Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Stupid question, where can one find a scale?
As mentioned above CAT scales are the most common. I'd say you'll find a scale at 50-75% of the truck stops you see along the highways.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
There was a guy running 8900 pounds gvw on his overlanding gladiator with tens of thousands of on and off road miles just fine. Will it wear it out quicker? Yeah. Will it drive worse? I'm 100% sure. Is it unsafe? Only if you drive like an idiot.
Spoken like someone who has never encountered a deer.

Anyone running that kind of weight on a Gladiator is a massive asshole who needs to be removed from the gene pool.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Spoken like someone who has never encountered a deer.

Anyone running that kind of weight on a Gladiator is a massive asshole who needs to be removed from the gene pool.
I'm just citing an extreme example of the truck not falling apart just because you added some weight to it which is what people seem to think happens if you go over the payload by 10 pounds. I'm not condoning an 8900 pound gladiator, but this idea that if you go to 6500 instead of 6250 your truck becomes an undriveable wrecking ball is just ludicrous. People drove and still drive trucks and cars that handle and brake even worse and they still get around safely. Its about understanding your vehicles dynamics. If you need to haul a heavy load, stay off the highway, stick to the back roads, and dont drive any faster than you need to.

If you know your truck cant brake for shit, drive like it cant brake for shit. If you know you cant corner at 65, dont do 65. Common sense goes a long way towards getting somewhere safely is all I'm saying.

Hitting a deer is about 75% bad luck and 25% everything else. If the deer decides he's gonna play red rover 4 feet from your bumper and its pitch black, aint nothing gonna save you so just hit the brakes and stay in your lane.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Hitting a deer (actually a large buck) happened to me whilst driving my wife’s Volt, now I only drive the Gladiator at or after dusk/dark. The next deer that wants to play chicken, is going to loose. I managed to go 40 years before that buck collided with me. I hope this will be the last time.
Cheers

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Hitting a deer is about 75% bad luck and 25% everything else. If the deer decides he's gonna play red rover 4 feet from your bumper and its pitch black, aint nothing gonna save you so just hit the brakes and stay in your lane.
But this illustrates my point - things are ok until they're not. Say you know you can't take a 65 corner at 65 so you take it at 55 but now a deer pops up. Slamming your brakes will absolutely put you into oncoming traffic if not on your lid and hitting the deer is likely to upset the balance of your truck too. There gets to be a point where "common sense" actions to mitigate poor decisions become unreasonable. It's better to not put yourself in these situations and buy a vehicle appropriate for all the shit you want to carry.

This is really why I have such hatred for most broverlander youtube channels because they've normalized running 1.5k over your GVWR and glorified all the crap you don't need to get out there.

Sponsored

ranger5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave, 37" KO2s, AEV 2" lift, Tazer
But this illustrates my point - things are ok until they're not. Say you know you can't take a 65 corner at 65 so you take it at 55 but now a deer pops up. Slamming your brakes will absolutely put you into oncoming traffic if not on your lid and hitting the deer is likely to upset the balance of your truck too. There gets to be a point where "common sense" actions to mitigate poor decisions become unreasonable. It's better to not put yourself in these situations and buy a vehicle appropriate for all the shit you want to carry.

This is really why I have such hatred for most broverlander youtube channels because they've normalized running 1.5k over your GVWR and glorified all the crap you don't need to get out there.
Even with no load, these Gladiators steer and brake WAAAAAY worse than most cars. On the other side of the scale, there are plenty of box trucks and other vehicles that drive WAAAAY worse than a fully loaded Gladiator. These Jeeps will never be sports cars, and box trucks will never be Jeeps. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be driven on the road. It also means that IF someone maybe didn't have a load, or was driving a different vehicle, sure, maybe they would avoid the deer.

The point bleda2002 is making is that as long as a person is driving in a manner consistent with the vehicle's dynamics, it is OK. Noone is condoning overloading and driving recklessly. The point is that if you are close to the load range, and do it occasionally, and drive safely, it's not the end of the world.

quantumleap39

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 hummer, 1987 firebird, 1929 Mercedes
not sure, all I know is I can toss 30 bags of wood Pellets in the back of my Mojave and it is fine,,, btw 1 bag is 40lbs so 1200lbs in the bed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
not sure, all I know is I can toss 30 bags of wood Pellets in the back of my Mojave and it is fine,,, btw 1 bag is 40lbs so 1200lbs in the bed.
Yep - 25 concrete wall blocks at about 50 pounds each in my Overland, no issue.

Bags of pellets would lay nicely in the bed, evenly distributed.

I dunno why people still say these drive or handle worse than whatever - mine is fine. drives and handles as well as any truck I've had now that the steering gear is replaced. It's been all over the place - loaded, not loaded, mountains, plains, hills, interstates of CO and IN, back roads of Iowa, drives/handles fine. Granted it's no rack and pinion equipped fast ratio SUV but for a truck, it's fine. No worse than any truck I've had and a heck of a lot better than my grain trucks ever were.
Pike's Peak road or doing 85 on I35 with roughly 70 mph cross-winds, no trouble.
Sponsored