First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So you can disconnect the sway bar on and independent front suspension. They say it gains 10% travel. What is that less than an inch. :CWL: Sounds completely useless to me.
Having driven an IFS with a swaybar disconnect, it's still a wonderful thing. Personally I put Apex autoLYNX in my Mojave not for articulation, but off-road comfort and it works wonders. I'd want a disconnected swaybar on any vehicle i planned any sort of offroading with, regardless of the suspension setup. Comfort is king.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have a feeling this thing will sell really well
I very much love the new tacoma and all the decisions toyota is making. Not enough to replace my jeep, but certainly enough to hope jeep takes some of toyota's cues and incorporates them.

i love they kept the manual. i love the supercab 2 seater with a 6 foot bed that's clearly built as a pure small work truck. i love the trailhunter is available with a 6 foot bed, cause overlanding needs space for gear. i love the idea of the dampening seats, though it's something that would need first hand experience with before making a real decision on.

BUT, the top and doors don't come off, and the TRD Pro and Trailhunter are not available manual. So those are two big red flags that make this cool looking truck a no-buy for me.

MKAYMEOW

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Wow guys look at 10:01 in the video, the rear bumper is literally shaking up and down lmfao hopefully this is a prototype.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
only 4 cylinder options

1700 payload

6500 towing

and a dang tablet as a radio

No thanks
That 4 cylinder stats are better than my 22JTRD. But the Gladiator is still way cooler.

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
So you can disconnect the sway bar on and independent front suspension. They say it gains 10% travel. What is that less than an inch. :CWL: Sounds completely useless to me.
On my 2nd-gen Tacoma, removing the swaybar alone might only get you an inch of extra travel (then immediately break the upper control arm ball joint, which is only sized for the range allowed by the swaybar). With swaybar removed plus an aftermarket UCA with more misalignment, it goes from 8” travel to 12”. Toyota people call this a “mid-travel setup.” (Long-travel is this plus long arms, moving the wheels out sideways to gain travel at the cost of track width)

I have little doubt the aftermarket will instantly be all over the 4th gen and find more travel. I expect this forum will be grousing about the focus on Tacomas instead of Broncos during next year’s SEMA

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think it looks good, not my style but will sell well, I also agree on the screen
Looks like an afterthought.
I'd like to ask those who are dissing the screen - how would you integrate a huge screen into the dash to make it look "built-in"?
Think of the bulk you'd have to add - frankly, I like the appearance better than how Jeep as done for the 2024 Wrangler. That screen looks like they had to find a lot of clay to model how to try to make it look integrated. They failed, IMO.
The Toyota version is clean. Nothing wasted, a sleek, slender, trim dash. Ya want a big screen you have two choices:
Toyota's way
Jeep's way
With Jeep they had to make a lot of new molds for plastic trim that does pretty much nothing except attempt to integrate a big screen that just plain does'tn fit or look decent in the dash. They made it wider, but couldn't really make it taller. Lack of height still makes Jeep's version less than great.

Give me the Toyota version of big screen - useful, doesn't take away from the rest of the dash.

Last edited:

Tatanka

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
M.E.
I really like the interior and overall drivetrain of the truck. But that front end looks a bit too Rav-4ish to me. I prefer the current gen Tacoma's exterior, but I'm sure it'll grow on me. One thing I think (and hope) will fade fast is the black fender flares. I just prefer body-color fenders I guess. Overall a good package, but nothing that will take me out of my Gladiator.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I'd like to ask those who are dissing the screen - how would you integrate a huge screen into the dash to make it look "built-in"?
Think of the bulk you'd have to add - frankly, I like the appearance better than how Jeep as done for the 2024 Wrangler. That screen looks like they had to find a lot of clay to model how to try to make it look integrated. They failed, IMO.
The Toyota version is clean. Nothing wasted, a sleek, slender, trim dash. Ya want a big screen you have two choices:
Toyota's way
Jeep's way
With Jeep they had to make a lot of new molds for plastic trim that does pretty much nothing except attempt to integrate a big screen that just plain does fit or look decent in the dash. They made it wider, but couldn't really make it taller. Lack of height still makes Jeep's version less than great.

Give me the Toyota version of big screen - useful, doesn't take away from the rest of the dash.
Agreed. They did their best with the huge screen location to also having buttons climate control.

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Toyota had to hit a home run. The new Colorado and Ranger brought their game. What's amazing to me is that Toyota dealers have been selling the sh$t out of the current Tacoma dinosaur; I can only imagine how fast these puppies will fly off the showroom floor.
How Toyota manages to sell out at every dealership with 10 year old tech inside 10 year old vehicles (4runner, Tacoma) with the only change being the digits that compose the "Model Year" on the window sticker will forever be a mystery to me.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Let's call a spade a spade.

This thing blows the gladiator away. The pentastar might as well be a carbureted flat 6 from the 50s at this point. The ranger raptor, zr2, and this are far and away the leaders of the pack. The Jeeps' diesel is dead, and the 2024 crop of midsize trucks are going to set the bar quite high.

Which, is a good thing for Jeep. It has to at least match these specs and options to compete. Not a soul alive could drive these new vehicles and think "man, I wish this had the pentastar". Toyota, to their credit, have brought some new and interesting innovations to the field.

I want these:
Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma - Here’s The New Competition! 🥊 Hybrid Model Added 🔋 1684508498949

Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma - Here’s The New Competition! 🥊 Hybrid Model Added 🔋 1684508013698

Such is the pace of technology. Let's see how Jeep responds.

Last edited:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
How Toyota manages to sell out at every dealership with 10 year old tech inside 10 year old vehicles (4runner, Tacoma) with the only change being the digits that compose the "Model Year" on the window sticker will forever be a mystery to me.
Simple. It's the reliability that many believes. My wife 2014 IS350 F Sport bought in late 2013 have had no issues and no warranty work done. Other than typicle oil changes, just front rotors and pads replaced.

Edit: Still on the original battery too. Freaking impressive.

MKAYMEOW

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Let's call a spade a spade.

This thing blows the gladiator away. The pentastar might as well be a carbureted flat 6 from the 50s at this point. The ranger raptor, zr2, and this are far and away the leaders of the pack. The Jeeps' diesel is dead, and the 2024 crop of midsize trucks are going to set the bar quite high.

Which, is a good thing for Jeep. It has to at least match these specs and options to compete. Not a soul alive could drive these new vehicles and think "man, I wish this had the pentastar". Toyota, to their credit, have brought some new and interesting innovations to the field.

I want these:
Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma - Here’s The New Competition! 🥊 Hybrid Model Added 🔋 Tacoma_Billet_Tie_Downs_Kit-Blue__92485.1678413016

Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma - Here’s The New Competition! 🥊 Hybrid Model Added 🔋 Tacoma_Billet_Tie_Downs_Kit-Blue__92485.1678413016

Such is the pace of technology. Let's see how Jeep responds.
Will not have anywhere near as much articulation of the Gladiator with a front solid axle. Maybe I am getting old, but prefer natural aspirated engine and Jeep is going to a Inline 6 Turbo that will be replacing the current 3.6. I will say the Taco looks sick, but still can't take the doors or top off of that as well. I will be keeping my Launch Edition for a while unless the Gladiator redesign/mid refresh looks good.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Well I agree to disagree I think the Toyota screen looks like it’s a glued on tablet I think the Jeep screen looks way better. I also think the tires look very small in the wheel wells and the grill still reminds of a starwars storm trooper helmet. I do think this will be a lot more competition for ford. And chevy but no more than normal for gladiators. There are some very nice touches too I do like the seats but not that red is raising the seat height 1.5 inches enough to fix the abysmal seating of the older models.? And yet they still have the wimpy ifs and looks like all the models are turbo I am not convinced of the longevity of turbos
Sponsored