1086lb Payload capacity, Mojave. What?

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
961 lbs? Thats pathetic. Me, wife and two teenage boys will have fun never leaving the house for groceries, let alone plywood or camping....
I am thankful that Indiana doesn’t have a front license plate requirement. It’s like getting a free extra pound of payload.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am thankful that Indiana doesn’t have a front license plate requirement. It’s like getting a free extra pound of payload.
Damn - is Indiana still using leather or steel/porcelain plates?

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Auto, Rubicon, hard top. 1,253 LBS.

Jeep Gladiator 1086lb Payload capacity, Mojave. What? 683456C9-EB97-4BB9-BDD6-8A0427D156F0

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Auto, Rubicon, hard top. 1,253 LBS.

Jeep Gladiator 1086lb Payload capacity, Mojave. What? 683456C9-EB97-4BB9-BDD6-8A0427D156F0
So, my manual Rubicon must weigh about 37lbs more than your auto. Interesting. Do you have the steel front bumper? Bedliner? Towing package? MT tires? Just trying to figure out how mine got to be such a fat pig! I'm at 1216 lbs, and I assume your GVWR is the same as mine at 6250 lbs. I didn't realize these stickers were that precise. Maybe I got more nacho paint than you?

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
So, my manual Rubicon must weigh about 37lbs more than your auto. Interesting. Do you have the steel front bumper? Bedliner? Towing package? MT tires? Just trying to figure out how mine got to be such a fat pig! I'm at 1216 lbs, and I assume your GVWR is the same as mine at 6250 lbs. I didn't realize these stickers were that precise. Maybe I got more nacho paint than you?
1086 checking in, you calling me a whale? :CWL:

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I do have the plastic bumper, so there’s that.

I have cold weather package, blind spot sensor, MT tires, upgraded rims, LED lights, gasoline engine, and tow package.

I do not have the forward collision sensor, factory spray In bedliner (though I did line-x it), nor do I have the upgrade audio system (just the base 7” CarPlay stereo).

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I realize I never listed my options.

Mojave
AT
Leather
Freedom Top
Active Safety Group

That's it. 1086. Imagine if I loaded it up!

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I do have the plastic bumper, so there’s that.

I have cold weather package, blind spot sensor, MT tires, upgraded rims, LED lights, gasoline engine, and tow package.

I do not have the forward collision sensor, factory spray In bedliner (though I did line-x it), nor do I have the upgrade audio system (just the base 7” CarPlay stereo).

Hope that helps.
Must be the metal front bumper and factory bedliner. Otherwise, we're identically equipped besides transmissions and wheels. Didn't realize that stuff was so heavy!

Dmc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Retired
1059 for me. Hardtop,Leather and tow package. It was the reason I went with the diamondback SE. No need for the heavy top and couldnt carry the extra weight anyway.
Jeep Gladiator 1086lb Payload capacity, Mojave. What? 9E4FCCB7-1111-4C93-8909-110BEFDD0FBF

JTSchnell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The dual top group will drop your payload rating on the sticker as well, as they calculate in the weight of both. This shows that the payload number may not be accurate for how you’re rolling down the road. I know I don’t usually carry around both tops at the same time.

I think people are worrying far too much about the payload number on the sticker. That number is just based on exactly how your Jeep rolled off the factory floor, plus 150 lbs for driver, subtracted from the GVWR. What that means is the thing that matters is not exceeding that GVWR. So if you’re concerned, load up your Jeep and head to the scale. If you’re under GVWR your payload is good, regardless of how the weights of your actual payload and the listed payload on the sticker compare.

(Obviously tow ratings matter as well if you’re towing, but that’s not the subject of my comment.)
Stupid question, where can one find a scale?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
What I think is funny about all of this is how pickup truck owners fret about payload but I've never seen an SUV owner give a shit about loading 2k worth of people, gear, and equipment in their 3 row and then drive down the road fine.

I know I'm in the internet minority, but for around town occasional use, if i have to load something and it fits in the bed, i'm probably hauling it with out thinking too hard on if i'm a few hundred pounds over payload that was a made up number based on some random gvwr that was calculated with no one knows how much extra. I'm not saying load up 3K and go to town, but if my payload is 1200 and i have 1400 in the truck, i'm not honestly going to lose sleep over it.

There was a guy running 8900 pounds gvw on his overlanding gladiator with tens of thousands of on and off road miles just fine. Will it wear it out quicker? Yeah. Will it drive worse? I'm 100% sure. Is it unsafe? Only if you drive like an idiot.
Sponsored