First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
It looks like @CreepyJeepy used a metal ruler, rather than a standard tape measure, so he could slide it up along side the coil isolator and get it all the way to the metal part of the coil seat. I think that's a good place to measure or reference to.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report back. Thanks
Sponsored

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Right, my bad, that was @22EcoDs that said his '22 Sport had the same 2.5" uptravel as OP. He also said his coil tower was at ~5.5", which appears to be 3/4" shorter that what CreepyJeepy measured on the '21. So you could compare/verify yours with 22EcoDs measurement above.
Oh... and to totally clear the air of my last brain fart...

@SargeDiesel , your 3 11/16" uptravel is now with your Mopar lift, right? So that's why you've got so much uptravel vs everyone else at stock.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Oh... and to totally clear the air of my last brain fart...

@SargeDiesel , your 3 11/16" uptravel is now with your Mopar lift, right? So that's why you've got so much uptravel vs everyone else at stock.
YES SIR !
I never got to see it stock, I took delivery with the lift installed.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
@JeepCares

With Jeep not saying anything on whats going on here, this is what I’m hypothesizing this is whats happened:

• Jeep prototypes the ecodiesel install on a 2019 JL, and determines there is some engine parts at risk. Mitigates by putting in an extra long bump on the first ecodiesel JLs.
  • Jeep engineers decide to do a “better” fix on the new 2021 JT ecodiesel by extending the coil retainer tubes. And maybe they went a little overboard on the length.
  • Jeep starts getting complaints about 2021 ecodiesels bottoming out
  • For 2022, jeep either moves the at risk engine components, or redesigns the coil retainer tubes to a “tighter tolerance” by making the 2022 coil retainer tubes shorter, and adding a flared collar around the bump.
The net result is there is at least two to four different coil retainer tube lengths now between JL, JT Gas, 2021 JT EcoD, and 2022 JT EcoD.

And Fox, King, EVO, Terraflex, ICON, JKS etc. etc. are all currently selling jounce bumps they say are universally compatible across those platforms with the same instructions on how far to cut back the retainer tubes. I know the shafts of these products are adjustable with set nuts on top/bottom to adjust the height, but have they really tested their products’ install on all these variations? Do they even know about these variations? Do they even reach the full length of the extended tubes after cutting back?

Some guy with a 2021 EcoD, who’s not a member on this forum, has bottomed out, taken it to his dealer who has told him that its “normal” for a car to bottom out on a speed bump at 10 mph. So he’s bought one of these products, and is sitting in his driveway with a saws-all ready to cut away at his truck without knowing this.

@JeepCares…. Do you follow?

If we don't get answers from FCA, maybe we need to start hitting up the manufacturers to see if they have better channels to find out.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
@JeepCares

With Jeep not saying anything on whats going on here, this is what I’m hypothesizing this is whats happened:

• Jeep prototypes the ecodiesel install on a 2019 JL, and determines there is some engine parts at risk. Mitigates by putting in an extra long bump on the first ecodiesel JLs.
  • Jeep engineers decide to do a “better” fix on the new 2021 JT ecodiesel by extending the coil retainer tubes. And maybe they went a little overboard on the length.
  • For 2022, jeep either moves the at risk engine components, or redesigns the coil retainer tubes to a “tighter tolerance” by making the 2022 coil retainer tubes shorter, and adding a flared collar around the bump.
The net result is there is at least two to four different coil retainer tube lengths now between JL, JT Gas, 2021 JT EcoD, and 2022 JT EcoD.

And Fox, King, EVO, Terraflex, ICON, JKS etc. etc. are all currently selling jounce bumps they say are universally compatible across those platforms with the same instructions on how far to cut back the retainer tubes. I know the shafts of these products are adjustable with set nuts on top/bottom to adjust the height, but have they really tested their products’ install on all these variations? Do they even know about these variations? Do they even reach the full length of the extended tubes after cutting back?

Some guy with a 2021 EcoD, who’s not a member on this forum, has bottomed out, taken it to his dealer who has told him that its “normal” for a car to bottom out on a speed bump at 10 mph. So he’s bought one of these products, and is sitting in his driveway with a saws-all ready to cut away at his truck without knowing this.

If we don't get answers from FCA, maybe we need to start hitting up the manufacturers to see if they have better channels to find out.
This ⬆ is why I joined this forum !

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
@JeepCares

OK... I was able to measure my coil/bump stop retainer tube (I suddenly hear drum rolls in my head).....

I got the same results as @CreepyJeepy . My measurement was 6-1/4". I didn't use a metal ruler because I used a mirror and looked up inside the housing. It is domed and round at the same time, so I couldn't get the end of the metal ruler to completely sit flat on the surface. I used a very thin wooden dowel (think wooden skewer) and then marked it at the lower metal lip of the coil/bump stop housing and then took my measurement off that. To double check, I re-measured it with a standard tape and got the same measurement. For people who have not measured it themselves, it's actually kind of a difficult measurement to take. I took a little off the tape measurement to account for a very slight bow. So between J-Creepy and I, I feel confident that it's safe to say it's very close to 6-6-1/4" (6.25).

*I think it's very possible @22EcoDs might have gotten a lesser measurement because maybe he got hung up on the coil itself or there is also a rubber piece in there as well... Not saying for sure or he is wrong, but just incase, maybe remeasure ?? You can fill up in the housing with your finger to see what I mean.... if you take your tape or whatever you are using to take the measurements, you can put it on the inside edge of the housing and then slide it all the way up until it hits the edge of the spring, this will be the upper starting point for the measurement.

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads CoilTube Measurement-1

Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads CoilTubeMeasurement-2

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_20220115_155705151
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_20220115_154955379
The metal tubes on mine measure at 6.25”

I used a metal ruler touching the top of the spring perch the metal not the coil isolator (making sure I am measuring the entire length of the tube) camera was level when I took the pic.

C9C8E907-F276-409A-9F0F-8D232AF401D0.jpeg
Question? Are you doing this measurement with tire off? Curious that you look to have 1" 5/16 or so between coils. I can only get a finger in-between mine. Also here are some measurements I took today. Metal rule was from top of inside spring perch like you did. The other with the tape measure is from the outside of spring perch.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
IMG_20220115_155705151.jpg
IMG_20220115_154955379.jpg

Question? Are you doing this measurement with tire off? Curious that you look to have 1" 5/16 or so between coils. I can only get a finger in-between mine. Also here are some measurements I took today. Metal rule was from top of inside spring perch like you did. The other with the tape measure is from the outside of spring perch.
looks like you are asking creepy, but He and I got the same measurements and I measured with the tire on and after mentioning the gap between coils, I looked and I have a much bigger gap (1-1/2") between coils after reviewing my pics. But I have the Mopar Lift.

Last edited:

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
I definitely hit a coil or rubber looking and feeling up in there now. I presume we all have the same metal length. Good point on the distance between coils, mine are tight.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I definitely hit a coil or rubber looking and feeling up in there now. I presume we all have the same metal length. Good point on the distance between coils, mine are tight.
The coils on my truck are not stock. Those are the mopar 2” lift coils.

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Ok…. So if the springs are the same part between 21 and 22….. and the coils are the same length (stock rubicon coils 21 and 22) the space difference could only be 2 things.

The new coils have not started sagging yet, or there is a different spring isolator above that he 22 coils. Like a spacer…???

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
What I also know is that I have approximately 1 3/4" from bump stop to contact point on axle. That dowel is 1 3/4" long.
Jeep Gladiator Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads IMG_20210614_121545790

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Ok…. So if the springs are the same part between 21 and 22….. and the coils are the same length (stock rubicon coils 21 and 22) the space difference could only be 2 things.

The new coils have not started sagging yet, or there is a different spring isolator above that he 22 coils. Like a spacer…???
When I did my measurements, I did not see or feel anything of a significant thickness to make up for any meaningful amount of space.... but can recheck......

Or

Is it also possible the entire housing is mounted differently ? Possibly something above the bell/dome of the coil tower... I can try to get a good pic to compare it to someones 21 if they can also take a picture.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
To me the only thing we know that is different right now is the actual bump stop.

next week I plan on going to the dealer and ordering some of those bumps, just to see how magical they are.
Sponsored