Official Press Release: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Specs & Photos

IDjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangle JK Sport
I think it's a bit strange too that the Overlands don't seem to have Selec-Trac as an option, since they're more or less Sahara equivalents. I wouldn't give up hope on 4-Auto just yet until we get some more info.
Pretty sure select-trac is an option that I saw somewhere but cannot find it now and missing from the spec sheets...so i am likely mistaken. Makes me wonder if there are issue with Select-trac and towing or has to do with the CV joint vs u joint.... interesting!
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The 4wd Auto system doesn’t seem to affect the tow ratings on any of the full size trucks like Ram and Ford.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
European Jeeps are weird and irrelevant. So yes. :P

But realistically it wouldn't surprise me if it happened if the market seemed to want it. But a full time case goes against the purpose of a Rubi in the first place, which was the hard core offroad package. Full time cases are weaker, and a great for crappy road conditions, but generally not as much for rock crawling.
Agreed on all points, which is why they offer Selec-Trac on the Sahara Moab package on the JL. It's just not fit for a Rubi. Maybe eventually with the Overland...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Technically speaking is there any reason they couldn’t design a chain driven tcase with SelecTrac and a 4:1 Low ratio while maintaining the durability? I know it hasn’t been done and isn’t exactly easy to engineer but I would think its possible.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Ugly and useless as a truck.
They should have come out with a two door extended cab and a longer bed.
Make the bed long and wide enough for a sheet of plywood.
Would be nice if you could open up the back like an Avalanche to get an 8' piece in the bed and close the gate.

Oh, and the Diesel

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
Would be nice if you could open up the back like an Avalanche to get an 8' piece in the bed and close the gate.

Oh, and the Diesel
giphy.gif

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...They should have come out with a two door extended cab and a longer bed...
Wouldn’t it be Great if there was a thread Specifically about this topic so the determined 2-door guys could post & post without cluttering up other threads? :clap:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Oh, and the Diesel
Hey, at least this issue frees you up to do other things now, right? As for me (and most of the world), I think it’s AWESOME!

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Oh, and the Diesel
On the other hand, JT has a 1600 lb payload tows up to 7600 lbs and plywood fits in the bed on the fender wells with tailgate at half lock. To me a 2 door is useless because I usually travel with more than 2 people. In my case, If I only wanted a work vehicle I’d buy a full-size 3/4 ton truck. Hopefully, the 2 door will be an option for folks down the road.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Just like the other guys have said it is not a work truck and never was intended to be. I think they got it right as a “lifestyle vehicle.” A 2 door version is useless to me, if I go hunting with a couple buddies I don’t want my kids and dog to have to ride outside. I wonder if people are trolling the Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado forums crybabying about how they want a two door that will carry a sheet of plywood.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Oh, and the Diesel
nice First (and last?) post.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Technically speaking is there any reason they couldn’t design a chain driven tcase with SelecTrac and a 4:1 Low ratio while maintaining the durability? I know it hasn’t been done and isn’t exactly easy to engineer but I would think its possible.
I think the cases that were in the H3 with the off road/adventure group were that way. Found a post where a guy ordered a new one straight from the dealer for $1300.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Gee Guys I'm really sorry, I thought this was an open forum where everyone could have their own opinion.
I didn't realize that only like minded people could have an opinion and all others would be flamed if they said something.

I understand that they sell more 4 doors than two...But to me this is a Useless Butt Ugly Truck and that's my opinion.
You have your's and I have mine...Period!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
In general this type of forum is for people who want to come and discuss the pros and cons of a vehicle with the vast majority leaning towards the pros. I subscribe to the theory my grandmother taught us that if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say it. I see some guys walking around with butt ugly wives and hot women with old fat guys. I have an opinion on the situations but what value does it add to the conversation for me to comment negatively? Why come to a mid size lifestyle truck forum and complain that a mid sized lifestyle truck is not a work truck? There are plenty of trucks that do what you want to do, so unless your goal is to purposely insult our choice to buy Gladiator why comment at all?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Perhaps a poll to canvass a two door/access cab with a 6.5 bed for 2022 would be warranted to see how many folks would actually be interested in purchasing that vehicle. Also quite a few people seem happy with the new turbo 4 in the JL, maybe a poll for that for 2022 also. If priced right, the JT can push Tacoma for sales leader. Lots of unhappy Tacoma owners (shifting, drivetrain, no front seat adjustment, and no rear leg room).
Sponsored