rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Unpopular opinion time.

Most "overlanding" much like most "offroading" is actually spent on highways getting to the wilderness.

Some good tires and you could "overland" most BLM type roads. The added swagger points of a rubicon are for when you want to do some heavy duty offroading. The Overland is honestly a very comfortable sport s.

So... I'll crawl back under my bridge now.
I agree. One reason I wanted to build an overland vehicle was to put it on one of the most capable vehicles being built. Our last overland vehicle lacked power and gearing. The Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel full filled what I was looking for. A larger full size truck was not in the picture even though it could have a much bigger payload.
The gladiator with the EcoDiesel was just what I wanted.
I will keep tabs on the weight.
So far we love ❤ it.

AB97A431-2772-490A-B4A4-1ACBA5BDBB18.jpeg

1DACBD4D-D940-40A4-923B-8440A9E4F45C.jpeg

6D003DAF-E58C-413B-BB95-B009BB9A9406.jpeg

68701FB5-36E6-4F57-93EC-600703A57B6A.jpeg

269BEE6D-583B-40F0-828B-EEE227798620.jpeg

75D67B94-CF05-4158-B740-210D975018B7.jpeg

59EE5F3F-BAF0-4F67-80DF-A6B17AAB98FF.jpeg

F122ABFF-D9FD-4D1C-8D4B-2338515EFF3E.jpeg

C7DAD994-119F-445C-BCE1-44AC3FA70CED.jpeg
Sponsored

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Unpopular opinion time.

Most "overlanding" much like most "offroading" is actually spent on highways getting to the wilderness.

Some good tires and you could "overland" most BLM type roads. The added swagger points of a rubicon are for when you want to do some heavy duty offroading. The Overland is honestly a very comfortable sport s.

1000% this IMO. My Rubicon is effectively stock (no lift, 33"s) for this reason, and I've taken on some rather rocky trails with no issues. You're not alone under that bridge my friend.

Also, I'm one of those who's RTT and bed rack stay on full time. I don't have a garage, or anyone who could readily assist with removing those items when not in use. That said, I camp almost every other week so it makes sense to keep it in place. I do though make sure to remove all the other gear (shovel, recovery boards, fuel cans, etc.), when not wheeling. Point being: we're not all Instagram ready poseurs :)

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1000% this IMO. My Rubicon is effectively stock (no lift, 33"s) for this reason, and I've taken on some rather rocky trails with no issues. You're not alone under that bridge my friend.

Also, I'm one of those who's RTT and bed rack stay on full time. I don't have a garage, or anyone who could readily assist with removing those items when not in use. That said, I camp almost every other week so it makes sense to keep it in place. I do though make sure to remove all the other gear (shovel, recovery boards, fuel cans, etc.), when not wheeling. Point being: we're not all Instagram ready poseurs :)
Really? Are you referring to me as a poseur???

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not calling out anyone on here, just referencing a couple earlier posts on the topic where full RTT's etc. were mentioned. Sorry if I offended, wasn't my intent.
No problems. We have overlanded or vehicle camped for over 40 years together. I use photos to help identify to others what our build is. Being over the listed GVWR is a key for many overlanders. The gladiator platform is a very viable option for people who want to go where other’s cannot. It’s capability is unsurpassed in the four wheel community. Staying within the listed GVWR is very difficult when building an overland vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is really interesting to see some of the builds at Sema 2021. TacoZilla is definitely pushing the payload limits of a Tacoma.

AlbizzleFoShizzle

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
So I just recently added on an Arcus bumper and a warn winch. I never really thought about the weight til now.. based off of the mods I added along with the 37s tires & wheels… I still have about 350lbs to play with. which means I can add more personal items like beer, Scotch, more beers & steaks. Lol jk kind of.

I’m sure I’m reaching that 1,220lb payload mark In my Jeep Gladiator rubicon. Give or a take a few lbs, but most likely right on the money. I usually add the the RTT when I go out. The totally weight is including all mods.
(rtt as well) I’ve also included mine and my wife’s weight.

Being that we have many experts on here, I would like to know your options as far as hotting some moderate trail with rocks. I did FINS n THINGS with my RTT but not the winch. So there is a Difference of 140lbs.

In your opinions…
do you think It would safe to hit the same trail with the added weight?
below is my set up.

-2” mopar lift
-37 k02 AT3 with spare
-4.5 BS wheels &-12 offset
-fishbone half tackle bed rack
-warn evo 10s Winch •synthetic rope
-rugged ridge Arcus bumper
-Smitty built gen 2 RTT
-Hi lift jack
-ARB diff covers
-angry eyes grill (JUST KIDDING) not my style.

EACF76A2-BE5F-4409-8BFF-15E53F060D98.jpeg

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
So I just recently added on an Arcus bumper and a warn winch. I never really thought about the weight til now.. based off of the mods I added along with the 37s tires & wheels… I still have about 350lbs to play with. which means I can add more personal items like beer, Scotch, more beers & steaks. Lol jk kind of.

I’m sure I’m reaching that 1,220lb payload mark In my Jeep Gladiator rubicon. Give or a take a few lbs, but most likely right on the money. I usually add the the RTT when I go out. The totally weight is including all mods.
(rtt as well) I’ve also included mine and my wife’s weight.

Being that we have many experts on here, I would like to know your options as far as hotting some moderate trail with rocks. I did FINS n THINGS with my RTT but not the winch. So there is a Difference of 140lbs.

In your opinions…
do you think It would safe to hit the same trail with the added weight?
below is my set up.

-2” mopar lift
-37 k02 AT3 with spare
-4.5 BS wheels &-12 offset
-fishbone half tackle bed rack
-warn evo 10s Winch •synthetic rope
-rugged ridge Arcus bumper
-Smitty built gen 2 RTT
-Hi lift jack
-ARB diff covers
-angry eyes grill (JUST KIDDING) not my style.

Jeep Gladiator Are most Overlanding rigs overweight? EACF76A2-BE5F-4409-8BFF-15E53F060D98
Man I'd kill for 1220 lol. 1086 poverty here. :)

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I agree. One reason I wanted to build an overland vehicle was to put it on one of the most capable vehicles being built. Our last overland vehicle lacked power and gearing. The Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel full filled what I was looking for. A larger full size truck was not in the picture even though it could have a much bigger payload.
The gladiator with the EcoDiesel was just what I wanted.
I will keep tabs on the weight.
So far we love ❤ it.

AB97A431-2772-490A-B4A4-1ACBA5BDBB18.jpeg

1DACBD4D-D940-40A4-923B-8440A9E4F45C.jpeg

6D003DAF-E58C-413B-BB95-B009BB9A9406.jpeg

68701FB5-36E6-4F57-93EC-600703A57B6A.jpeg

269BEE6D-583B-40F0-828B-EEE227798620.jpeg

75D67B94-CF05-4158-B740-210D975018B7.jpeg

59EE5F3F-BAF0-4F67-80DF-A6B17AAB98FF.jpeg

F122ABFF-D9FD-4D1C-8D4B-2338515EFF3E.jpeg

C7DAD994-119F-445C-BCE1-44AC3FA70CED.jpeg
I want dimensions on those counters. F'ing beautiful!
Edit: total weight of camper and setup?

AlbizzleFoShizzle

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Man I'd kill for 1220 lol. 1086 poverty here. :)
We’re just all out trying to have time and be safe brother. I’d kill for more too. Haha!

And I’m sorry meant 1200 not 1220.

but yea…
I never really thought about it til now. I just always tried to stay light. I’m also confused about bed weight and pay load.

Any help would be AWSOME!! 🤙🏽
Thanks I’m advance

Sponsored

AlbizzleFoShizzle

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon

sometimes I feel stupid when I get lazy to take off my stuff after a run. I’m out there pumping gas while people are looking at me like I’m getting ready for a Zombie apocalypse. 🤷‍♂️

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Unpopular opinion time.

I'm guessing your overlanding consists of short trails far off. My kind of overlanding consists of trips like Trans American Trail 5600 miles, Heart of the West trail 2800 miles, just about any of the BDR trails 800 to 1200 miles each, Continental Divide Trail 2000+ miles, Arizona Peace Trail 1000+ miles, Baja from Calexico to Cabo and back 2000 miles and such. I typically spend much more time and miles in the dirt than I do getting there and back. Now if you consider Schnebley Hill Rd in AZ 20 or so Mike's an Overland trip like so many others your statement would be 100% correct. It does not generally apply to serious overlanders like myself.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Well... we are both right and both wrong if ya'dig. I put the terms in quotes to draw a distinction between those who overland and those who are "overlanders". I see a lot of rigs in the lots of "offroad shops" getting thousands on thousands of dollars applied in "upgrades" for trucks that will likey never go to war as it were. Rigs that go out and do it generally have only what they need as well as scratches, dents, scars and a general patina of lived in.

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm guessing your overlanding consists of short trails far off. My kind of overlanding consists of trips like Trans American Trail 5600 miles, Heart of the West trail 2800 miles, just about any of the BDR trails 800 to 1200 miles each, Continental Divide Trail 2000+ miles, Arizona Peace Trail 1000+ miles, Baja from Calexico to Cabo and back 2000 miles and such. I typically spend much more time and miles in the dirt than I do getting there and back. Now if you consider Schnebley Hill Rd in AZ 20 or so Mike's an Overland trip like so many others your statement would be 100% correct. It does not generally apply to serious overlanders like myself.
Along those lines...

The two-wheelers have a great website - ridebdr.com. Ride Backcountry Discovery Route. They have a handful of states right now where your route is predominately dirt roads.

I've always thought of overlanding as a fancy way to say car camping. No big deal.

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon
I came to the same conclusion. That is why I got the Sport Max Tow: 1550lb payload meant 350lbs more weight capacity than the Rubicons on the lot. Decrease by 50lbs for the running boards (not rock crawling so no need for rock rails), still 300lbs more, and I can always add rear lockers for 30lbs, so 270lbs more than the Rubicon.

Mopar steel bumper and Smittybilt winch: 160lbs
Rear winch, hitch cradle, and connectors: 110lbs
270lbs for winches
I would thus still have 1200lbs for gear and occupants: the full payload of a Rubicon

Max Modular AL 14” rack: 42lbs
Front Runner RTT: 93lbs
Straps, ropes, d-rings, hooks, chains, air compressor: 50lbs

Say a 10 day trip for the wife and I, going up to 100mi into the wilderness
3 x 5gal gas tanks (150mi of off road miles, worst case scenario if we need to get back): 120
20gal water: 165
30lbs of food (steaks and potatoes get heavy)
100lbs for fridge, cooking stove, heating fule

600lbs there. We’re at half the Rubicon’s payload left and we’re almost done

That leaves 600lbs for the wife and I, guns, ammo, clothes, sleeping gear, radio, batteries, etc.

or screw the winches, if I am traveling on fairly good trails, a come-along and ground anchor should be just fine. Put that 270lbs of bumber cradle and winches towards a Fab Four rack and extension and be able to carry more stuff easily, I hate obstructing the rear view mirror at all, and that would allow me to store everything below the bed line and on the rack/roof.

My arithmetic could be off.
It's only going to help a little, but I see you're taking the additional items but for some of those items, you're removing stock items that have weight too. Maybe that front bumper/winch combo only adds net 70-80 lbs (just making up a number here) but you get the idea. Every pound counts!
Sponsored