Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I can tell you if they screwed it up....Old Testament rage. It clearly has the right part number in the work order. I doubt they did. But 2020. All bets are off.

Shouldn't have to crawl under...just peal back the inner fender liner just a bit on the driver's side and you should see the label...once you spot roughly where it is, you can just put your phone in there and take a pic...
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Did my normal route this morning and it's really nice to have a straight steering wheel. The pull due to crown in the road is a fraction of what it was. It is almost not noticeable. Very firm and responsive.

I can tell you if they screwed it up....Old Testament rage. It clearly has the right part number in the work order. I doubt they did. But 2020. All bets are off.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Did my normal route this morning and it's really nice to have a straight steering wheel. The pull due to crown in the road is a fraction of what it was. It is almost not noticeable. Very firm and responsive.
Man, that is the BEST! Good for you!

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Yes, sir. Not buying the "jeep thing" excuse. This thing drives great now.

I was driving around with a 15-20 degree turn in my steering wheel to adjust for the crown in the road and 1 inch of play with no response from steering. Now I am responsive and at most a tiny bit of correction for the crown in the road.

Man, that is the BEST! Good for you!

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Dropped mine off in the morning. Got a call way to close to their closing time that my JT is ready. Excited to get it back, but I am going to miss the power of the hemi they gave me as a rental.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone who's had it done asked for the Aluminum Steering box back. I'd like to have mine back if I was to decide to do it. I know at regular shops I always asked for the parts coming off and they give them to me if I want them, never had any work done at the dealership like this. I'm just curious.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Has anyone who's had it done asked for the Aluminum Steering box back. I'd like to have mine back if I was to decide to do it. I know at regular shops I always asked for the parts coming off and they give them to me if I want them, never had any work done at the dealership like this. I'm just curious.
You get the old parts back when you pay for the new parts. The new steering box is a warranty repair. My guess is the dealer will not give you the old steering box.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You get the old parts back when you pay for the new parts. The new steering box is a warranty repair. My guess is the dealer will not give you the old steering box.
Curious has anyone asked or had the dealer give them any parts back before. I've never had to ask at the dealership but it seems like you would be entitled to having the old box back, even if it's a warranty repair. They aren't doing anything with them. I'm not considering replacing mine yet because of how much better mines driving and handling compared to the two 2021's I drove in October.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Curious has anyone asked or had the dealer give them any parts back before. I've never had to ask at the dealership but it seems like you would be entitled to having the old box back, even if it's a warranty repair. They aren't doing anything with them. I'm not considering replacing mine yet because of how much better mines driving and handling compared to the two 2021's I drove in October.
As mentioned before, you did not pay for the replacement and were made whole so you are not entitled to the part back.

Even thought the part remove was superseded with a different design, dealerships are still audited by FCA corporate for their warranty repairs and many keep their removed parts on hand for a certain time to prove they were replaced if audited. Also, FCA engineering has a right to request removed parts back for analysis.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Got mine back today. Steering is so much better on it. Feels firm and has a normal amount of play now. Also the JT really needs a Hemi option....

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I got the same response after mine was cancelled. My dealer did help me by putting me in touch with FCA, who in turn connected me with Jeep Cares. They have put in a expedite order to send the part to my dealer. I have a case# and I'll update to this thread once I hear about timing to get it in there.
Update- Jeep Cares called me on Friday to let me know that my part had come in at the dealer. They then set up the appointment for Monday (yesterday) with my dealer. I took it in yesterday morning and picked it up at the end of the day. WOW! Enormous difference in the steering feel.

I purchased my Sport S in April, and have about 14k on it because I have a bit of a drive to and from work, and it's my daily driver. I never felt that it was "unsafe", I just knew, that for a 2020 vehicle, it sure seemed to be a little loose, and seemed to wander off like my dog when a scent hits her.

So while there was the hurdle of having my part order cancelled, and a couple of additional phone calls and emails to Jeep Cares I had to make to get things moving again, I would do it again in a minute! Brenda @ Jeep Cares did her job admirably in following up, and doing what she said she would do. I will say this to all those wondering if it's worth the leg work; Hell yes. Stay cool everyone!

OIIIIIIIO ✌

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Seems a bit like your trolling here.

Trying to stir people up so to speak.

Attempting to correlate dissatisfaction with how FCA has handled the fix of defective vehicles that people spend hard earned money on with a person's propensity to help others feels like a bit of a stretch.

How many volunteer or make contributions? Huh?

I'm no statistician but ya know my educated guess tells me that the two things have nothing to do with one another.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
You guys are writing inside of the quotes, FYI, so it makes it harder to find your responses.

My brother got his done on his 2020 JTR. His was good before the new box but he says it is most definitely improved with the new one. That pretty much echoes my experience with the JL.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Helping others has everything to do with everything
Just my view and respect yours-
Does it bother me that we ( including
myself) spend so much on self gratification and fail to consider the
less fortunate -
I couldn't agree more and we can all use a reminder from time to time. But if it comes across as a lecture or judgement, then it probably doesn't help so much. Just my 2 cents.

Back to topic.

In my case, they handled it perfectly. In my brother's, FCA just took forever. Intervention by the dealership sped up the part delivery and they got it right on there. In the big scheme of things, not a big deal, so mission accomplished and we're grateful for the free upgrade, as in both cases, the original steering was not bad at all.

I'll also mention that in both cases, the dealership (same one) did a very nice job and did not make any mess with fluid, or at least they cleaned up what mess there might have been. That dealer is York in Plainfield, IN. They certainly deserve a shout out.
Sponsored