Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dang what a s### show for a stealership and that's probably the dealership that mine was a dealership swap from. I seen a sign at "my" local dealership stating no loaner cars available when I was getting a oil change.
The rain should not be a problem for your JT really. But I would expect a full detail cleaning of your vehicle after that as a minimal. My XJ's, MJ, LJ have been rained in many times and my XJ has been in swamp water up to the radio inside, it's not quite as good as Wrangler's and JT for water resistant. My JT has been rained in a few times already too, front drain plugs been tossed in glovebox shortly after I got it home.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Door electrics are all shieleded pretty well, rugs are designed to drain and dry. I would just insist they owe you a full interior/exterior detail when you choose.
Yes - just because it can, doesn't mean it SHOULD on a dealer lot of ALL PLACE! Like another said - not getting those windows up is just plain irresponsible. In this case it was water - but it could have been much worse - animal getting into it and crapping all over, ripping up seats - that's exactly what happens around these parts! Even the dealership lots in the metro area have raccoons, deer, crows, and other varmints that get inside and are very destructive. I could show photos of what happens when a raccoon gets into a car! The results are not pretty.

Ceg826

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
4” mopar lift running 37’s. All done by the dealer...
Sorry for your pain!
Thank you for validating the Mopar 4” lift. People on this forum claim my dealer lied to me about them installing a 4” on my rig

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Sorry for your pain!
Thank you for validating the Mopar 4” lift. People on this forum claim my dealer lied to me about them installing a 4” on my rig
Please show me a link to a mopar 4” lift kit.. google doesn’t find one for a JT only a JK so I’m super curious

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Sound like you have every right to be pissed. If you don't mind I would like to send them a email letting them know that the word is out that there service is crap.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Yes - just because it can, doesn't mean it SHOULD on a dealer lot of ALL PLACE! Like another said - not getting those windows up is just plain irresponsible. In this case it was water - but it could have been much worse - animal getting into it and crapping all over, ripping up seats - that's exactly what happens around these parts! Even the dealership lots in the metro area have raccoons, deer, crows, and other varmints that get inside and are very destructive. I could show photos of what happens when a raccoon gets into a car! The results are not pretty.
Wasn’t suggesting by a long shot that the service department’s negligence was ok, just that the OP shouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think a stern conversation with the general manager is in order with the threat of turning his dealership into FCA dealer relationship dept.
I would refuse to sign any work order and take possession again until the make it right. They need to clean & 100% dry the vehicle. I would not worry too much about the electrical.
Shitty situation all around. Don't ever go back there!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right - the electric is very water resistant above 30" from the ground (curb height as shipped)
I'd not sweat the electric at all - I would insist on a thorough cleaning. The fact remains that they left it open and very vulnerable - and outside with windows down.

The fact remains even if no true damage was done (and likely it wasn't) they left it like that and no reasonable person who is in charge of the care and custody of a customer vehicle would ever do that.

Don't worry about electrical issues. These can sit out in the rain and be fine. But that's up to the customer to do that, not a dealer!

They owe you an interior detailing, a huge apology and someone's head should roll or at least be let know they are on thin ice at the dealership for allowing this.
DO as others have said let FCA's people know and when you get that survey about how they did - give total 0's and explain.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Mold. The seats will be full of mold that can cause serious respiratory issues. The seats need to be replaced.
This is what I've been thinking the whole time I've been reading this thread...

Sponsored

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
I don’t know that it would go as far as moldy seats, because like previous posters said, the interior of the Jeep is designed for if/when you get caught in the rain with the top down. I DO think that they should definitely be pulling carpets and cleaning/drying them appropriately as needed. We got some strong rain in Nashville this past weekend so I’d be curious to know how long it was down. Worst case, they could probably replace the seat covers on the front if that’s what got wet. Otherwise, I’d document exactly what they do so you can come back later if something happens. I wouldn’t hesitate to involve FCA corporate.
Re: the electrical issue, I had a similar issue, although mine never got as far as shutting down on the road. That scares me because the only other time I heard of it saying that was a post a long time ago where it caught fire shortly after. Mine was an issue with the firing order and apparently a leaky gasket that was dripping oil onto a sensor that was then burning up from the heat of the engine. It took three trips to a dealer to get fixed. I’d have that dealer remedy the moisture issue and then promptly take it to another dealer for the electrical issue.
Be sure and let them know that you’re on the forum and that you’ll be sure to spread the word of their terrible service. Dealers love that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mold. The seats will be full of mold that can cause serious respiratory issues. The seats need to be replaced.
CAN be or MAY be, not WILL be.
I've restored and worked on many cars over the years that have sat - some with leaky windows and windshields, some with down or broken windows. One had the driver door window down for 7 years and did get rain inside when the tarp I had secured to it wasn't secure enough. No mold. No signs of mold or mildew. The current owner is doing a full restoration with no bolt or screw untouched, the seats and carpet were dirty, but not moldy, and were restorable although he said he's replacing carpet because of fading - and he had to take it out to repair some rust anyway.

It MAY be an issue depending on conditions, but it isn't a sure thing.

Seat materials these days are also a lot better than in the past.

It should be addressed as a possible, but not as a given.

(By the way - I'm very allergic to at least 18 of 36 things I was tested for - various molds among them, I'd be among the first to know if any car I have worked on had mold and when I get sick, I get SICK due to sinus issues)

OP
OP

HK31

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don’t know that it would go as far as moldy seats, because like previous posters said, the interior of the Jeep is designed for if/when you get caught in the rain with the top down. I DO think that they should definitely be pulling carpets and cleaning/drying them appropriately as needed. We got some strong rain in Nashville this past weekend so I’d be curious to know how long it was down. Worst case, they could probably replace the seat covers on the front if that’s what got wet. Otherwise, I’d document exactly what they do so you can come back later if something happens. I wouldn’t hesitate to involve FCA corporate.
Re: the electrical issue, I had a similar issue, although mine never got as far as shutting down on the road. That scares me because the only other time I heard of it saying that was a post a long time ago where it caught fire shortly after. Mine was an issue with the firing order and apparently a leaky gasket that was dripping oil onto a sensor that was then burning up from the heat of the engine. It took three trips to a dealer to get fixed. I’d have that dealer remedy the moisture issue and then promptly take it to another dealer for the electrical issue.
Be sure and let them know that you’re on the forum and that you’ll be sure to spread the word of their terrible service. Dealers love that.
considering I’ve lit their asses on fire on FB and IG, not sure they care about being roasted online. Still haven’t heard anything other than “we can’t put the windows up given the battery is out”. Didn’t someone say there is a way to do this?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
considering I’ve lit their asses on fire on FB and IG, not sure they care about being roasted online. Still haven’t heard anything other than “we can’t put the windows up given the battery is out”. Didn’t someone say there is a way to do this?
Pull the kick panel piece that covers where the wiring goes through the canvas "belt" from the door, find the points in the connector that handle the windows, power the window.
They'd need a small battery and a couple of jumper wires.

Or - can they put a battery on the thing long enough to power the windows up? Maybe jump to the jumper cable spots on the truck?

Anything can be done - if one is willing to try or do it.

Yes, they'd have to refer to a wiring diagram to find the pin positions in that connector for the windows, but the connector is EASILY accessible since you must disconnect it to remove the doors - so Jeep made it a 30 second access. In other words, in under 1 minute you can remove the panel and unplug that connector for access to the wires that power the windows.

My truck is sitting at a dealership waiting for the steering fix otherwise I'd go try it on my own truck and then document it.