Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Update and a quick shout out to RSE…

I’ve had them for a year and they are still functioning perfectly and still look new. These slider/steps ended up being one of my favorite mods and one that I use on a daily basis.

I’ve only had one small issue about how to adjust the step and RSE helped me out almost immediately. I also wore down the non-slip tape on the step from going in and out of the truck so much so I bought some on Amazon, I couldn’t get any that matched so I reached out to RSE directly. I asked if I could buy a set from them. They immediately responded and sent me a pair next day, free of charge. THAT is amazing customer service, can’t say enough good things about the steps or the company.

If you’re ever looking into these or the AMP just bite the bullet and get these, they are a little more expensive but quality is 10x better than AMP and the customer service is great, every time I’ve had a question, I get a response within a couple of hours via email. Never tried calling because it was never that urgent.

Great product great company.
I second your comments here... 9 months later, function perfectly. Have you greased the pivot points yet on the steps? I think some spray lube should do it.
Sponsored

taliv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1250 GS Adventure, Land Rover Discovery
do they live up to their name though? have you or anyone slid across rocks iwth them? just scratches? any damage to the step?

also, does the shape of the slider sticking out act somewhat like a mud flap and keep the doors from getting covered in mud?

OP
OP
calipoontappa

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I second your comments here... 9 months later, function perfectly. Have you greased the pivot points yet on the steps? I think some spray lube should do it.
Haven’t greased them at all. Still work fine but I’ll probably be doing that now that you brought it up.

OP
OP
calipoontappa

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
do they live up to their name though? have you or anyone slid across rocks iwth them? just scratches? any damage to the step?

also, does the shape of the slider sticking out act somewhat like a mud flap and keep the doors from getting covered in mud?
i won’t ever be crawling this truck to find out, I’ve spent close to 80k total so this is purely for light camping/trails and getting to work.

You need to buy the additional armor if you plan to slide them but I haveseen a few videos of them being used as intended on huge rocks coming off with scrapes but the step still working.

Yeah the width helps a ton with protecting the doors from mud and rocks. I have 15” wide tires and I never have anything on the doors.

MickRose72

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator "Mojive"
Occupation
Retired
Awesome report. I am considering the RSE. I plan to run a set of tube doors. Can you tell me if the magnet on the actual door is the non-powered magnet? So I could just order an additional set of door magnets for my tube doors and have working steps with the tube doors as well.

Sponsored

905_gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Awesome report. I am considering the RSE. I plan to run a set of tube doors. Can you tell me if the magnet on the actual door is the non-powered magnet? So I could just order an additional set of door magnets for my tube doors and have working steps with the tube doors as well.
i believe you can order a set of magnets for your tube door i was thinking of doing this also. The magnet on the actual door is just a magnet not hooked up to anything

instructions for the steps

https://rockslideengineering.com/installation-instructions/

Screenshot 2022-01-12 163616.jpg

OP
OP
calipoontappa

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yeah, the door side are just regular magnets. I put some on my tube doors and they work great.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest to their strength, currently without the additional armor. I hit one of them in Moab on Saturday, and could barely find the spot it hit. Minor scratches. Zero actual damage. They worked as rock sliders, as advertised and designed. Gen 3 btw.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I like the look of the RSE but I am going into year 3 and have a fair bit of rust on the inner structure. I treated and recoated one, but it still has some. Will see how it goes. They are capable rocksliders.

MickRose72

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator "Mojive"
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Hasted

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
ASL Interpreter/ Teacher
So I couldn’t decide on which automated steps I would get so I decided to buy both try them both on and return one. They both look pretty good it really just depends on what you’re looking for, I would love for someone to design a slim automated step/rock rail that actually provides protection neither of these do that so it’s basically form or function...

Again I really like the lines of the JT, I wish someone made a step that followed the lines like the original rock rails and were slim or closer to the body.

The AMP XLs look much better in my opinion BUT not by much. They don’t follow the lines of the JT at all they are fully straight front to back, it looks like they are floating because of a 1” gap especially towards the front. The way they are designed is made for purely use as a step, the motors and hinges are behind/under the pinch seam and that is the only place they bolt on to.. You can definitely see the entire seam with these steps you can actually see through to the ground at every point, no protection at all. They weigh nothing, the step is aluminum and the “rock rail” is very thing sheet metal. One side can’t weigh more than 25-30lbs that’s including the hardware, brackets and motors. The AMP XLs feels cheap it is definitely not worth almost 1900.00, these should honestly be priced around 1k period.

The RSE steps stick out too far for my taste, they are way out there, they kind of look like a mix of the outlander steps and an old boat. It looks dated. The RSE look ok but like I said they look dated like old side steps on a Chevy hard to describe until you see them in person. They stick out pretty far and the OCD in me hates that they don’t line up with the fenders, the front lines up better than the rear, the rear stick out past the fenders by 1/2 inch it’s not much but it’s def there I’ve noticed that on other JTs with RSEs

Aside from the aesthetics the quality is where it’s at, the RSEs feel like they can take a bullet no issue, they are extremely well built and heavy AF. HEAVY AF and trying to line the holes up while not scratching the new JT was difficult. I would recommend a second pair of hands. I can’t say enough about the quality of these things. I wish they looked better and that they we’re not so wide. I get it, it provides more protection but damn they look like they would let the JT float down the lake.

I think both steps are over priced, the AMP XLs should not be more than 1k and the RSEs should be around 2k but only if they included the added rock protection AND led lights...70 extra for LEDs!?!?

Anyway here are a TON of pics and a video. I had a super hard time finding enough pics to be able to make up my mind and only a few install videos that I could find but nothing that focused purely on the looks.

Hopefully this helps someone make their decision a little easier.

Jeep Gladiator AMP XL vs Rockslide Engineering Screenshot 2022-01-12 163616

I know this thread is a bit older, but it was one of my main sources of research on deciding which steps to get. I went through a couple pages and did not see any mention of the Gen3 update to RSE.

The biggest one is the ever so slight change to the shape of the sliders.

20220714_110915.jpg

As far as I can tell, Gen1/2 was straight and stuck out a bit. OP mentioned this and wished they did not. I also agreed, but didn't realize the change until it was on.

Towards the back, the slider starts to angle in nicely. In my opinion, looks great. Also does not hang over in front. I do have a Mojave with the high flares, so not sure if that carries over perfectly for Sports.

Also, electrical is way different. I was watching the Extreme Terrain installation video and got really confused. Just watch the RSE G3 Video.

20220714_110912.jpg

Also, apparently the step goes a little further back for backseat passengers.

With a hefty price increase comes great improvements.

Everything still bolts up flawlessly and insanely accurate.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I know this thread is a bit older, but it was one of my main sources of research on deciding which steps to get. I went through a couple pages and did not see any mention of the Gen3 update to RSE.

The biggest one is the ever so slight change to the shape of the sliders.

20220714_110915.jpg

As far as I can tell, Gen1/2 was straight and stuck out a bit. OP mentioned this and wished they did not. I also agreed, but didn't realize the change until it was on.

Towards the back, the slider starts to angle in nicely. In my opinion, looks great. Also does not hang over in front. I do have a Mojave with the high flares, so not sure if that carries over perfectly for Sports.

Also, electrical is way different. I was watching the Extreme Terrain installation video and got really confused. Just watch the RSE G3 Video.

20220714_110912.jpg

Also, apparently the step goes a little further back for backseat passengers.

With a hefty price increase comes great improvements.

Everything still bolts up flawlessly and insanely accurate.
Well said. The Gen3 versions are amazing.

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
Resurrecting this thread. I went with the Rock Slide steps after seeing them in operation on 2 JT's. One is a work truck and the other one is a hard core crawler. I also have a friend with the AMP steps on a Ram 2500. Hands down, the RSE steps win for looks (Gen 3), ease of installation (other than the damn body bolts), wiring integration and overall engineering. The other thing is that the RSE steps were in stock and the AMP steps have been on permanent back order (over a year that I know of). Lining up the magnets are a PITA but not needing to hack the factory wiring is a huge plus.

Light kit is over priced but I bought it anyways. I got mine from Quadratec with a 10% discount. They are not cheap but they are well worth the price.
Jeep Gladiator AMP XL vs Rockslide Engineering RSE Driver side
Jeep Gladiator AMP XL vs Rockslide Engineering RSE Passenger side

OP
OP
calipoontappa

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Resurrecting this thread. I went with the Rock Slide steps after seeing them in operation on 2 JT's. One is a work truck and the other one is a hard core crawler. I also have a friend with the AMP steps on a Ram 2500. Hands down, the RSE steps win for looks (Gen 3), ease of installation (other than the damn body bolts), wiring integration and overall engineering. The other thing is that the RSE steps were in stock and the AMP steps have been on permanent back order (over a year that I know of). Lining up the magnets are a PITA but not needing to hack the factory wiring is a huge plus.

Light kit is over priced but I bought it anyways. I got mine from Quadratec with a 10% discount. They are not cheap but they are well worth the price.
Looks great! I’m still on my gen 2 and they still look new almost 3 years later. Best mod on my JT

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah go with the good ones, I went Amp because I like the way they deploy better than the rse And yhe price. I wish now I'd gone the other way
Sponsored