Sponsored

2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Let me say this AGAIN. No a Rubicon is NOT rated to tow/haul 7,000 pounds. You can NOT just go by the chart, you HAVE to add in the disclaimers and then go back through the whole section and do ALL the math. Major disclaimer is 150 pound driver, completely stock vehicle, NO OTHER ADDED WEIGHT IN VEHICLE.

If you ignore the disclaimers and all the math, and if you have mechanical issues OR are involved in accident and found out to be overloaded, JEEP has ZERO liability and you may find yourself on the hook for any damages caused in either scenario.

So, you have to work it like a math formula. Weight of driver and passengers, weight of the JT, weight of all gear in the cab and in the bed, 10%-15% of trailer weight on tongue. Then you get to subtract that from the GVWR. If you're overweight, then you have to lighten the trailer weight to get the tongue weight down to where you are good.
Everyone should tow responsibly. Know your capacities and limits. Do you have a rubicon? Stop yelling at people. Itā€™s simply annoying. Every rig is different. Every trailer and load is different. And many modified rigs actually DO maintain towing capacities, if the build design is correctly geared towards that goal. The fact that rubicons DO have a 7k towing capacity, doesnā€™t mean people that know that are suggesting a 7k trailer. Stop lecturing and tow like youā€™d like. The rest of us will tow like weā€™d like. Jeep never had any liability with towing. NEVER. whether youā€™re within reasonable limits, or not.
Sponsored

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Did you buy that trailer yet? I'm in a similar family situation and am looking at this model.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Jayco-Jay-Flight-SLX-7-184BS-5017120444
I like the looks and lay out of that one. Should tow no problem with a weight distribution hitch.

19 gallon grey water tank is going to need dumping frequently with 4 people if taking showers. Pretty standard for that size trailer though. I would get one of those grey water rolling tanks.

Also not a fan of not having a sink in the bathroom and lack of clothing storage.

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yup
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? kSOu45

Our first trip is Memorial Day weekend!

The truck and trailer is completely empty, so I'm still not sure if I will need to lower the height of the hitch ball.
My recommendation is to get an adjustable like from B & M. Depending on truck load and trailer tongue weight, I may go up or down an inch. Itā€™s also helpful if you try to detach/attach when on uneven ground. I deploy the jockey wheel or pad jack, pull the adjustable hitch pins, and lower the coupler still on the ball to allow the trailer to be detached or attached. Then raise it on the ball until youā€™re where you want to be for towing.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Looks like cgm has a WDH hitch already, the one with the bars on top looks great.
I just took our camper out last weekend for our shakedown trip, went well. I set my Blue Ox hitch up with full fresh water tank in trailer and empty Jeep and trailer, everything level, when loaded up to go ,everything was still level just a little bit lower evenly.
We had a great timeā€¦.Jack

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
If you run the trailer weight up to 6,500, your hitch weight at 12% will be 780 lbs, which comes RIGHT out of payload. I would say no go, but that's your call.

We've a trailer with a 7,000 lb gross, but never go over 6,000 and actually when we go to Lassen we will take out some cargo (pellet smoker, etc) and re-weigh / re-balance. The 720 lb hitch weight tows fine, but is 20 lbs over the rating on the hitch (didn't know until last month). Our in-Jeep "cargo" is just the two of us, because the payload is 1283 lbs for our JTR and why push it?

Implied in the bunkhouse is four passengers, and that's a long trailer - ours is 24' in the shell but 27' overall. You're not going to make weight on combination like that.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's a great weight but we looked long and hard for a double axle travel trailer. The additional stability is very welcome. Towing various cargo trailers, the difference was obvious and made it a must. I towed a little Jeep trailer for ages and never knew what a big deal it would be.

The inventories we've seen lately have been back to normal, there should be something out there in that weight range with two axles.

Did you buy that trailer yet? I'm in a similar family situation and am looking at this model.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Jayco-Jay-Flight-SLX-7-184BS-5017120444

Sponsored

Lumberjack_MC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's a great weight but we looked long and hard for a double axle travel trailer. The additional stability is very welcome. Towing various cargo trailers, the difference was obvious and made it a must. I towed a little Jeep trailer for ages and never knew what a big deal it would be.

The inventories we've seen lately have been back to normal, there should be something out there in that weight range with two axles.
I haven't yet. Unfortunately my gladiator is still on order! The time frame I'm looking at for getting a trailer is hopefully within the next year. If you get one, post a picture! I've gone and looked at them in person and I like them. I'm very tall and this one has a full length queen bed in the front.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We're looking for an off-road trailer now, is how we know inventory is up.

We like the big trailer but the off-pavement camping is tough. Crowds in campgrounds is no Bueno. Harvest Host is a help, but BLM and NF are even further from crowds. Squeezing into a big ares like Lassen NF is no big deal, but I want to take my wife up the Mojave Road, you know?

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? JeepHazel

I haven't yet. Unfortunately my gladiator is still on order! The time frame I'm looking at for getting a trailer is hopefully within the next year. If you get one, post a picture! I've gone and looked at them in person and I like them. I'm very tall and this one has a full length queen bed in the front.

Last edited:

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
We're looking for an off-road trailer now, is how we know inventory is up.

We like the big trailer but the off-pavement camping is tough. Crowds in campgrounds is no Bueno. Harvest Host is a help, but BLM and NF are even further from crowds. Squeezing into a big ares like Lassen NF is no big deal, but I want to take my wife up the Mojave Road, you know?

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? JeepHazel
Might I suggest a Base camp we love ours and its right in the sweet spot for the JT...3500 dry, 4300 loaded...

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? tempImageV3iu0y

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
Might I suggest a Base camp we love ours and its right in the sweet spot for the JT...3500 dry, 4300 loaded...

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? tempImageV3iu0y
I like these, I just wish they had a second dedicated bed option for our daughter. Anything with "bunk house" immediately shifts into the giant brick.

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
I like these, I just wish they had a second dedicated bed option for our daughter. Anything with "bunk house" immediately shifts into the giant brick.
Theres front and rear sleeping areas, sleep 4 comfortably
Sponsored