First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
I am planning on putting a 2 in mopar lift and 37s on my gladiator. I’m also considering a cold air intake upgrade to regain some of the lost HP and torque with my 37s. Anyone with any experience with this? Could you tell a noticeable difference with the upgrade?
Sponsored

JeepGuyTexas

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Firecracker Red Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Recruiting Manager
I am planning on putting a 2 in mopar lift and 37s on my gladiator. I’m also considering a cold air intake upgrade to regain some of the lost HP and torque with my 37s. Anyone with any experience with this? Could you tell a noticeable difference with the upgrade?
I'm interested in this too, I've done some research and it seems like the only option is to lose some of the rubicon sticker lettering if done. Anyone have any input on this?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have yet to find any cold air intake that improves the performance of a modern engine....

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
"Cold" Air Intake = replacing the factory box with a box that will draw in warmer air, allow water to more easily hydrolock the engine, rob torque on the low end of the RPM band, and increase fuel consumption (more air in equals more fuel in on a modern fuel injected engine).

Pergrem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Yamaha/BRP Tech
Aftermarket intake pipe running from the stock air box to the throttle body would be the only thing I would do as those are pretty proven from what I’ve seen. CAI kits and high flow filters are not really worth it.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Jeep had the original CAI and it WORKED. I know it worked because I built my own from the Jeep model and it was a noticeable improvement in both feel and mpg.

Want to see the real deal?

The problem with most CAI systems is that they are looks only. Most are made from polished Alum, which transfers the engine bay heat like crazy to the air flow. Then the intake is inside the engine bay so its so hot that can cause premature Detonation. When I added a Supercharger to my engine the performance was GREAT, then I moved out to the Sonoran Desert with temps in the 120's. I knew 2 things I had to reduce engine bay temps and get colder air into the engine.

I put vents on my hood that solved that problem. But did not solve the sucking of the hot air into the engine. I experimented with various systems and approaches some helped, most did nothing but make it worse, so bad I could accelerate onto the freeway with out Pre-Det.

Then a friend of mine bought a barn find which was an old CJ and as he was retired he wanted to restore it back to original. He called me up to help him get the engine started and it was there I saw an original CJ intake system CAI

The pic below shows an OEM CAI that hose runs directly to the back of the headlight bucket and pulls air directly from the front end.

I adapted that concept to my Jeep, took off the chrome trim ring, used a plastic wastebasket to fab up the connection to the headlight bucket, dumped the good looking polished alum and fabbed up from 2 OEM black plastic intakes the connection, increase in felt power, no pre-det and increase in mpg by about 1.5 mpg.

Whether or not that can be done on a JT or JL, not sure the engine bay is so full now, not sure you can make a connection.

I can post a pic of my fabbed one if anyone is interested but it's in the bay of my TJ not JT...

CJ intake.jpeg

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Would use of a snorkel have any benefit in providing cooler air intake?
Sponsored