Sponsored

Car And Driver - Gladiator vs Colorado vs Ranger vs Ridgeline

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Some surprising data on this comparison test.

1 - Despite Jeep claiming "class-leading" payload and towing, the Gladiator tested had by far the worst payload.

Only 988 lbs for the Gladiator vs 1,476, 1,479, 1,493 for the others. Even the minivan-based Ridgeline had ˜500lbs more actual payload.

2 - It had the worst performance off road - much worse than even Ridgeline mini-van.

"the Jeep was even less comfortable on Hollister Hills' slippery trails than the Honda, which senior editor Tony Quiroga dubbed a "dachshund." A dachshund might scrape its belly here and there, but even with 10.0 inches of ground clearance, the most in the test, the Gladiator would belly-flop into the mud with a wet thwap and noisily drag its frame rails over crests and bumps that the drivers of the Colorado and Ranger didn't notice."

3 - Even with the longest wheelbase (9-12 inches longer than the others - why?!?), it had poor ride on road, with same nasty remarks from the reviewers. Ford didn't too well on that either.

Unsurprisingly, it was the most fun (we knew that) and had the most stratospheric price (even though it was not even close to being top of the line it was $15K+ more expensive than the others.). All in all it finished third out of four.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...gladiator-chevrolet-colorado-honda-ridgeline/

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 4.39.54 PM.png
Sponsored

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
They were comparing the overland? That seems like a stacked deck.

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Humm....wouldn't the Rubicon be even heavier (meaning even lower payload) and $5K more expensive (making it over $20K or ˜50% more expensive than the others)?

How would that improve the picture?

P.S. This is the first test that I know of, that actually weighed all the competitors (like Car and Driver typically does) and gave us real world payload of typical configurations. The ZR1 like the Overland is one notch below the top. The Ranger and Ridgeline were in their top configurations.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Humm....wouldn't the Rubicon be even heavier (meaning even lower payload) and $5K more expensive (making it over $20K or ˜50% more expensive than the others)?

How would that improve the picture?

P.S. This is the first test that I know of, that actually weighed all the competitors (like Car and Driver typically does) and gave us real world payload of typical configurations. The ZR1 like the Overland is one notch below the top. The Ranger and Ridgeline were in their top configurations.
Rubicon has more payload than the “luxury” overland. Also if you are comparing off road trucks bringing the overland to the table instead of the rubicon is like sending a boy out to fight vs a gladiator. You would think an outlet like car and driver would do a more apples to apples comparison like tfl has done. This test was just setting the gladiator up for failure.

Yes it’s still expensive but typically a convertible version of a sports car is so why wouldn’t that be true with a truck? Hell you even pay more for a sun roof.

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Rubicon has more payload than the “luxury” overland.
The barebones Rubicon, equipped for maximum payload, and completely stripped of all heavy accessories Rubicon would have an absolutely maximum payload of 1,190lbs (per Jeep's website).

That is already pitiful compared to the the others as tested . Typically equipped, the Rubicon would be much lower than that still.

The Rubicon may be many things, but an answer to the 500 lbs of payload deficit vs the competition it is not.

Sponsored

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
I've driven both the JL and JT neither impressed me enough to purchase one.
I did however purchase a second Trackhawk for the wife.
I'm glad I hung up on the Launch Edition phone call.
But others will like them.
It's a great half ton Jeep pickup.

dgreen1069

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion, 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat, 2014 Harley CVO Limited
Came here to post the same article and noticed you beat me to it. Funny to see how well the Honda did. They hated it's looks but couldn't take away from the ride and interior.

The Gladiator isn't going to fair too well in many comparisons because it is priced so much higher than it's main competitors. I'm almost willing to bet there will be discounts on these rigs by the end of the year.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
I can’t to post this also and saw ...

Man that article really was unkind to the Gladiator. Wish that had tested a Sport or a Rubicon with off-road tires instead of this. Oh well. Story of my life. The cars I buy are always underrated as hell. I like them that way.

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Reviewers don't always get to pick the vehicle they review--it depends on which press fleet vehicles are available when they do the testing.

That said, I think this is an interesting comparison. It is basically comparing the volume versions of each truck--these are what most people expect will be the best selling versions of each truck with some kind of off-road claims. The ZR2, Lariat, and Rubicon are nice, but not what most people end up buying.

Most of what I've seen and read so far has claimed that any version of the Gladiator is going to be as good or better than any other midsize truck for off-roading, so it's useful to see a review that shows this might not be the case. At a minimum the tires are going to matter a lot.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
“The Jeep was, hands down, every voter's favorite. You can't not smile while driving it...”

That folks is the reason why people spend their money.

Sponsored

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Most of what I've seen and read so far has claimed that any version of the Gladiator is going to be as good or better than any other midsize truck for off-roading, so it's useful to see a review that shows this might not be the case. At a minimum the tires are going to matter a lot.
The fact that Gladiator's wheelbase is basically a foot longer than the other vehicles in the class will be a horrible liability off-road.

I simply can't understand why the Gladiator has such a huge wheelbase. It basically on par with the others on towing, much worse on payload, and drags the belly off-road. And ride worse on-road.

What was the benefit of that huge wheelbase? I was considering the Gladiator Rubicon, until they published the wheelbase and length.

OP
OP

baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock
“The Jeep was, hands down, every voter's favorite. You can't not smile while driving it...”

Yep. That is clear.

The question is, will it be sustainable after the novelty wears off?

I think this market segment will be too competitive to have a $15K premium, even with all the "fun factor", after the first year or two.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
The fact that Gladiator's wheelbase is basically a foot longer than the other vehicles in the class will be a horrible liability off-road.

I simply can't understand why the Gladiator has such a huge wheelbase. It basically on par with the others on towing, much worse on payload, and drags the belly off-road. And ride worse on-road.

What was the benefit of that huge wheelbase? I was considering the Gladiator Rubicon, until they published the wheelbase and length.
The wheel base is long for 2 reasons.

1 - largest backseat in the segment
2 - Front wheels are the farthest forward in the segment

Both of these are due to sharing design/parts with the JL rather than just engineering a truck from scratch. Not saying I like it but that is the answer to your question.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I agree, should have been a Sport S as comparable.

So true.....how can you get tired of a Jeep

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. That is clear.

The question is, will it be sustainable after the novelty wears off?

I think this market segment will be too competitive to have a $15K premium, even with all the "fun factor", after the first year or two.
Yep. The Gladiator won’t be a mass market leader. It’s not designed to be that. It’s a lifestyle vehicle. If resale value stays high, like the Wrangler, then it will carve out its niche and the aftermarket will embrace it.

Now, if you’re Ford, you’re kinda screwed when no one is buying your new (old) mid-sized truck.
Sponsored