Sponsored

Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing.

JLMOPARMAN

First Name
JAson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JLU Rubicon
I ordered a filter housing so I could take it apart and see what makes it different from the Gen2.

Right out of the box I see that the StarParts catalog picture is wrong. There are indeed 2 coolant nipples on the outside of the cooler, the parts catalog shows only one.
Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 1

Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 2

The back of the filter housing shows only oil flows through the housing to the block.
Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 3

Oil passages
Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 5

Removing the cooler from the housing shows the oil passages to the cooler. No coolant passages.
Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 6

Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 7

The back of the cooler showing the oil passages in and out.
Jeep Gladiator Anatomy of the oil cooler and filter housing. cooler 8

I'm now thinking about using a small radiator and re-routing the coolant through it before it goes into the cooler. The only question I have is how efficient is the cooler, will lower coolant temps even make a difference?

cooler 6.jpg
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Imho it would be more efficient to cool the oil directly using the two bungs.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
That small heat exchanger/"cooler" if you will, doesnt look very efficient. Cooling the oil directly through a known plate type exchanger will provide way more result, IMHO. Unless somehow the main radiator could be larger to help release the heat load...but direct cooling of oil usually works well. Take transmission coolers and power steering coolers, they a lot of times are stand alone larger units that work.

I wanted to add, you would basically make the plate and eliminate that small cooler, then have one of the large coolers with a fan or two as someone on here has done already. One thing in the back of my mind would be if you plumb up to those two ports, how much will that affect engine oil pressure. Not sure how a booster pump in line to the cooler would work, and what kind of pump would be stout enough to last. Im doing this mod, but worried about the engine and what effects there may be. JLMOPARMAN is way ahead on this, his info has been outstanding

Last edited:

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
In my experience the cooler is not efficient. I’ve towed in cold like 15deg f cold temps and even with my coolant at 190 my oil was into the 230 range. At highway speeds

Reactions: PJZ

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
In my experience the cooler is not efficient. I’ve towed in cold like 15deg f cold temps and even with my coolant at 190 my oil was into the 230 range. At highway speeds
230° is OK read at the highest temp so long as we can keep it within 10° + or - under most conditions? If the thermostat won't let oil temp go below 200° while coasting down a long hill, it's reasonable to accept 20-40° higher when read at the highest point? I would want mine to exceed 212° every time I drive to boil off the moisture into the PCV system.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
I agree 230 is just fine. However the gap between the oil and water temp tells me the transfer of heat is not enough in the heat exchanger, aka it needs more plates. Being that we can’t add them the next best thing is to cool the oil directly.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I agree 230 is just fine. However the gap between the oil and water temp tells me the transfer of heat is not enough in the heat exchanger, aka it needs more plates. Being that we can’t add them the next best thing is to cool the oil directly.
More plates would overheat the coolant even quicker? Right now the oil temp rises sooner than the coolant, but the end result is the same if the load is maintained......Overheating.

Back to more cooling capacity!

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
not saying you are doing a dumb or great thing because i have no idea. so whats the reason for this mod? im definitely interested to see what you come up with

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
not saying you are doing a dumb or great thing because i have no idea. so whats the reason for this mod? im definitely interested to see what you come up with
If you read through the diesel threads you will see the overheat and derate issues. Our goal is to solve those issues because jeep seems uninterested in doing so

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Can you confirm the direction of flow?
mom assuming the “in” is the lower orfice and out is the upper…..

I’m not seeing how the current concept of utilizing the two bungs will allow oil to flow through an external cooler and still allow for proper oil filtration.
You have the components in hand- I’m looking at photos…. Can you confirm that by tapping into the external bungs that an external cooler would be beneficial and not hinder the function of the oil filter?

thank you for posting all of this!!

09F97870-40D2-4CB8-B8F2-6EEF458825AC.jpeg

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I think making a block off plate with the 2 ports. An external amsoil dual filter setup and a cooler with fans. Done deal. Make the oil temps independent of coolant and double your filtration and way more cooling. Now if only it fit in a bumper or something well protected.

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Agree that the block off plate and external cooler is the way to go. Could probably get away with no filter or bypass only since you can keep the stock filter in place. Guessing you can make that plate at home if you can get a good chunk of aluminum to work with. Hopefully the first adopter can list all the parts needed.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Agree that the block off plate and external cooler is the way to go. Could probably get away with no filter or bypass only since you can keep the stock filter in place. Guessing you can make that plate at home if you can get a good chunk of aluminum to work with. Hopefully the first adopter can list all the parts needed.
The block off plate. If it was me making it. It would be 1/2" thick and I would have the one side milled flat to make a good seal on the o-rings.

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
Haha, won't be making that at home!
Sponsored