Sponsored

Overland: Mopar lift and mud tire impact?

BCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
My Overland is a great daily driver, nice ride and good road manners.. So why am I thinking about a 2” Mopar lift and larger mud tires? Well, if I’m honest, it’s partially because of the look. Though I do go a bit off-road getting to some single track bicycle trails, which the standard setup handles nicely. Mainly sandy terrain.

For those that have made this modification to an Overland, what change did it make to your tarmac performance?

thanks.
Sponsored

Jet225

First Name
JET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
I changed to 35x12.50 r20 all terrains and the molar lift. My mpg dropped to about 17.5, but I drive it easy and all on flat ground. Didn’t change anything of note other than that.

Reactions: BCC

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Why mud tires if you are in sand? Look at AT's for better all around utilization. Mud tires whine alot louder than AT's.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
35/12.5 Trail Grappler MTs. MPG is okay until you pass 75 and it goes straight to hell. Clayton lift that got me 3.5-4".

Reactions: BCC

Bruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Outback
I didn't do a Mopar lift but did a Rubi take off and Teraflex leveling kit. I haven't changed tires yet but will be shortly. I think it is ideal for me. No change so far with MPG but I expect a little change once I get some bigger tires. I am not going crazy with the tires, probably just 33s.

Sponsored

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
I have an Overland with a 2 inch Mopar Lift and 35 inch Falken Wildpeak ATs. My MPG is 14-15 but I only have 2500 miles on the truck. I was told that the MPG should go up after the engine is "broken in". My ride is pretty good for a jeep. Not too much road noise although it is more audible compared to the stock All seasons. My suggestion would be to decide what you value more: ride comfort or look and then go from there. I came from a F150 and it rode like a Cadillac compared to the JT. A Rebel or a Raptor would feel like floating on a cloud compared to the JT. There's nothing you can do to make the JT ride like any of those vehicles so just go for the look that you want and put up with the noise or just stick with the all seasons for a more comfortable/quieter ride.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I have an Overland with a 2 inch Mopar Lift and 35 inch Falken Wildpeak ATs. My MPG is 14-15 but I only have 2500 miles on the truck. I was told that the MPG should go up after the engine is "broken in". My ride is pretty good for a jeep. Not too much road noise although it is more audible compared to the stock All seasons. My suggestion would be to decide what you value more: ride comfort or look and then go from there. I came from a F150 and it rode like a Cadillac compared to the JT. A Rebel or a Raptor would feel like floating on a cloud compared to the JT. There's nothing you can do to make the JT ride like any of those vehicles so just go for the look that you want and put up with the noise or just stick with the all seasons for a more comfortable/quieter ride.
Hi Jason, If you think you are going to get any better mpg with the 3.73 gears and 35's then you are in for a surprise. But Houston is fairly flat so you may get 16. I just upgraded the Overland to 4.56 gears as I have to go up hills no matter what direction I travel (uless west then I need pontoons!).

Phan7omk7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
On my Overland setup, I put 35x12.5x18 Toyo Open Country AT2 with no lift. I originally wanted to get MTs but since I am mostly street driving with occasional offroading, I decided to get the AT2. The tire is pretty aggressive looking and has minimal road noise. Still contemplating on a lift but am satisfied with the overall look and function. It does rub a little on tight turns but not much of an issue.

38E82F1A-66C3-4E6E-82A3-4FD395DC9F66.jpeg

OP
OP

BCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Why mud tires if you are in sand? Look at AT's for better all around utilization. Mud tires whine alot louder than AT's.
Ok, great question.
Thanks for the info. My sales guy, who has had Jeeps, said mud tires or even the stock Overland tires, were better than AT, given the sand and rain in the summer, here in Fl. As you can tell, I’m a neophyte at all this.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just an FYI - I did the Rubicon Express lift/level kit and was able to comfortably fit 35s with room to spare. This is my 2020 Overland, and the kit was $250.
Jeep Gladiator Overland: Mopar lift and mud tire impact? 20201009_140053

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Ok, great question.

Thanks for the info. My sales guy, who has had Jeeps, said mud tires or even the stock Overland tires, were better than AT, given the sand and rain in the summer, here in Fl. As you can tell, I’m a neophyte at all this.
Your Sales guy sucks. AT's are better all arond. Mud tires suck on wet pavement ot snow.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Analyst
35x12.5x17 Cooper STT Pro's with Mopar 2.5" lift

JT.jpg

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
I put Falken Wildpeak at3w 265/70R18, one size bigger, on mine. I just got tired of the "car tire" look. Looks good to me. Snow flake rated, which is all I was looking for. No mudding for me, did that stuff back in the 70's.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Your Sales guy sucks. AT's are better all arond. Mud tires suck on wet pavement ot snow.
AT’s are the bee’s knees.

Don’t take advise from a sales guy. Ever.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
I put Falken Wildpeak at3w 265/70R18, one size bigger, on mine. I just got tired of the "car tire" look. Looks good to me. Snow flake rated, which is all I was looking for. No mudding for me, did that stuff back in the 70's.
Any significant MPG difference with these. This is my biggest concern with getting a set of all terrains put on over the factory all seasons. I'm really enjoying getting 22mpg in a wheeled brick. And considering the overwhelming majority of my driving time is spent on pavement doing errands and commuting, those mpgs are an important factor.
Sponsored