Sponsored

Anyone have any experience with Insane Audio?

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Thought saw somewhere that Stinger next version will be Waterproof. Then will give it a look see
Yes, I talked to one of their reps at JeepFest, and they confirmed.
Sponsored

Reactions: BAT

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Thought saw somewhere that Stinger next version will be Waterproof. Then will give it a look see
Heard the same thing. To bad it looks like shit IMO.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Heard the same thing. To bad it looks like shit IMO.
Not really a lot of choices. I like some of the Insane Audio system but don't like that is all runs basically off of your phone. Jeep 8.4 just isn't big enough and cost is ridiculous for what they are offering. Perhaps Stinger will make some adjustments with the next version

If none work out all good my 7" system has been working fine and zero issues to deal with like my previous system in my Ram 1500.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Not really a lot of choices. I like some of the Insane Audio system but don't like that is all runs basically off of your phone. Jeep 8.4 just isn't big enough and cost is ridiculous for what they are offering. Perhaps Stinger will make some adjustments with the next version

If none work out all good my 7" system has been working fine and zero issues to deal with like my previous system in my Ram 1500.
I agree there are not many choices. But I honestly enjoy my IA system. I don't use the radio/XM so I cant comment on that as others have although I do not see why it wouldn't work since it connects to both stock antennas.

Unsure why someone is complaining that the unit connects too well to their phones hotspot...usually the complaint is that things don't connect properly.

Being able to load apps to use offline or online via hotspot/connecting to my houses' WIFI is something I very much enjoy. Do not know if Stinger and others have that ability (downloading apps to the unit itself).

I'll try XM today on my way home, but dunno if I even have it anymore LOL

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I know I'm a few months late to see the last updates in this but I'll restate what I did in the beginning of this thread...

The IA JL3001 does NOT have an XM Tuner(so no place to plug in the factory antenna)
To get XM, you need to download the app from the app/play store, run it with a connected wifi hot spot(your phone, or a dedicated hotspot device)
This works the same as using the xm app on your phone.

My complaint using the xm app is with the app itself and NOT the JL3001...the app does not support landscape mode well(phone turned on its side) and since this is basically a horizontal tablet it's always in landscape mode...BUT IT DOES WORK

and now using the the jl3001 for 2years, I am still VERY HAPPY with it...all initial quirks were fixed quickly, it has had support for all the factory functions, including aux switch programing, for quite some time now with the lastest firmware (probably a year or more)

Sponsored

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I know I'm a few months late to see the last updates in this but I'll restate what I did in the beginning of this thread...

The IA JL3001 does NOT have an XM Tuner(so no place to plug in the factory antenna)
To get XM, you need to download the app from the app/play store, run it with a connected wifi hot spot(your phone, or a dedicated hotspot device)
This works the same as using the xm app on your phone.

My complaint using the xm app is with the app itself and NOT the JL3001...the app does not support landscape mode well(phone turned on its side) and since this is basically a horizontal tablet it's always in landscape mode...BUT IT DOES WORK

and now using the the jl3001 for 2years, I am still VERY HAPPY with it...all initial quirks were fixed quickly, it has had support for all the factory functions, including aux switch programing, for quite some time now with the lastest firmware (probably a year or more)
Any chance you could take a quick video running through your favorite features after using it for a year? In my experience these android units tend to slow down a lot after 6-8 months. I’m very interested

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
What did you want to see specifically?

I don't know that I have any favorite features, it's a radio that does what it says it does....

The audio signal is super clean and strong but I cant really video that...

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
What did you want to see specifically?

I don't know that I have any favorite features, it's a radio that does what it says it does....

The audio signal is super clean and strong but I cant really video that...
I’m mostly interested in general usability. How does the connected internet work with maps, OffRoad apps, entertainment, how quickly does it boot up, visual quality of the backup camera. I’m trying to decide if this is better than an iPad strapped to the dash. Also, does it have and a gyro for clinometer apps?

LoPing

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Account Manager
I’m mostly interested in general usability. How does the connected internet work with maps, OffRoad apps, entertainment, how quickly does it boot up, visual quality of the backup camera. I’m trying to decide if this is better than an iPad strapped to the dash. Also, does it have and a gyro for clinometer apps?
I had it in for a month.. couldn't stand the fact that to use anything you must be connected to your phones 4GLTE (or 5G). Sirius XM has half the screen cut off so you cannot surf through the channels. If you do any real off roading where you lose cell service you'll be relegated to FM/AM. It's pretty cool if you're a mall crawler, you can watch Netflix, and Prime videos etc. Sirrius XM was the deal killer for me.. No dedicated receiver and wholly dependent on your cell service. I returned it and went with the OEM 8.4 which they tie to your VIN so when you go to sell your Jeep or trade it in it'll show that it came with the 8.4" U-Connect/Infotainment. Couldn't be happier with it.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I had it in for a month.. couldn't stand the fact that to use anything you must be connected to your phones 4GLTE (or 5G). Sirius XM has half the screen cut off so you cannot surf through the channels. If you do any real off roading where you lose cell service you'll be relegated to FM/AM. It's pretty cool if you're a mall crawler, you can watch Netflix, and Prime videos etc. Sirrius XM was the deal killer for me.. No dedicated receiver and wholly dependent on your cell service. I returned it and went with the OEM 8.4 which they tie to your VIN so when you go to sell your Jeep or trade it in it'll show that it came with the 8.4" U-Connect/Infotainment. Couldn't be happier with it.
This is all true...but for me it's a non issue. I live in an area that I will NEVER lose cell service...and I knew going in that it needed wifi to function as designed so I had the proper cell plan to handle the data.
I've used the factory 8.4 in multiple other vehicles and the ONLY advantage is the xm tuner...but again that's a problem with the app itself not the IA unit.

It's works just as a tablet would. If you live in civilization where you have good cell service you'll never have a problem. If you live where you have spotty cell service it will be less than great. Think of it as a cell phone...if your cell works this unit will work.
Boot up is instant ( I do a full reboot once month just like a do with my cell phone)

Video quality is great.
It's better than a tablet by miles....factory user options retained, fit to dash, audio signal quality, etc...

I don't know about any off-road apps

Sponsored

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I'm liking mine, big step up from the seven inch screen. More control over your audio, it sounds way better. I got rid of Sirius when my trial was up. I have music on a micro SD that I listen to.

My one issue is where have you all mounted you'd GPS antenna? I have mine right in front of the auto lights sensor glove on top of the dash. It is spotty at best. I haven't actually secured it with double sided tape because I can't find a decent place to mount it

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Mines dead center between the defrost vents. Zero issues with signal. And I never even notice it's there

I'm not positive on this but I think having it on the metal pad helps with signal..🤷🏻‍♂️

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
Mines dead center between the defrost vents. Zero issues with signal. And I never even notice it's there

I'm not positive on this but I think having it on the metal pad helps with signal..🤷🏻‍♂️
I'll give that placement a shot. Thanks

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Curious - I read the IA will stop any videos when the parking break isnt on. How does it do that with Android as its core.... It can stop all sources of videos?

Im not planning to stream netflix and drive, I am just curious how that works in practice.
It will by default (at least that is how mine came), but all you have to do is go into options and change it.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer

I understand the complaint about XM (I don't use it so I can't comment really), but I don't get the complaint about having to have internet to work. Your phone is exactly the same, if your phone has internet (and a hotspot) the IA works fine.
Sure, you can't use Netflix and Youtube and Amazon, etc without a hotspot/internet, but you can't do that without internet on your phone either and you can't do it at all on the factory head unit.

If you are going to be in areas with no internet, you can still use maps and other apps off line as long as you have planned ahead (just like your phone), just like a factory head unit.

The FM/AM radio as well as the built in Nav in the IA works without any internet connection.

My particular use case for the IA was to be able to run Gaia and other mapping apps natively on the head unit without having to add a tablet to the dash. It works excellent for this purpose. I have all my maps and layers on Gaia downloaded to the IA and it works very well.

The IA isn't the most powerful device, but I haven't had any issues runnning these apps at all.

The factory head unit (at least the 5 and 7") can't connect to the internet at all anyway, so any functions the IA can do with internet are just a bonus relativaley speaking, IMO.
Sponsored