Sponsored

Auto or 6-Speed....and why

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
This truck is on my short list because it has a manual option. I will not buy an auto period. More expensive to buy, more difficult to service, more costly to service, more likely to fail, more costly to repair/replace, and less fun to drive.

I have to roll through the gears. I don't have bad traffic and when I do I idle in whatever gear I need to and leave plenty of space to reduce stop and go.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This truck is on my short list because it has a manual option. I will not buy an auto period. More expensive to buy, more difficult to service, more costly to service, more likely to fail, more costly to repair/replace, and less fun to drive.

I have to roll through the gears. I don't have bad traffic and when I do I idle in whatever gear I need to and leave plenty of space to reduce stop and go.
More expensive to buy - Yes.

More difficult to service - Nope. It requires no service for "lifetime of unit", unlike the manual that has a clutch disc, slave cylinder, pedal and linkage, etc. to replace periodically.

More costly to service - Nope. There is zero service on the auto for "lifetime of unit". However, the clutch job on the manual will cost a minimum of hundreds of dollars.

More likely to fail - Nope. The ZF auto is used worldwide in everything from pickup trucks to exotic supercars. It's extremely reliable. The manual transmissions in Wrangler from 2011-2017 had rampant issues with syncronizers, clutch discs, odd noises, popping out of gear, water intrusion, etc. I wouldn't expect the 2018 D478 model to be cured of all of those issues, but it will perhaps be better.

More costly to repair/replace - Debatable. Have you priced a D478 transmission lately? The 850RFE is everywhere, and can be sourced from salvage yards if a need arises.

Less fun to drive - Debatable. The D478 is a blast in rural areas. But in the city traffic, the 850RFE is a dream. Depends on where you spend most of your time.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
More expensive to buy - Yes.

More difficult to service - Nope. It requires no service for "lifetime of unit", unlike the manual that has a clutch disc, slave cylinder, pedal and linkage, etc. to replace periodically.

Less fun to drive - Debatable. The D478 is a blast in rural areas. But in the city traffic, the 850RFE is a dream. Depends on where you spend most of your time.
That's like, your opinion man. :)

And besides, define lifetime.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Some of you may be concerned that you will get less money for a manual transmission truck when you decide to sell it or to trade it. But just consider the flip side of the coin. It’s really simple:

You pay less to buy a manual transmission car or truck from the start so expect to get a tad less for it when you sell it.

And you pay more for an automatic car or truck so you can expect to get more money back in your pocket when you decide to sell that automatic transmission car or truck.

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
My wife! It's always my wife! Just say I do and from that point she thinks it's a binding contract.
Not really but she has a lot to say in the matter. She can drive a stick ( I cringe that my JK is screaming) but to make it easier an auto is fine. :surprised:

Sponsored

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I'm an engineer by training. I can sit down and weigh the technical pros/cons against the requirements all day long. The proper answer: the auto. Will I be buying an auto? HECK NO! This is a "lifestyle" vehicle. I fricken LOVE driving manual trans and I am grateful one is still offered in this vehicle so I am going to support the manufacturer and purchase one!

I LOVE the manual in my JKU. Is it a "good" trans? HECK NO! It's terrible! The throws are terrible, the clutch is hysterical, the shifts feel like potato. But you know what? It's a fricken riot to drive! Yeah, I double clutch my downshifts. That's just how crazy I am.

ac

ors0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Manual. All of my vehicles have and will always be manual. This is the only pickup available in manual at the best trim and options so I have to support Jeep.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I can sit down and weigh the technical pros/cons against the requirements all day long. The proper answer: the auto. Will I be buying an auto? HECK NO! This is a "lifestyle" vehicle. I fricken LOVE driving manual trans and I am grateful one is still offered

ac
^This exactly!

That's like, your opinion man. :)

You have no frame of reference here, Donny. You are like child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I'm almost 50 and some arthritis in my left knee from dirt bikes, football, and running. Definitely going with the Auto.

Capman99

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger, Ford mustang
Manual
1. more fun
2. nostalgic
3. more fun
4. more in tune with the vehicle
5. no one asks to borrow your truck / anti theft
6. more fun
7. keep the real driving experience alive before we are all being driven by autonomous vehicles
8. more fun

Many posts about how the auto is better for mileage, towing, and in traffic. In traffic is not an issue as the clutch is second nature to me. I don't tow anything heavy, if I wanted mpgs I would not buy a jeep. There is one performance area that the manual exceeds the auto, admittedly by a very minimal amount and unimportant to most people, however the manual is better at going slow with an 84:1 4x4 low ratio. I don't remember but the auto is 70 something to 1.

Oh did I mention rowing your own is more fun!!!
Beat me to it. Personally, I would not buy a jeep without a manual transmission.

Sponsored

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Manual

Love it too much to not drive it and if the Jeep didn't come with stick, I'd be getting a Taco instead.

Also, my gf can drive stick, so only person in the house who can't is my sister xD

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Auto....UGH! I’ve never had an automatic Jeep or truck, but I need the max tow package so at this point it looks like I’m about to have something new to me.

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Manual.

It's been scientifically proven that driving with a MT raises your testosterone 75 points if you are a man over 50, same levels of estrogen if you are a female, if you are gender X/other you will have to wait for further studies. As another bonus you get to replace three punch-outs of your man card. For example, that time you went to a Cher concert with your wife. ;-)

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Some of you may be concerned that you will get less money for a manual transmission truck when you decide to sell it or to trade it. But just consider the flip side of the coin. It’s really simple:

You pay less to buy a manual transmission car or truck from the start so expect to get a tad less for it when you sell it.

And you pay more for an automatic car or truck so you can expect to get more money back in your pocket when you decide to sell that automatic transmission car or truck.
I think it's the other way around, since automatics are a dime a dozen these days and manuals are more rare, especially since you these days, you get it mostly because you want it