Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I sent an email to my salesman asking him to check this issue on '22 models on the lot and also contact Jeep for an answer, but the last time I hounded them for 3 months for an answer and no results I received 2 Trail Rated badges in the mail I perceived as please drop the matter.
Contact Scott Galbraith at Stew Hansens in West Des Moines. The guy knows Jeeps in general and Gladiator for sure.
You can tell him the guy with the hydro blue 2020 Overland sent you.
Sometimes things are beyond what he's been able to find but he DOES ask his service department if he doesn't have a solid answer. I've only stumped him a couple of times - and those times it wasn't his fault. No one in the Jeep world knew the answer at that time.
Sponsored

SURF&TURF

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
Occupation
Retired
Which dealer are you working with? Talking to some jeep owners in the area, some dealers are better with customer interaction than others. It's somewhat anoying how poor customer service is just part for the course from some dealers.
Chrysler Winona, I've bought 5 Jeeps from them and never had an issue. They've always treated me well and gave me $52,000 for my '20 JL that I bought from them 2 1/2 years ago for $52,989 and only had to put 2 sets of wiper blades on it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive

SURF&TURF

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD
Occupation
Retired
I've done some searching on forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer - is there a way to disable the honking when I step out of the vehicle with the keyfob in my pocket? It's really really really annoying.
I've searched for hours for an answer and only found more pissed Jeep & Ram owners with the same issue and the service dept. told them they couldn't disable that feature. I found on page 17 of my '22 owners manual under Key Left Vehicle Feature that the horn will chirp 3 times & the exterior lights will flash once when the engine is left running and the door is opened and all doors closed in order of the vehicle to check for the presence of a key fob; the key fob has left the vehicle will then be activated and then if no key fob is present the result is the annoying 3 loud horn blasts. I paid for the FOB to be a convenience so I wouldn't have to remove it from my pocket and the last time I left a door open the wind wrapped it around the fender and couldn't shut it. Hopefully an aftermarket flash will fix it or an animal sounding horn like a YETI scream, if I'm going to piss off the neighbors at 2am I might as well go all out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
auxSwitch

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
I've searched for hours for an answer and only found more pissed Jeep & Ram owners with the same issue and the service dept. told them they couldn't disable that feature. I found on page 17 of my '22 owners manual under Key Left Vehicle Feature that the horn will chirp 3 times & the exterior lights will flash once when the engine is left running and the door is opened and all doors closed in order of the vehicle to check for the presence of a key fob; the key fob has left the vehicle will then be activated and then if no key fob is present the result is the annoying 3 loud horn blasts. I paid for the FOB to be a convenience so I wouldn't have to remove it from my pocket and the last time I left a door open the wind wrapped it around the fender and couldn't shut it. Hopefully an aftermarket flash will fix it or an animal sounding horn like a YETI scream, if I'm going to piss off the neighbors at 2am I might as well go all out.
Yup, I was about to post - I got a message from the dealer saying that's a new feature on '22s and cant' be disabled.
Here is the said quote - so to my mind, the solution is to leave the door open. This also explains why it didn't chirp at me sometimes - I definitely closed the door when I encountered it the first time and I am most likely didn't close the door when I was getting mail, so it didn't chirp which confused me.

Jeep Gladiator Disable honking when stepping out while engine is running 1642692004240

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the solution is to not close the driver door fully if you intend to get back out?

Introduced with 2022 model year?
2020 doesn't have it. 2020 manual doesn't cover it. My truck doesn't do that.

OP
OP
auxSwitch

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
So the solution is to not close the driver door fully if you intend to get back out?

Introduced with 2022 model year?
2020 doesn't have it. 2020 manual doesn't cover it. My truck doesn't do that.
I meant - not close the door when I step out of the vehicle (and don't want it to chirp).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I meant - not close the door when I step out of the vehicle (and don't want it to chirp).
Thankfully I live were few would hear it honk if mine even did. And in the garage which is away from the house, when it honks I can barely hear it in the house when I do a remote start. Not a problem for me in any way at all, but I can see it being an issue for others who may live in a neighborhood where homes are close, or parked along the street and you take off at 4am and wake people up. Not good.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
Thankfully I live were few would hear it honk if mine even did. And in the garage which is away from the house, when it honks I can barely hear it in the house when I do a remote start. Not a problem for me in any way at all, but I can see it being an issue for others who may live in a neighborhood where homes are close, or parked along the street and you take off at 4am and wake people up. Not good.
Bill,
I know you've had your JScan for a while. I would expect they update the software regularly for security and to fix issues like this that are new. Can you confirm they update?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bill,
I know you've had your JScan for a while. I would expect they update the software regularly for security and to fix issues like this that are new. Can you confirm they update?
I checked the app settings on my phone - my assumption is that it updates via the Google Play Store as it says "Last Updated Dec 18, 2021"

When I look at details of updates, it shows a list of updates - down the list a little ways is this one:

-TPMS Sensor Id programming update for JL/JT (2021+)

Since I bought and licensed JSCAN in 2020 there's a fair list of changes and that one confirms it's been updated since I installed and licensed it.

So in short, if you have it on your phone or tablet and do app updates, jscan will be updated.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
They must have had enough complaints from people driving away without the FOB in the vehicle that they implemented a warning system to try and prevent it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yup, I was about to post - I got a message from the dealer saying that's a new feature on '22s and cant' be disabled.
Here is the said quote - so to my mind, the solution is to leave the door open. This also explains why it didn't chirp at me sometimes - I definitely closed the door when I encountered it the first time and I am most likely didn't close the door when I was getting mail, so it didn't chirp which confused me.

1642692004240.png
So, my 2021 does the flashes, and you get the notice on the dash. You even get a system beep (inside the vehicle, not the horn). But the horn doesn't honk. I guess that wasn't enough! My last car did the beep, and I hated it. I can get out of the gladiator and even lock the doors with the fob or the proximity.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Contact z automotive, and maybe they'll implement a fix in the Tazer.