Sponsored

Auto Start Stop Failure/Then complete loss of power failure--Gladiator dead in its tracks

Dhelmink

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Update from dealer service center--Power distribution center went bad. It is on order so should be back in the saddle in week. No idea what caused it to fail, but at least we have an answer.
Bring my gladiator in for the third time on Wednesday. The vehicle has 5600 miles and the start stop, has stopped working again. I have no confidence that the dealer can solve it. I frankly don’t know what to do, any experiences or ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Bring my gladiator in for the third time on Wednesday. The vehicle has 5600 miles and the start stop, has stopped working again. I have no confidence that the dealer can solve it. I frankly don’t know what to do, any experiences or ideas would be appreciated.

Try another dealer.

RegisterKJ67

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2016 JK Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Supervisor
The Auto Start/Stop came up with a failure on the screen at only 7,700 miles. Took to dealer to have the Auto/Start stop battery replaced. Picked truck up, went out later that night, was driving out of a parking space and the Gladiator completely died. No power to anything--no lights, no remote start, horn, nothing, came to a littoral grinding halt and could not even get it out of drive. Had it towed back to dealer, they could not find anything caused by the repair, no lose ground wires, etc. and then while working on it, it came back to life on its own. The still have it trying to solve the issue since it has the potential to be very dangerous if this would have occurred on a highway. Any others out there with this issue and what was the resolution? Electrical issues are the worst to track down so wanted to give this a shot--not very confident in my Gladiator any more. Will still get another one, just not sure if I want to keep mine after this.
Had a very similar situation this morning with my Mojave. After having problems, limping it into the dealership, they replaced the transmission....and this morning I went to pick it up. Got in it, cranked it up and NOTHING! Complete loss of power. We left and came back an hour later, the mechanics pushed it into the shop and were baffled. No clue. They disconnected everything hoping to "reset" everything.
Six hours later I get a call from the dealership saying they got it running and want to keep it through the weekend to see if they have issues. We'll see. I'm not going to be a happy camper if I get it back and it does it again. Especially if it does it far from home of out in the middle of nowhere. I have already told the GM I want a new vehicle as well as Jeep Cares. But I don't see anything being done. Many people have told me it is actually pronounced Jeep Doesn't-Care. We'll see.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
Had a very similar situation this morning with my Mojave. After having problems, limping it into the dealership, they replaced the transmission....and this morning I went to pick it up. Got in it, cranked it up and NOTHING! Complete loss of power. We left and came back an hour later, the mechanics pushed it into the shop and were baffled. No clue. They disconnected everything hoping to "reset" everything.
Six hours later I get a call from the dealership saying they got it running and want to keep it through the weekend to see if they have issues. We'll see. I'm not going to be a happy camper if I get it back and it does it again. Especially if it does it far from home of out in the middle of nowhere. I have already told the GM I want a new vehicle as well as Jeep Cares. But I don't see anything being done. Many people have told me it is actually pronounced Jeep Doesn't-Care. We'll see.
Yikes. Hope they get it fixed soon. Auto transmission?

RegisterKJ67

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2016 JK Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Supervisor
Yikes. Hope they get it fixed soon. Auto transmission?
Yeah. I truly believe that they changed out a perfectly good transmission. Throughout the internet I can't find where a single one had problems with that transmission. Any vehicle at all. I think the engineers are having the shops change parts as a process of elimination. I truly believe it is with the computer and/or electronics. If you change out a transmission and then total power failure....I tend to doubt the transmission was even the problem.

Update: the shop got it started by disconnecting the main power and letting the system reboot. They are keeping it through the weekend to see if it will screw up again. We'll see.

Sponsored

jjowers

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Launch edition)
Occupation
Management
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Last week our 2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (38,000 miles) turned off at a stop light. I believe Autostop was disengaged. The engine cut-off and the display said to put the transmission in Park and restart. I did so and the starter did not engage (or make any sound). We had it towed to the local Jeep dealership. The service center diagnosed that the Power Distribution Center (PDC) failed. I read the forum posts and told the service center manager to consider replacing the Mopar Case fuse Array rather than the expensive PDC. The service manager stated the PDC totally failed and the Mopar Case fuse Array is sold as a unit of the PDC and not sold separately. I asked if I can keep the old PDC, the service manager said there is a core charge of $250-$500. So, I will not be able to figure out if the PDC was a total fail. Very disappointing. The PDC is approximately $300 and labor $350-ish.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Last week our 2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (38,000 miles) turned off at a stop light. I believe Autostop was disengaged. The engine cut-off and the display said to put the transmission in Park and restart. I did so and the starter did not engage (or make any sound). We had it towed to the local Jeep dealership. The service center diagnosed that the Power Distribution Center (PDC) failed. I read the forum posts and told the service center manager to consider replacing the Mopar Case fuse Array rather than the expensive PDC. The service manager stated the PDC totally failed and the Mopar Case fuse Array is sold as a unit of the PDC and not sold separately. I asked if I can keep the old PDC, the service manager said there is a core charge of $250-$500. So, I will not be able to figure out if the PDC was a total fail. Very disappointing. The PDC is approximately $300 and labor $350-ish.
The Power Distribution Center is $241.20.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem...vciZ5PTIwMjAmdD1ydWJpY29uJmU9My02bC12Ni1nYXM=

Being that you can order it online without any mention of a core charge, I find it hard to believe they really need it as a core. And, even if they did, how can the core charge be more than the PDC brand new?

My guess is that they aren't sure if that is the fix so they don't want you to test it. If they are replacing it under warranty, they don't have to give it to you. If you are paying out of pocket, they have to provide it to you. If they insist on the core charge, tell them you need it for the day and will bring it back to them. If they won't accomidate you, I would then ask to see the reference to the core charge from Jeep.

jjowers

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
The Power Distribution Center is $241.20.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-power-distribution-center-68359123ab?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cG93ZXItZGlzdHJpYnV0aW9uLWZ1c2UtYmxvY2stanVuY3Rpb24tYmxvY2stcmVsYXlzLWFuZC1mdXNlcyZsPTE2Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9amVlcCZvPWdsYWRpYXRvciZ5PTIwMjAmdD1ydWJpY29uJmU9My02bC12Ni1nYXM=

Being that you can order it online without any mention of a core charge, I find it hard to believe they really need it as a core. And, even if they did, how can the core charge be more than the PDC brand new?

My guess is that they aren't sure if that is the fix so they don't want you to test it. If they are replacing it under warranty, they don't have to give it to you. If you are paying out of pocket, they have to provide it to you. If they insist on the core charge, tell them you need it for the day and will bring it back to them. If they won't accomidate you, I would then ask to see the reference to the core charge from Jeep.
Punk'n,
Thanks. I'm paying out of pocket. (38,000 miles) Yes, I'm suspicious of the reply from the service manager. Certainly sounds like they don't want me to investigate/confirm diagnosis. Also, they are up-charging for the PDC. Sad reflect on Jeep service. I'll provide updates, hopefully it will help others. Thanks again, Jonathan

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Punk'n,
Thanks. I'm paying out of pocket. (38,000 miles) Yes, I'm suspicious of the reply from the service manager. Certainly sounds like they don't want me to investigate/confirm diagnosis. Also, they are up-charging for the PDC. Sad reflect on Jeep service. I'll provide updates, hopefully it will help others. Thanks again, Jonathan
If the dealership is selling the part at full retail and not discount wholesale like some other dealerships do, that does not mean your dealership is "up-charging" the part they are selling to you.

jjowers

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
If the dealership is selling the part at full retail and not discount wholesale like some other dealerships do, that does not mean your dealership is "up-charging" the part they are selling to you.
Hootbro,
Thanks. I get it. j2

Sponsored

jjowers

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Update: Service manager called. New Autostop battery required. Battery measured 4 volts. $150. So, I'll pick up the Gladiator back tomorrow, new PDC, battery, labor ~$900-ish. out of pocket. I can't afford gas prices - so... I'll sell a kidney. :)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Update: Service manager called. New Autostop battery required. Battery measured 4 volts. $150. So, I'll pick up the Gladiator back tomorrow, new PDC, battery, labor ~$900-ish. out of pocket. I can't afford gas prices - so... I'll sell a kidney. :)
Something tells me they threw the parts cannon at it with the call for the PDC and that did not work out and finally found the ESS battery dead and probably was your original problem to begin with.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Something tells me they threw the parts cannon at it with the call for the PDC and that did not work out and finally found the ESS battery dead and probably was your original problem to begin with.
This sounds about right.

"Car died you say? Well....let's get started with a wiper blade change...then a drain and refill of the blinker fluid....then if that doesn't work, we will re-journal the muffler bearings.... You should plan on about six to ten days for us to get parts..."

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
And, that's why they claim there is a PDC core charge. So, that you can't get it back to test it.

I would at least ask to see it (PDC) when picking up the truck. My guess (again) is that they never replaced it so they won't have the original to show you. Because.... its still in the truck.

jjowers

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Hootbro,
Sounds like a likely scenario. Too bad the fail happened while we were in NC mountains and not close to home, I would have towed home and diagnosed and fixed myself. But at least I'll pick her up today. Hopefully the saga of fails ends here. j2
Sponsored