Sponsored

Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper)

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have the 3 buttons and use just one of them because I can't park one truck in 3 places at once LOL. So two buttons always sit unused.
It's a solution if it's cheaper.
I'd expect the power capability far exceeds the draw of LEDs in these backup lights.
Has anyone checked the idle draw of that device? I would wonder about that unit taking power in "standby mode" waiting to receive a button command. (I know what was said in that thread and it's not correct)
If it's waiting to get a command from a remote button, it MUST be drawing at least some power, just like a TV or any other remote controlled device. In other words, if you disconnect it from the battery it can't work because it MUST have power to LISTEN for a remote switch signal.
Maybe power it from an acc source to prevent draw while sitting.
Since my truck may sit a week, maybe even 2 or 3, at times, how much draw is there from this when it's in standby listening for a button signal? ANYTHING with remote capability uses power sitting and waiting for a button signal to arrive.
Is it a concern?

I'll have to look into the cost compared to the aux switches.
Simplicity is there for sure and there's plenty of places to connect to for power.
(but I won't mount on top of a battery as I have concerns about the atmosphere on the top of the battery. I'd likely move such a device at least a few inches away.)
The PL-SW29 is ~$35 on Amazon.
I’m ordering one, and I’ll measure the idle current and let you know.

Kevin
Sponsored

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
I'm in with option (B) with plug in wiring harness or aux harness

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The PL-SW29 is ~$35 on Amazon.
I’m ordering one, and I’ll measure the idle current and let you know.

Kevin
That's what, about 1/10th of the aux switch cost?
Yeah, the idle current draw can't be much at all, but still - there are times like this month when that truck may sit 3 weeks - no place to go, no reason to take a truck out, no appointments and stocked up on most groceries.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I have the 3 buttons and use just one of them because I can't park one truck in 3 places at once LOL. So two buttons always sit unused.
It's a solution if it's cheaper.
I'd expect the power capability far exceeds the draw of LEDs in these backup lights.
Has anyone checked the idle draw of that device? I would wonder about that unit taking power in "standby mode" waiting to receive a button command. (I know what was said in that thread and it's not correct)
If it's waiting to get a command from a remote button, it MUST be drawing at least some power, just like a TV or any other remote controlled device. In other words, if you disconnect it from the battery it can't work because it MUST have power to LISTEN for a remote switch signal.
Maybe power it from an acc source to prevent draw while sitting.
Since my truck may sit a week, maybe even 2 or 3, at times, how much draw is there from this when it's in standby listening for a button signal? ANYTHING with remote capability uses power sitting and waiting for a button signal to arrive.
Is it a concern?

I'll have to look into the cost compared to the aux switches.
Simplicity is there for sure and there's plenty of places to connect to for power.
(but I won't mount on top of a battery as I have concerns about the atmosphere on the top of the battery. I'd likely move such a device at least a few inches away.)
Maybe wire it only to get power when the accessory or ignition are on, and to power a relay that powers the LEDs, but now it's starting to get complicated.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe wire it only to get power when the accessory or ignition are on, and to power a relay that powers the LEDs, but now it's starting to get complicated.
It should easily handle the LEDs, my thing would be there's another item sitting drawing some from the battery....... so yes, I'd almost certainly wire into the acc feed.
Here's another reason to go ahead and do it that way -those buttons on the visor? ONLY active if you have the fob and ignition on! They do nothing with the thing turned off.
So unless you plan on using the supplied 4 button controller, if you plan on using the home link buttons, LOL - you have to have the ignition on anyway.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should easily handle the LEDs, my thing would be there's another item sitting drawing some from the battery....... so yes, I'd almost certainly wire into the acc feed.
Here's another reason to go ahead and do it that way -those buttons on the visor? ONLY active if you have the fob and ignition on! They do nothing with the thing turned off.
So unless you plan on using the supplied 4 button controller, if you plan on using the home link buttons, LOL - you have to have the ignition on anyway.
I'd thought of that, also.
Meh, it's ordered. I'll let you know. I can't imagine the idle current being more than about 100mA.

Kevin

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd thought of that, also.
Meh, it's ordered. I'll let you know. I can't imagine the idle current being more than about 100mA.

Kevin
Finally got one of the Pilot switches that works...
Connected to power, sitting idle, awaiting a command, the switch box draws less than 1mA, which surprised me.
Each relay draws ~40mA. All four relays switched on draws 150mA.

Kevin

Kaiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow 1969 J3000 Gladiator farm truck. 1969 J2000 Gladiator project.
Any updates on this project Oracle? Still Mid March release? Looking forward to getting on the discount list for one

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
Any updates on this project Oracle? Still Mid March release? Looking forward to getting on the discount list for one
Yes thanks for checking in :like:

We have the prototypes assembled and are working through our initial QC testing process. So far everything is great, will post more updates as we work through additional testing.

Here are some photos.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) jt_rev1
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) jt_rev2
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) jt_rev3
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) jt_rev4

EDIT: Remember these are prototypes, ignore the bad paint job, these are just for testing the final parts will look more finished and refined.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
If you are interested in purchasing please send your information to [email protected], we will compile a list of notifications once the product is ready with an ETA and available for pre purchase.

Sponsored

JTzntz

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator | 1993 Corrado SLC | 1992 GTI 16v
If you are interested in purchasing please send your information to [email protected], we will compile a list of notifications once the product is ready with an ETA and available for pre purchase.
Email sent. Thanks! Hopefully these will replace my homemade versions.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Email sent. If these are anything like their SideTrack Leds, they're going to be awesome.

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Have you finalized the integration into switches/backup lights yet? Will they be only switched, only back-up lights, or both?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
So......the question I have is, the flush mounted tail lights that you are working on will also have increased reverse lighting, perhaps not as much as we are talking with these but is there a big improvement expected with them also? As long as your taillights work with the blind spot sensor I’m not sure if I buy those or both......Jack
Sponsored