Sponsored

Auto or 6-Speed....and why

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Look at it, maybe as early as in 1920's but certainly last century we had mechanicals sorted. .
While I mostly agree with you I’ll say my all mechanical and completely overhauled 1947 CJ-2a goes about 500-1000 miles between needing something addressed, compare that to my other cars in the 10-15 year old vehicles that need brakes and plugs every 10 years and that’s about it. The computers and electronics are a concern but overall they are doing a lot of things right these days.

It does make me wonder how impossible it will be to do a full restoration on a JT in year 2090 though....
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Start stop is the biggest thing keeping me from getting a stick shift JT, the fact that i could be on hill and my engine shuts off when i push in the clucth by design is so ridiculous. yes i can disabled it but it shouldnt even exist in the first place.
The engine on a lifestyle vehicle meant for treacherous conditions has an auto turn off feature. LOL. (sure, it'll never, ever come on by itself, just like swerve control doesn't disable 4wheeldrive which it does).

I am very afraid people will have lane assist on over icy mountain roads. That's like asking the worst driver to handle the most soft touch situations. Really?

What happens if an elk jumps out and triggers your auto break on a curve?

Cool enough if you choose it. Not for me tho.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
While I mostly agree with you I’ll say my all mechanical and completely overhauled 1947 CJ-2a goes about 500-1000 miles between needing something addressed, compare that to my other cars in the 10-15 year old vehicles that need brakes and plugs every 10 years and that’s about it. The computers and electronics are a concern but overall they are doing a lot of things right these days.

It does make me wonder how impossible it will be to do a full restoration on a JT in year 2090 though....
Agree. My overstating is to make a point. Moderation in all things.

But dont tell me its why JT costs so much and it is needed, because I'll take the cheaper no tech vehicle in that case!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Start stop is the biggest thing keeping me from getting a stick shift JT, the fact that i could be on hill and my engine shuts off when i push in the clucth by design is so ridiculous. yes i can disabled it but it shouldnt even exist in the first place.
I am not positive but I think I read somewhere that for the ESS to turn off the vehicle with a m/t you have to 1. disengage the clutch, 2. put the vehicle in neutral, and 3. release the clutch pedal. Technically that is how you are supposed to stop at a light anyway way. I don’t, but I hear it is better for the clutch and synchros. I think by sitting at a stop with the clutch disengaged (pedal pushed down) ESS will not come into play.

Side note, the engine restarts when you push the clutch pedal down again, that way by the time you are raising you foot to engage the clutch the engine is running.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I am not positive but I think I read somewhere that for the ESS to turn off the vehicle with a m/t you have to 1. disengage the clutch, 2. put the vehicle in neutral, and 3. release the clutch pedal. Technically that is how you are supposed to stop at a light anyway way. I don’t, but I hear it is better for the clutch and synchros. I think by sitting at a stop with the clutch disengaged (pedal pushed down) ESS will not come into play.

Side note, the engine restarts when you push the clutch pedal down again, that way by the time you are raising you foot to engage the clutch the engine is running.
its better on the throwout bearing.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
didn't somebody post something to disable the ESS for like $350? I wouldn't let something like the ESS stop me from enjoying the vehicle i want if a $350 investment fixed it.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
didn't somebody post something to disable the ESS for like $350? I wouldn't let something like the ESS stop me from enjoying the vehicle i want if a $350 investment fixed it.
Most of the devices you can buy to "turn off" ESS actually work by simulating a press of the ESS Disable button on the dash. So, what you're doing is paying $300 for a device that does what your index finger can do for free. I never saw the value in that at all...but to each their own.

ESS is a fantastic feature once you train your brain to it. You can module the brake pedal effort to engage/disengage it when stopped, and if you monitor your fuel economy with hand calculations over time you will see a significant savings in gas/money.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I’ve most always driven a stick shift. When they went from 4 speed sticks to 5 speeds I thought it would be hard getting used to that extra 5th gear. But no, it was a very easy transition. And everyone knows that the manual transmission for the Gladiator will be a 6 speed. And I’ve never driven a 6 speed manual. For those of you with experience driving a 6 speed manual I’d love to know if that is rather easy to get used to and do you use that 6th gear very much or only once up to highway speeds on Interstate highways? And please no laughing here, serious question from someone who’s never driven a 6 speed manual. Thanks much.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the devices you can buy to "turn off" ESS actually work by simulating a press of the ESS Disable button on the dash. So, what you're doing is paying $300 for a device that does what your index finger can do for free. I never saw the value in that at all...but to each their own.

ESS is a fantastic feature once you train your brain to it. You can module the brake pedal effort to engage/disengage it when stopped, and if you monitor your fuel economy with hand calculations over time you will see a significant savings in gas/money.
I wouldn't pay that, i'd just let it give me better fuel economy unless i was crawling (have not ever done that yet) and then i'd shut it off, BUT.....

if somebody likes everything else about the Gladiator other than the ESS, they should just pay the $300 and be done.

Sponsored

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I’ve most always driven a stick shift. When they went from 4 speed sticks to 5 speeds I thought it would be hard getting used to that extra 5th gear. But no, it was a very easy transition. And everyone knows that the manual transmission for the Gladiator will be a 6 speed. And I’ve never driven a 6 speed manual. For those of you with experience driving a 6 speed manual I’d love to know if that is rather easy to get used to and do you use that 6th gear very much or only once up to highway speeds on Interstate highways? And please no laughing here, serious question from someone who’s never driven a 6 speed manual. Thanks much.
I have a 6 speed manual in my JKU and it's second nature. On the JKU 6th is the only overdrive so you get used to using all 6 gears. I'm in 6th most of the time I'm over 40mph.

ac

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Thanks, may try that out if Jeep dies not overprice this truck.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I have a 6 speed manual in my JKU and it's second nature. On the JKU 6th is the only overdrive so you get used to using all 6 gears. I'm in 6th most of the time I'm over 40mph.

ac
Yep. Even running 35s, with the 4.10 gears, you can run around in 6th pretty easily as long as you don't have a hill to pull. Same thing... shift up to 6th at about 35mph and putter along keeping the rpms low. I'm not trying to blow anyone away at the red light. Mileage lost from lift and tires is mitigated by a light foot. Need a heavy foot... drop down a few and stomp.

The shock for me honestly, having had mostly 3.73 geared manual trucks, is that at highway speeds the Jeep felt like it was screaming with no more gears to shift into. Was just used to being under 2000 rpms at highways speeds. I've always shifted off engine feel... and it felt like I should have another gear to go. Once you get used to it, it's just the new normal.
Sponsored