First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
OK, I was just wondering if I had missed something, and was wondering about the exact text and so on.
Here's the kicker on your battery thing - Jeep and others are extremely tight on battery warranty. There's a specific test that they must perform "by the book" and the results included with the warranty papers (at least that's how I read some of the info I found?!?)
It's a GR8 test device and procedure. The battery to be tested needs to be at 12.4 volts and it's a load test. I've found nothing about over-night so I wonder what they are doing?
Maybe they did a full over-night charge process then tested them because the test is not long.
Anyway, from what I've seen, they need to print the GF8 results for warranty reimbursement. Maybe one of the real techs here can confirm or say "no way" to that.

I guess in a way, with what we are seeing, experiencing, and your results and experiences, we're finding that Jeep and the shops are in the "we have no real clue" area right now and punting.
Yep, punting for sure, in addition to still blaming my aftermarket stepsliders.
Sponsored

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Mine is a '22, born on date 2/14. Have 1,700 miles on it. Today had to take a short trip of 15 miles. Temp was 25F. voltage was 12.9 before starting on the Off Road page. After starting, voltage went to 13.4. For the OK, engine temp had to get to 195F, oil temp to 200F before I got the OK. Voltage was bouncing around. That was after about 5 miles of driving. Voltage settled down to 13.4 until I slowed down about 4 miles later, then started to bounce around again. Anywhere from 11.7 to 14.7. Stop at a stop sign, engine shut off and voltage was 11.7. Took some pressure off the brake pedal, and engine restarted. I was still stopped. It was still saying OK. Turned the steering wheel and it said Not ready. Played around a bit more. Things that stuck out so far. Water temp, oil temp, steering wheel and brake pedal pressure. Voltage really didn't make a difference. It was anywhere from 11.7 to 14.7.
I saw 11.7 volts while driving on the day I bought the truck . I thought . that can't be right . never
seen that unless something was wrong . Went to the service desk and was told " Oh that's normal "
Smart charging system . Really ? Funny thing is the ESS worked perfectly . Until it didn't 6 months later. I have another post about the dealer replacing the just the aux .Said the main tested fine .
We'll see .

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
OK, I was just wondering if I had missed something, and was wondering about the exact text and so on.
Here's the kicker on your battery thing - Jeep and others are extremely tight on battery warranty. There's a specific test that they must perform "by the book" and the results included with the warranty papers (at least that's how I read some of the info I found?!?)
It's a GR8 test device and procedure. The battery to be tested needs to be at 12.4 volts and it's a load test. I've found nothing about over-night so I wonder what they are doing?
Maybe they did a full over-night charge process then tested them because the test is not long.
Anyway, from what I've seen, they need to print the GF8 results for warranty reimbursement. Maybe one of the real techs here can confirm or say "no way" to that.

I guess in a way, with what we are seeing, experiencing, and your results and experiences, we're finding that Jeep and the shops are in the "we have no real clue" area right now and punting.
My dealer said 4 hour charge to test the batteries . Go figure.

OP
OP
RLSavage

RLSavage

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
My dealer service department said I was not driving enough to get the battery charged enough. Last weekend I drove it on a road trip 4.5 hours each way and it always said not Available battery charging. I called the dealer and have not heard back from them, I am at a loss.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer said 4 hour charge to test the batteries . Go figure.
Even if not really necessary, and much of the time it isn't, I'd trust THAT 4 hours over the 38 minutes mine did.
The length of time I'm finding varies wildly based on actual Soc (State of Charge) of the batteries, amp hours of the batteries and the amps of the charger among other things.
If they say 4 hours - then they must want them to go through the entire proper set of "phases" or stages of charging. Rather than than quickly throw in enough just to run and test and send you out the door.

My dealer service department said I was not driving enough to get the battery charged enough. Last weekend I drove it on a road trip 4.5 hours each way and it always said not Available battery charging. I called the dealer and have not heard back from them, I am at a loss.
Back to these thoughts:
Jeep has a pissy design that means an ordinary owner/driver will never keep the batteries charged
or
Jeep is using some nasty short-life batteries that can't be charged or hold a charge in normal use
or
Some Jeeps have an abnormal drain on the system when sitting
or
Who the heck knows.
If a 20-30 minute drive every couple of days doesn't keep these batteries up over 60% we are all doomed to very short battery life and things never working correctly.
I have never before seen vehicles that required a 60minute drive daily to keep batteries maintained and lasting 6 to 12 years.
Yes, my F250 original went 12 years
My Silverado original battery made 6 years
I am not confident mine will last even to 3 years and I'm really bugged that after driving it 20 minutes, sitting 10, then driving another 20 minutes that my batteries were under 50%.
It's perplexing. It's perplexing in part because AGM batteries charge faster than ordinary flooded lead/acid batteries. That's supposedly their advantage - faster charging (among other things)
No vehicle should have to be driven an hour or more each and every day to keep the batteries up and healthy.
I'd love for that dealer to explain - ok, then what IS the minimum drive time to make batteries LAST more than 3 years and/or stay fully charged?
I think I'll ask 'em that next time I go in for this very problem.
Explain why in 2015 is was good enough to drive 30 minutes, not even every day, but now it's not and what is their recommendation - drive around all day until they are charged?

Last edited:

Sponsored

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
Took Korg on a trail ride today. Got in this morning and checked state of charge via ODB/Jscan. Was 71% at start of morning. After 3+ hours of road driving and many hours trail riding at low speeds, checked state of charge when I got home and it showed 89%.

Can't believe after all that driving it still didn't get near 100%.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Took Korg on a trail ride today. Got in this morning and checked state of charge via ODB/Jscan. Was 71% at start of morning. After 3+ hours of road driving and many hours trail riding at low speeds, checked state of charge when I got home and it showed 89%.

Can't believe after all that driving it still didn't get near 100%.
Exactly

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Even if not really necessary, and much of the time it isn't, I'd trust THAT 4 hours over the 38 minutes mine did.
The length of time I'm finding varies wildly based on actual Soc (State of Charge) of the batteries, amp hours of the batteries and the amps of the charger among other things.
If they say 4 hours - then they must want them to go through the entire proper set of "phases" or stages of charging. Rather than than quickly throw in enough just to run and test and send you out the door.

Back to these thoughts:
Jeep has a pissy design that means an ordinary owner/driver will never keep the batteries charged
or
Jeep is using some nasty short-life batteries that can't be charged or hold a charge in normal use
or
Some Jeeps have an abnormal drain on the system when sitting
or
Who the heck knows.
If a 20-30 minute drive every couple of days doesn't keep these batteries up over 60% we are all doomed to very short battery life and things never working correctly.
I have never before seen vehicles that required a 60minute drive daily to keep batteries maintained and lasting 6 to 12 years.
Yes, my F250 original went 12 years
My Silverado original battery made 6 years
I am not confident mine will last even to 3 years and I'm really bugged that after driving it 20 minutes, sitting 10, then driving another 20 minutes that my batteries were under 50%.
It's perplexing. It's perplexing in part because AGM batteries charge faster than ordinary flooded lead/acid batteries. That's supposedly their advantage - faster charging (among other things)
No vehicle should have to be driven an hour or more each and every day to keep the batteries up and healthy.
I'd love for that dealer to explain - ok, then what IS the minimum drive time to make batteries LAST more than 3 years and/or stay fully charged?
I think I'll ask 'em that next time I go in for this very problem.
Explain why in 2015 is was good enough to drive 30 minutes, not even every day, but now it's not and what is their recommendation - drive around all day until they are charged?
Yes, but Bill these systems have been in R&D for many, many years. They are designed, tested and built with real world driving and climatological issues in consideration. I highly doubt that engineers would consider it a "pissy design". I would assume that the majority of Jeep owners would disagree and have had very good service from their battery life. This can certainly include owners of all other makes and models.

Perplexing may be an understatement, but we cannot necessarily overthink the basics of the system as a whole. It’s hard to think of a more universal cause of anxiety, frustration, and stress than overthinking. One cannot deny that overall electrical systems have made massive improvements over systems past.

Whether it’s worry about the future, rumination about the past, or hypercriticism of other people, our ability to think critically is a double-edged sword we’d all do well to be more careful with.

Wasatch1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 LE worked fine for about 10 months. First service replaced both batteries, worked for a month. Second service they said batteries good, charged for 3 hrs. Worked a few weeks then stopped. They also said I'm not driving it enough... it's a daily driver 10-20 miles even freeway speeds. So interestingly, after 3 months of not working, I dove to my local ski resort, very steep, some 4th gear high rpm. ESS worked 2 days after. Now 3 months not working again. I am not happy with these electrical issues. I don't have time to leave my truck over night for them to charge batteries! I also don't want to be using a trickle charger daily. Im already in panick mode, so i got a portable NOCO jump starter if i get stuck with a no start in the mountains. Funny thing, if JEEP every thinks I will be interested in anything they make EV wise, it's a solid no!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 LE worked fine for about 10 months. First service replaced both batteries, worked for a month. Second service they said batteries good, charged for 3 hrs. Worked a few weeks then stopped. They also said I'm not driving it enough... it's a daily driver 10-20 miles even freeway speeds. So interestingly, after 3 months of not working, I dove to my local ski resort, very steep, some 4th gear high rpm. ESS worked 2 days after. Now 3 months not working again. I am not happy with these electrical issues. I don't have time to leave my truck over night for them to charge batteries! I also don't want to be using a trickle charger daily. Im already in panick mode, so i got a portable NOCO jump starter if i get stuck with a no start in the mountains. Funny thing, if JEEP every thinks I will be interested in anything they make EV wise, it's a solid no!
10-20 miles isn't going to keep batteries charged.
Frankly, if it's like mine, you'd only need to charge it thoroughly with a correct AGM charger once, and then keep a float charger on it when not driving it for a few days.

But I'm observing that short drives like that aren't going to keep up with the drain - and it's not enough to keep the oil free of condensation. You need 20-30 minutes of driving after reaching operating temperature to keep things out of the "short in town drives" type drives.

These run such low RPM - I've wondered about putting a much smaller pulley on the alternator.

Sponsored

Wasatch1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Worked absolutely fine for almost a year... plus my miles are mostly city, hot stop and go, so it always gets to proper temps in a few min. Even went on tons of 3-5 hours road trips that involved offroad camping with the system not working. Running 37s, 4.88 gears and go to the Canyons hiking/biking twice a week so it's getting plenty of load.

Maybe you are correct the pulley as an option though? Same thing people saying R-134a wasn't as cold, when it was newer vehicles low RPM.

Anyway, I guess my point is, I shouldn't be a research guinnypig. This rig is not working like it should.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway, I guess my point is, I shouldn't be a research guinnypig. This rig is not working like it should.
You nailed it there. It isn't doing a good job.

There are issues with these trucks not keeping the batteries charged. I've pretty much proven that with weeks, now months, of research on my own truck, experimenting, and observing some of the symptoms others are seeing.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician

We do have to have a printout of the test results from the GR8 tester for warranty claims, also have to have a screen shot of the WiTech screen with the GR8 test verification. It is a convoluted thing to do just to get paid for a warranty claim on a battery or batteries. It is not that is dealership techs don't want to replace defective batteries, but Stellantis doesn't make it any easier for us. Until this latest round of rules, I was usually able to get both batteries approved with just a quick test with the GR8.

Also, you are right about charging the batteries THROUGH the IBS instead of "blind" charging at the post. Always charge through the IBS, this reduces the amount of time that the IBS requires to learn the correct state of charge.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We do have to have a printout of the test results from the GR8 tester for warranty claims, also have to have a screen shot of the WiTech screen with the GR8 test verification. It is a convoluted thing to do just to get paid for a warranty claim on a battery or batteries. It is not that is dealership techs don't want to replace defective batteries, but Stellantis doesn't make it any easier for us. Until this latest round of rules, I was usually able to get both batteries approved with just a quick test with the GR8.

Also, you are right about charging the batteries THROUGH the IBS instead of "blind" charging at the post. Always charge through the IBS, this reduces the amount of time that the IBS requires to learn the correct state of charge.
Yeah, I've got the instructions on battery claims. As I recall, GM is similar. They specify the tool, how to use it, and a host of other things.
I'll bet this looks familiar to someone like you LOL -
Jeep Gladiator Auto Stop/Start Stopped working. 1656555852352

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Wow I'm learning a lot in this thread. I know leaving a battery for a long time eventually drains it, but I had no idea you are expected to keep it up daily or whatnot. My aux battery crapped out a long time ago, the panel beeps once when I crank the engine and says Service Start/Stop System, don't really care to fix it. No clue what my battery percentage is on a typical day but this is only a leisure rig, it can easily sit in my driveway for a week or more without being turned on. Haven't had an issue with the main battery at all.
Sponsored