, with 1,005lbs of payload like me and 750lbs of trailer tongue weight. Any luggage and a person gets you over weight.

I know that I have a heavier bumper, winch, air compressor, tow straps, snatch blocks (x2), shovel, jumper cables, tie downs and have sliders waiting to be welded... I'd be scared to tow anything that big really.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Depending on what you’ve got going on with it, no one is going to be able to say exactly what your curb weight is or cargo capacity.

On the weight of accessories. It depends. Which tonneau cover? Which lights? Etc. My tri-fold bed cover…I’m guessing…was 30-40 lbs. My current camper shell…no idea what it actually weighs. I’ve heard numbers all over the board.

If you go with a soft tonneau cover w/roll-up material, that’s probably x < 20 lbs.

On your travel trailer…if you’re at 5,800 lbs gear-free with 1/3 tank of water and low on propane, I find it hard to believe you won’t be over 6,000 lbs when you try to hit the road with it fully loaded/provisioned.

Add in the weight of a couple humans, dogs, anything at all in the bed, etc…you’ll likely be over weight.

My two cents…bigger truck or smaller trailer. As you haven’t taken delivery of the JTR yet…I’d think that one over.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There's no point in looking anything up. You would be overloaded.
Everyone loves to throw out that 7000 pound number but it's an unicorn.
That is a bone stock vehicle with a 150 pound driver, no passengers, no cargo, not even a toothpick in a cup holder.

There is a maximum tongue weight, no one has thrown in a weight distrubution/anti sway hitch yet.

If you want to keep your 6000 pound empty trailer, you need a different tow vehicle. If you want a Gladiator, you need a different camper.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
A 750 tongue weight will exceed that of the Rubicon which has a max tongue of 700 per the owners manual so be careful with that.

1160 is completely factory, as in soft top, no bedliner, no added rockrail options that might weigh more.

My Sport S was fully optioned at the factory and dropped from 1600 advertised payload down to 1434 when it arrived…a drop of 166 pounds. A tonneau of any secure substance alone will take away 50-75 pounds.

What factory options did you choose?
Mine's 1216 lbs, with a hard top, spray in liner, headliner, metal bumpers, and when stock, I had the mud tires. They all come with rock rails with no other option. 1160 lbs. seems to be on the lower side for a Rubicon. Completely base is 1250lbs for a rubicon. I'd think most would be around 1190 to 1230. I base that on the fact that I have the heavy options (except I have the cloth seats), and mine is still 1216, but a stick. An auto is only very slightly heavier.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of what the exact number is, you probably need more truck.

If you think that 30 lbs here and 20 lbs there is going to make a difference, you aren't paying attention to the big stuff.

You will be at the limit of what a Gladiator can practically haul, regardless of the model. Nothing tows well at its limit. Even a stripped Max Tow is going to suck. Same power, same chassis, same cooling, same transmission. The only difference is a slightly lower gear ratio (smaller tires), slightly less weight, and slightly stiffer springs.

It will still suck. Good luck. ;-)

On the plus side, you are retired, so you won't have to log 1000 mile days.

You can drive for a couple of hours and call it a day. I've towed a lot with tow vehicles at the limit. Its easy around town. But on the highway its exhausting with the trailer moving the truck around. I call that "tail wagging the dog syndrome".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

You are figuring only 200 pounds in the trailer?
No chart. And it seems to vary a bit, too - my 2020 Overland had a higher payload rating than my 2022 Overland. Go figure.
Go by the sticker and forget trying to outsmart the system.

And like said - don't even think of 750 pounds tongue weight.

When a truck says it can tow 7,000 pounds, don't take it at its word. I'd never tow at the maximum even with a bigger truck.

That is a bone stock vehicle with a 150 pound driver, no passengers, no cargo, not even a toothpick in a cup holder.

There is a maximum tongue weight, no one has thrown in a weight distrubution/anti sway hitch yet.

If you want to keep your 6000 pound empty trailer, you need a different tow vehicle. If you want a Gladiator, you need a different camper.
Yeah, what he said. In a nutshell.
Smarter people have tried to figure it out - don't waste your time. Your payload will be what the sticker says.

Max tow is the towing version of these, not Rubicon. Rubicon is aimed at another audience.

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
You should've known you were in the wrong when you said 750 pounds of tongue weight. On a gladiator. Sheesh. Lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all of the replies. I knew I was at the limit and might have to either switch to a MaxTow or lighter trailer. To clarify for everyone, my 6,000 lb fully loaded trailer estimate is a good one. I weighed it fully provisioned except for groceries and a week's worth of clothing, etc. All of our linens, cookware, pots pans, chairs, tables, grills, cleaning supplies, etc were already loaded. When I weighed everything the other day with the 1500, and one person on board, the GCW was at 12,000 lbs exactly. The GCWR for a Rubicon is 12,450 lbs. Admittedly, very little margin, even assuming the weight of the Ram EcoDiesel is likely more than the Gladiator 3.6L.

I have towed this trailer with a Grand Cherokee and a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Believe it or not the 1500's payload on the sticker is only 1003 lbs! I towed it from LA to Kansas and back with 3 people and didn't have any trouble. It also did well up the eastern Sierras and into Death Valley. The GC towed it acceptably well up the coast and over a pass to Anza Borrego and back with 200lbs more freshwater than the weighed configuration too.

Regarding tongue weight, I redistributed weight in the trailer the other day and got it down to 700lbs. There might be additional steps I can take there too, but it will never be less than 650lbs. One assumption I made is thinking some airbag assists for the rear springs would help deal with the tongue weight. Is that an incorrect assumption? For the record, I have a Fastway weight distribution/antisway hitch that I'll have to adjust for the Gladiator.

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Mine's 1216 lbs, with a hard top, spray in liner, headliner, metal bumpers, and when stock, I had the mud tires. They all come with rock rails with no other option. 1160 lbs. seems to be on the lower side for a Rubicon. Completely base is 1250lbs for a rubicon. I'd think most would be around 1190 to 1230. I base that on the fact that I have the heavy options (except I have the cloth seats), and mine is still 1216, but a stick. An auto is only very slightly heavier.
So your '21 Rubicon payload on the doorjamb sticker is 1216 lbs? Where did you get the 1250 lb number for a stock Rubicon? The Jeep website says the '22 Rubicon Payload is 1160 lbs no matter how I configure it. I checked one '22 Rubicon on the lot and it's payload was 1071 lbs. That's what started me worrying, and sharpening the pencil, to see how far from the spec limits I might be.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
So your '21 Rubicon payload on the doorjamb sticker is 1216 lbs? Where did you get the 1250 lb number for a stock Rubicon? The Jeep website says the '22 Rubicon Payload is 1160 lbs no matter how I configure it. I checked one '22 Rubicon on the lot and it's payload was 1071 lbs. That's what started me worrying, and sharpening the pencil, to see how far from the spec limits I might be.
Yes, my doorjamb sticker says 1216 lbs. Mine is a 2021, though. Maybe they got heavier for '22. I don't think much changed, but it wouldn't surprise me. GVWR is 6250, and payload is 1216. Empty weight is in the very high 4ks, but I don't feel like going out and looking at my registration right now to see what exactly the empty weight was now though 😉. Payload is definitely 1216 on mine (or it was before the 35s, wheels, and skid plates, anyway)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

The trailer wasn't empty. It was fully provisioned except for groceries and some clothes...

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You are figuring only 200 pounds in the trailer?
No chart. And it seems to vary a bit, too - my 2020 Overland had a higher payload rating than my 2022 Overland. Go figure.
Go by the sticker and forget trying to outsmart the system.

And like said - don't even think of 750 pounds tongue weight.

When a truck says it can tow 7,000 pounds, don't take it at its word. I'd never tow at the maximum even with a bigger truck.

Yeah, what he said. In a nutshell.
Smarter people have tried to figure it out - don't waste your time. Your payload will be what the sticker says.

Max tow is the towing version of these, not Rubicon. Rubicon is aimed at another audience.
When I ordered the Gladiator I wasn't even aware of the MaxTow version. My head says that's what I should go with. The good thing is I can always change the order, or not take delivery. Which is why I started this thread.
Sponsored