2022 Rumors?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My guess is the move to being more carlike in late YJ and TJ and the more recent (JK ) move to power /heated mirrors. Used to drive a 1989 YJ with the mirrors attached to the windshield so never worried about getting mirrors when the doors came off.
I guess, but honestly I never understood power mirrors, I just set them and never touch that control again.
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I wouldn't expect a discount on a build. A truck sitting on a lot should be cheaper though. Of course if you have a specific list of features you want/don't want, it can be tough to find. I may be wrong but at least in my case, I signed a price agreement when ordering and I wouldn't expect it to be discounted if the new models were rolling in.
My experience has typically been the opposite. On a build, the dealer can discount as they have no skin in the game and are just getting a small fee for "hosting" the transaction, and maybe hoping it bumps their numbers enough to get a larger kickback from the manufacturer for the month. In contrast, vehicles that are sitting on a dealer lot have other expenses (lot rent, marketing costs, etc.) tied up in them, and the dealers are often less motivated to drop price. I've had more than one dealer tell me they'd rather sell me a build than drop the price on a similar one on the lot. Just my experience...definitely a YMMV.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Interesting perspective. My dealer seemed to allude that a car on the lot would be cheaper because they're motivated to move it because every day it sits it costs them. Of course, I probably shouldn't be listening to a dealer.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Interesting perspective. My dealer seemed to allude that a car on the lot would be cheaper because they're motivated to move it because every day it sits it costs them. Of course, I probably shouldn't be listening to a dealer.
This has always been my experience also. Dealers here try really hard to push inventory off their lots and have been reluctant to do special orders. Every month that the inventory sits on the lot costs them money. And, if they have inventory sitting on the lot it hurts their allocation numbers for new inventory in the future. They want to sell what they've got primarily.

The only time I have been successful getting a dealer to easily order a new vehicle for me was when I got my Gladiator, and that was simply because in May of 2019 there were almost NO Gladiators on dealer lots, so ordering one didn't hinder the dealer at all.

Sponsored

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
I wonder if we'll to see the 2.0T added to the line up. Yes, you lose 15hp but gain 35 lb-ft of torque. And gain a couple MPG.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Haha. The would rather sell you one today over one from 8 weeks from now

Szy_szka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
I also want to believe this is the case.. hence I am eyeing this one dealer with 15 (!) 2020 Gladiators still in stock, including 2 that exactly match my list of preferred options. After the expiration of the February incentives (that included 2020) the price on those actually jumped up and has not moved down (but they also have not sold a single one). Wondering whether there is going to be something special from the dealer (in terms of discounts) towards the end of the month or whether Jeep will sweeten the deal in April again.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think Jeep deals will get better as we get closer to the Bronco roll out in June.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wonder if we'll to see the 2.0T added to the line up. Yes, you lose 15hp but gain 35 lb-ft of torque. And gain a couple MPG.
Nope. The reason engineers told us that the 2.0 wasn't offered in the first place still exists: can't make it meet parameters for the towing numbers they want without it overheating.

That's why I also think the 392 Hemi will remain a JL only option and we won't see it in JT (but I hope I'm wrong).

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Nope. The reason engineers told us that the 2.0 wasn't offered in the first place still exists: can't make it meet parameters for the towing numbers they want without it overheating.

That's why I also think the 392 Hemi will remain a JL only option and we won't see it in JT (but I hope I'm wrong).
Got ya, never knew there was a Towing issue.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Is there a ~known cost differential on the 6.4 v the 5.7? As in, could the 5.7 eventually show up as an added-cost option using some of the JL392 parts but with a middle of the road premium price? Or is the thinking that over-engineering a hemi enough to make it meet JL/JT expectations (fording depth, heat, etc) means that it really only makes economic sense to offer it as a really expensive 6.4-only kind of package? I'm sure there's not a great answer, just curious what everyone thinks.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
not only would i need a v8 to switch, i'd need it with a manual transmission, a combination highly unlikely to be offered :(

pretty stoked every day driving my piped pentastar manual with 4.88's and 37's, like a redneck sports car, smiles per mile level max

oh, a cummins partnership like dodge did back in 89 with the ram 3/4 & 1 ton trucks with the 5.9 2-valve....but do it with the jeep gladiator with the r2.8 please, forget the eco-diesel crap, drop the r2.8 in there with the manual transmission please, that would get me excited to part with my build

as it is i think i'll just squirrel away money for the r2.8 repower swap and get it when the pentastar craps out in 15 years or so

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
as it is i think i'll just squirrel away money for the r2.8 repower swap and get it when the pentastar craps out in 15 years or so
I thought the R2.8 was a dud? It was supposed to be game-changing but isn't.

When Cummins announced the R2.8 crate engine program at SEMA in 2016. These sounded like the ultimate setup. Among the many features promised, we were told that these brand new crate engines would carry an emissions compliance certificate, and legendary Cummins reliability. We were excited! The Cummins reps that we spoke to at the SEMA show were also touting a $5000-6000 purchase price which was really unbelievable. So, we quietly began researching anything we could find on the platform. We purchased a complete 2.8 ISF from overseas, flew overseas to speak with people with real-world experience with these engines, explored reliability numbers, and even completed a prototype conversion. Our findings were NOT good…

The R2.8 is entirely built and assembled in China. Starting in 2009, the 2.8 ISF engines were licensed and installed into Chinese Foton Tunland pickups. The 2.8 ISF has an absolutely TERRIBLE reputation overseas. Premature connecting rod failures, bad injectors, turbocharger failures, the list goes on and on. In fact, everyone we spoke with about the 2.8 had nothing but bad things to say about them. Next, we went at this from a parts perspective. We wanted to know once the Cummins warranty runs out, how difficult are parts to get for these things? Impossible in fact. We found that the ONLY vendors selling parts are Chinese vendors on Alibaba.com and they all wanted wire transfer payments and none of them spoke English. Since these engines are not sold here, nobody stocks parts. We asked Cummins directly if they would sell us parts and they don’t even find most of the parts for these engines in their system. So, on parts that was also a FAIL.

In late 2017, Cummins finally released the R2.8 Crate Engine Program. Sadly, Cummins had almost doubled their initial price estimate than what we were told at the SEMA show, the engines carry no emissions compliance certificates for vehicles newer than 1999, and incredibly only carries a 90 DAY WARRANTY! We were floored…With a purchase price just shy of $10,000 and a warranty that will run out before you get it installed, what is their target market? The R2.8 Crate Engine Program includes no provisions for transmission, no controllers for anything, no cooling system, nothing. For $10k all you’re getting is an engine with a piggy-back wire harness and accelerator pedal. That’s literally it. This means that putting that engine into ANYTHING other than a 20 year-old Jeep will require a ton of development, a standalone transmission controller, air conditioning system provisions, cooling system, air cleaner, intercooler system, mounting system, adapters for the transmission, the list goes on and on. Most modern (2005+) vehicles have computers for pretty much everything. Getting cruise control, air conditioning, ABS systems to all work with the R2.8 will require custom computer boxes with custom-code written in them. This means ULTRA EXPENSIVE…

Sadly, in our opinion the Cummins R2.8 Crate Engine Program is DOA. They are crazy expensive, will be an extraordinarily difficult installation as everything will need to be hand-built, and only carry a 90-day warranty. We have been in the diesel conversion business for almost 17 years so our experience is unmatched in the industry. From a professional conversion company’s perspective, the Cummins R2.8 conversions will LOOK like conversions and will not have the stock fit & finish we’re known for. Franken-swaps are not in our DNA and we don’t feel that is something paying customers want. We asked ourselves, “who on earth wants to pay to install a Chinese R2.8 engine into their Toyota when they can get a factory Toyota D-4D engine with legendary reliability and power for less money”? Our approach has always been minimalist as nothing can compare to the factory designed stuff and the more one deviates from this the more the conversion starts looking like a franken-swap and the reliability of the finished product goes way down.
I think a better pick in 15 years would be a 'bulletproofed' ecodiesel, whatever that means at that time.
Sponsored