Sponsored

Adding a winch to the plastic front bumper?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I came across this:

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90205.htm

and was wondering if it would work for the stock bumper on my gladiator?

I thought it might save me a lot of money not buying a new bumper so i could get a better winch. What do you think? I've never done this before so excuse my ignorance if this is a really bad idea.
Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I don't think having the winch mounted that high is a very good idea. It's going to have real effects on airflow thru the radiator. A lot of work was done massaging the grill to improve flow to achieve enough cooling to support the towing capacity of the JT. Having the winch inside the bumper is the way to go.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I came across this:

I thought it might save me a lot of money not buying a new bumper so i could get a better winch. What do you think? I've never done this before so excuse my ignorance if this is a really bad idea.
Another option would be to add a front receiver and a receiver winch mount. It would put the winch out in front of the bumper. Curt 31086 and 31009.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I came across this:

I agree it is cheaper, but, there are major drawbacks which you already know --- radiator air flow, and it is not pretty (this is subjective). I went the Mopar steel bumper route but it is very expensive. Personally, I would go with an inexpensive aftermarket winch bumper before I would consider this. Another thought - The plastic bumper is junk anyway, why throw good money at it to make it acceptable when it never will be ?

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
please don't. I like your gladiator. get a cool bumper 1st, then a winch. Thats what I'm gonna do. A little at a time. but tastefully
giphy.gif?cid=790b76112b20bad32827750b691b9191d7806a432acd1741&rid=giphy.gif

Last edited:

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
Would like to see numbers on how the winch in front of the grill would affect towing. The grill on the gladiator looks identical to the one on the JL. I dont think they changed anything to affect towing. Maybe underneath/behind, but the grill... meh

I concur though about getting an AM bumper, cost is negligible compared to what they want for that plate. I have a HF winch plate sitting in garage. Thought about mounting it to the rails, and cutting the plastic on the bumper in front of the fair-lead (sits shorter then the one OP posted). But i can get a new bumper for 250 thats steel.

OP, i am going with a bumper that has the winch sitting on top, need a place for my license plate. With the pics i have seen on the JL, i dont foresee it blocking enough airflow to cause any issues.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Would like to see numbers on how the winch in front of the grill would affect towing. The grill on the gladiator looks identical to the one on the JL. I dont think they changed anything to affect towing. Maybe underneath/behind, but the grill... meh
The JT grills are wider and the mesh screen has larger openings than on the JL.

788dee41-93fd-4333-9465-4297fade9c66-jpeg.jpg

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
Thanks for pic @jurfie

But are there any numbers? Or is this based on that information alone, on a first year model?

Also add - by that reasoning, the max tow package would have a wider grill then the non. right? Does it?

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
No, same widen grill, which was to increase air flow. I would not mount a winch on top the bumper either.
Cheers

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I am going to do a custom winch mount in my plastic bumper like I did on my JK if I can’t find a bumper that I like soon. It will sit down between the frame rails. I did this with my Jk and it was not that difficult. I bet you could get a local fab shop or farmer to build a bracket for you if you don’t have the tools or the skills

I will post photos of my Jk once my Wifi is back up.

Last edited:

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I can literally carry my OEM JT bumper in one arm.. it weighs like 30 pounds. How would that hold to to a major winching effort? I personally wouldn't. I just didn't see enough metal/steel on that thing.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I can literally carry my OEM JT bumper in one arm.. it weighs like 30 pounds. How would that hold to to a major winching effort? I personally wouldn't. I just didn't see enough metal/steel on that thing.
If you do it right the winch plate is the only thing under any amount of stress. I pulled many of trees out of the woods with my JK setup.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for pic @jurfie

But are there any numbers? Or is this based on that information alone, on a first year model?

Also add - by that reasoning, the max tow package would have a wider grill then the non. right? Does it?
There's an interview article around here somewhere with an FCA engineer that describes what they did to increase airflow for adequate cooling while towing. Among them were wider grille slots, larger holes, and higher capacity fans.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's an interview article around here somewhere with an FCA engineer that describes what they did to increase airflow for adequate cooling while towing. Among them were wider grille slots, larger holes, and higher capacity fans.
Yeah, that grill took them a lot of effort. There was a ton of engineering that went into the AIR FLOW and cooling for the towing abilities on these.
Read this and you'll see the grill size is a big deal on the JT -

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453
Sponsored