Sponsored

Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper)

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
But they are aux lighting, not reverse lighting. If you are plug and play disconnect the harness and go get reinspected.

Price is not the issue, nor do I think Oracle is at fault here. My Baja Squadron pillars were twice as much, and not a DOT stamp to be seen. The problem is they've been miscatagorized by your inspector.

16295691234804846262460820581755.jpg
Sponsored

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the bit that seems to cause the issue from the VA code on Permissible lighting 19VAC30-70-200. And "subsection A" just mentions a bunch of stuff that include the words "approved" which seems to mean it has to be DOT/SAE. I think the dealership is just being a bit of a pain in the a$$ and I really don't think I'll ever use them again if this is the way they handle things.

"C. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-P2 or P3), or do not comply with subsection A of this section;"

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section200/

They did ask if they could look the vehicle over and give me an estimate on value so I knew how much equity I had if I decided to sell to them. Maybe failing the inspection and making be bring it back was a ploy to get another crack at getting me to sell. I'll have them give me a number and then ask them to add $1000 as an inconvenience fee for this debacle. ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Back on something that was discussed earlier about these lights -
I finally decided the humidity was down, the temps back down a couple of degrees, time to install the improved/correct extension Oracle sent me. Glad to see it's only about a foot long and not 3 feet like the other......
I put the split loom on the extension, put some silicon connection lube on the connectors and put the extension into place. At the same time I totally re-did the tie straps I had back there holding things in place and had length to route the wires up higher and better and neater and removed some of the stress at the right light itself. Much much better.
I also re-routed the left light to go in next to where the right light wire did and put all excess up in the passage behind the left tail light. Aha - I had wanted to remove that anyway to confirm connector numbers.
I pulled the light out, and I UNPLUGGED the Oracle PnP harness, took pics of the connectors, and paid REALLY CLOSE ATTENTION to all connectors for shape, size, features like tabs and much more. I examined the original Jeep connectors back there and compared very closely to the Oracle connectors. I saw no difference.
I put them back together, paying really close attention to the force needed, the click sound and so on. As I pushed each together, I got the nice "click" and then another when I pushed the red lock into place. Click click. Nice fit.
Then I started looking up numbers - Yes, there was a slight difference in the numbers, but at least two sites that sell these say they are interchangeable. One and the same, so to speak.
33482-6201 / 33482-1201

That's how a British seller of these connectors listed them. The Jeep had one number, Oracle's connector was the other number - odd, they are the same thing according to at least two sources for these.
The only difference I saw were possible sheen of the black, one had some mention of "free hanging" vs some form of attachment.
Here's the heading from another site selling them -
12 way male Molex waterproof automotive connector 33482-6201 33482-1201

And another -

SpecificationCKK7121B-1.0-11
Original number33482-6201 33482-1201
Cross reference listHarley Davidson 72488-07BK

In the end, I could find no differences at all between the connectors that came with my truck and what Oracle used in their PnP harness. Just 6201 vs 1201 which several sites showed to be one and the same.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Here is the bit that seems to cause the issue from the VA code on Permissible lighting 19VAC30-70-200. And "subsection A" just mentions a bunch of stuff that include the words "approved" which seems to mean it has to be DOT/SAE. I think the dealership is just being a bit of a pain in the a$$ and I really don't think I'll ever use them again if this is the way they handle things.

1. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-P2 or P3), or do not comply with subsection A of this section;"

They did ask if they could look the vehicle over and give me an estimate on value so I knew how much equity I had if I decided to sell to them. Maybe failing the inspection and making be bring it back was a ploy to get another crack at getting me to sell. I'll have them give me a number and then ask them to add $1000 as an inconvenience fee for this debacle. ;)
Find a new guy!

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase

I’m calling BS. That section reads like it is meant to restrict the crazy “art car” colors and such. I think that page doesn’t even address reverse lights with a clear lense which we all know is acceptable.

I’d take my business elsewhere. These guys are stretching, either out of stupidity or to mess with you for some reason. I would not consider selling my vehicle to such ignorant or conniving jerks.

Good luck to you.

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Q on the lights; what would the eas way of setting them up to come on with the regular reverse lights and with an aux switch be?

Can I just add a hot line and force them and the trucks rev lights on? I’m thinking that might cause an issue w the trucks brain.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
@am1978 I think this is what I get for taking it to the dealership to get my "FREE" inspection.
Now we get to the root of the problem. I've heard other people complain that the dealer's "free" inspection will always turn up something that needs to be fixed.

One friend of mine was telling me they wanted to fail his 1yr old Ram for having surface rust on the brake rotors. Not where the pads wear; on the rest of it. When my friend pointed out if that was really a problem, then it was a warranty issue, they claimed it wasn't since rotors are a normal wear item. He then countered that wear wasn't an issue with rust, and if it's failing the state safety inspection for rust after one year, that's a manufacturing defect. They went back and forth and eventually they "compromised" and did the labor for free if he paid for the new rotors.

Now he skips the "FREE" inspection and pays the local guy $40 instead. It's cheaper that way.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Q on the lights; what would the eas way of setting them up to come on with the regular reverse lights and with an aux switch be?

Can I just add a hot line and force them and the trucks rev lights on? I’m thinking that might cause an issue w the trucks brain.
You'll need a diode to prevent power feeding back into the truck's system when you turn them on with an aux switch. someone has already laid that out. You could also use a relay that opened the circuit to the truck's backup light feed when you powered the reverse lights with the aux switch.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Now we get to the root of the problem. I've heard other people complain that the dealer's "free" inspection will always turn up something that needs to be fixed.

One friend of mine was telling me they wanted to fail his 1yr old Ram for having surface rust on the brake rotors. Not where the pads wear; on the rest of it. When my friend pointed out if that was really a problem, then it was a warranty issue, they claimed it wasn't since rotors are a normal wear item. He then countered that wear wasn't an issue with rust, and if it's failing the state safety inspection for rust after one year, that's a manufacturing defect. They went back and forth and eventually they "compromised" and did the labor for free if he paid for the new rotors.

Now he skips the "FREE" inspection and pays the local guy $40 instead. It's cheaper that way.
I should add here that this dealer failing an inspection for not having OEM/SAE reflectors might be crap in one more way. I sold my JL in MD to CarMax in June. I sold the aftermarket steel bumper on it—no reflectors. CarMax moved it across the Potomac to Fredericksburg, VA and sold it from there with that bumper still on it—no reflectors. VA is strict on inspections—annually and upon transfer/sale or something like that. MD only requires one at transfer/sale and when selling/trading to a dealer the onus is on them to fix anything. Doesn’t appear anyone rectified the lack of reflectors on my JL.

RAMCTFOLEY

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Did oracle just mail out this new harness or do you need to request it? I've had mine since the original group buy but never installed them because of all the issues.

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
Did oracle just mail out this new harness or do you need to request it? I've had mine since the original group buy but never installed them because of all the issues.
PM them and they’ll send you one if you ask.

Kannons610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m in the same boat. Haven’t fully installed it yet. I emailed oracle a few months back after people began discussing their problems. Their response was to reiterate the install instructions to me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the time, issues such as with the lights, look worse in a forum.......... mine installed fine, worked fine, the only issue was the short harness.
They sent me an extension on request. Mine are installed and work.

With the extension in hand, you can install these in minutes.

It would be interesting to quantify the reality of issues - get REAL numbers - how many installed them with no issues, how many installed them with only a short extension needed, and how many had them not work because of transposed wires in the connectors.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
I’m in the same boat. Haven’t fully installed it yet. I emailed oracle a few months back after people began discussing their problems. Their response was to reiterate the install instructions to me.
Please direct message me your info and we will be happy to send you an update harness.

-Missy

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I installed mine in early August. Yea, maybe a little longer wire would've been nice, but routing it though a hole higher up worked fine for me. Only real problem was the plug on the harness was tight, had to pull the taillight back off and fully seat the plug. Fine ever since! I'd buy 'em again!
Sponsored