Sponsored

Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper)

wrangler311

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
IDK if you got an answer about this (haven’t made it to the end of the thread yet). LEDs will usually flash when they don’t have a solid neutral - at least 120/277v lights do this. Check all the wires are making contact in your connector.
I did finally get them to work. Removed the LED bulbs I had in the rear, rewired the reverse lights and tested. They worked. Put the bulbs back in and tested all lights successfully. Harness was definitely a pain but working so far.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
Oracle is using the wrong connectors. You can confirm this yourself by looking at the model number on the factory harness. Jeep uses the new version of the molecule connector, Oracle when cheap and bought the discontinued version. I called Molex to confirm and got the info I needed that validated my suspicion.
Hello, thanks for the feedback. Do you have more details on this? We ordered the connectors directly from a Molex authorized dealer so not sure how we would have the wrong model but happy to look into this further. Can you PM us details on your conversation?

As for the accusation "Oracle went cheap" thats kind of silly, you may lack understanding of how pricing is calculated. We mark up % based on the BOM, if we were to choose the most expensive connector availble we would net higher $ on the sale. So your statement is a bit misguided and rather presumptive. JH

Update: Here is a video clearly showing the harness connecting to the factory plug on the vehicle and on the factory tail light with absolutely zero issues. This is how we test the connectors as part of our QC process. There is no reason the connectors should not connect this way unless you have aftermarket tail lights, trailer wiring harness or some other type of aftermarket setup.

Last edited:

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, thanks for the feedback. Do you have more details on this? We ordered the connectors directly from a Molex authorized dealer so not sure how we would have the wrong model but happy to look into this further. Can you PM us details on your conversation?

As for the accusation "Oracle went cheap" thats kind of silly, you may lack understanding of how pricing is calculated. We mark up % based on the BOM, if we were to choose the most expensive connector availble we would net higher $ on the sale. So your statement is a bit misguided and rather presumptive. -JH
JH - Thanks for rehashing my Accounting/Finance classes. But it's not misguided at all. What I read there was you went lookin for what was inexpensive to keep cost down and profits up. You're a company in the business to make money so I get it. But... when you're bean counting and double checking profits you're likely to miss something. Now look... costs for the initial run have gone up haven't they? I would have paid the net $1-$5 higher to have the proper molex plug and proper length cables. As a matter of fact if you took a poll I'd wager every person here would agree with that.

What peeves me off is it took me almost no research to figure out the problem with the connectors. I had to spend another $30 just to get 2 plugs sent to sanity check myself against the company that sent me the product. I don't understand how Oracle couldn't figure it out. Did someone actually confirm part numbers? Hell Oracle had a truck at Jeep Beach... how the heck did someone not pull a light and LOOK at the plugs? The model number is stamped on it.

I called two large, reputable online shops (Newark and Mouser) and both said they sold their stock of the old connector quite some time ago (I believe circa 2019).

For the Female plug, Oracle is currently using 33482-1201, which is obsolete.
The correct Female plug (as well as the correct male for sanity check) are below:

BUY THIS - Female Plug: 33482-6201 (this is the new plug, and what's used in our jeeps)
BUY THIS - Male Plug: 33472-1201

Yes, I have already bought one of each plug (as noted earlier) and can confirm the male/female plugs I purchased slide right in to the existing plugs on my Gladiator as they should.

I would LOVE if I get to be one of the first lucky recipients to receive the corrected harnesses please! PM if you need more details or clarification.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
The only thing is, a lot of our plugs slid together and worked just fine, including mine, which makes me think the supplier slipped in a few bad or leftover plugs. I'm not sure Oracle is to blame there, short of plugging in every one of them, which is unrealistic. May want to examine the choice of supplier, but I'm sure Oracle placed the order in good faith on those.

Being an inch short on the passenger side...I got nothing on that, Oracle admitted the error and is making that right.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing is, a lot of our plugs slid together and worked just fine, including mine, which makes me think the supplier slipped in a few bad or leftover plugs. I'm not sure Oracle is to blame there, short of plugging in every one of them, which is unrealistic. May want to examine the choice of supplier, but I'm sure Oracle placed the order in good faith on those.

Being an inch short on the passenger side...I got nothing on that, Oracle admitted the error and is making that right.
Mine went together, locked in place (a good tug by this OCD guy ensured that) and mine have worked fine since the day I put them in place.
So I dunno what happened- it's VERY possible that a supplier screwed up or tried to use old stock - whatever. A company that pays to have things manufactured has to trust - and that manufacturer has to trust the supplier and not look at every single part number on every piece.
Here's an example - I have a TSB that says certain engines made in a certain time period of a certain year may come in for valve train noise.
The fix - new push rods.
The problem?
Hundreds of push rods went into production that didn't have the ends heat treated/hardened.
Wow, that means more than one thing had to fall into place - not only the mistake or issue in production, but the push rods that were NOT treated would not that that distinctive colored (blue) ring an inch from the each end of the push rods.
I have book after book after book of boo-boos by car makers - something happened - supplier screwed up, engineer didn't count on something, a supplier changed things on them and so on.

If some (or maybe all? Really?) of those connectors are wrong - there are several places this could have happened, up to and including the seller of the parts on one end, the middle-man supplying those parts, down to someone goofed and ordered the wrong parts in the manufacturing process.
My father was a UAW member for years - worked in manufacturing for years - and the things I saw and heard back then............ and the things that those many books covering years of TSBs tells me that "shit happens" and it can be in many places that it happens.
Was it Oracle? I can't judge that from where I sit.............. are the parts incorrect? Apparently some, at least some, are.
Are mine? IF they are, I'm lucky as it went together, locked in place and just plain works.
Once I get the correct extension I'll be fine.
If I have problems with the tail light harness side of things, I'll get into my Mouser account and place an order.

I wonder - do the Oracle employees sit at benches and make these things right there at their headquarters........ what are the possibilities?

I'm not saying someone didn't mess up, not saying if someone did where they were or were not. Just that I can see a whole lot of ways this could have gone wrong, including inventory getting screwed up or mixed up. Someone restocked and gee, these are the same thing, or are a direct replacement, no problem, we'll send those out. Seen it happen.

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired

As for the accusation "Oracle went cheap" thats kind of silly, you may lack understanding of how pricing is calculated. We mark up % based on the BOM, if we were to choose the most expensive connector availble we would net higher $ on the sale. So your statement is a bit misguided and rather presumptive. JH

Update: Here is a video clearly showing the harness connecting to the factory plug on the vehicle and on the factory tail light with absolutely zero issues. This is how we test the connectors as part of our QC process. There is no reason the connectors should not connect this way unless you have aftermarket tail lights, trailer wiring harness or some other type of aftermarket setup.

My plug n play harness went right in, the PS wire length and 1st edition extension are another story. I have other Oracle lighting products that have installed per instruction and have performed flawless. Sad Oracle is going through this and the lasting effect it will have on the Oracle Brand. OK that said any update as to when the 2nd edition extension will be sent out?

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Well, I got the e-mail saying my stuff is on the way. We'll see how it all fits together when it gets here!

Ooops! On looking at the details it might be only the lights that are coming....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My plug n play harness went right in, the PS wire length and 1st edition extension are another story. I have other Oracle lighting products that have installed per instruction and have performed flawless. Sad Oracle is going through this and the lasting effect it will have on the Oracle Brand. OK that said any update as to when the 2nd edition extension will be sent out?
Mine fit and clicked and latched. Granted, I did have to push - but it went in and clicked and latched.
Looking at their video - you could see by his hand there was some effort, but not much different than the ignition connectors of Motorcraft of the 80s or the connectors I used from a 94 ZJ I parted and used wiring from. Some of those were so bad you had to use a lube on them to get them together.
Mine - other than still needing/wanting the revised and proper extension - still working and still loving them.

My takes on "cheap" - having been in electronics manufacturing business and other businesses as well - you don't pick a price point and then try to buy the parts to maximize the profit. You create the design, you test your parts, you prototype, etc. and you then price the parts needed to create the product. You add your cost of the parts to your R&D costs and come up with a price point.
I usually figure what my cost of the parts are when I make something, and double that and add to my cost to manufacture aside from the parts/materials. So if I spend 10 bucks for a part vs 15 bucks for a part, my price would be adjusted down for the cheaper part. I don't charge the same price regardless of my materials and parts costs.
If my price goes up, the cost to others goes up. If my supplier drops prices - then I drop my prices to others. I don't set a price and then try to buy cheaper parts to make more money. My cost to others, what I charge others, is based on what it costs me to make.
So in my estimation, if Oracle had been forced to pay 10 bucks more for xx part, the price of their final product would go up. They likely came up with their final price to us based on their costs, not pull a price out of the air and see how cheap they can then make it.
My father worked in manufacturing for decades and as one of the heads in QA - they didn't go shopping for cheaper parts once things were set in motion.
That's how I've seen things over the years.
I designed the computer systems for Compressor Control Corp's Series IV controllers. Once I had things set - needed components, boards, whatever, and found suppliers, the price of the product was set and we never looked for cheaper alternatives. We didn't tell the clients it was going to cost xxx and then look for cheaper ways to make it. We made it and then told what it was going to cost clients.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

What does that video prove, or help with? If you ask me all that does is alienate people like me, as if you're trying to place the blame back on me. Some folks have already said theirs snaps right in, so good for you for having a video of it. Some have echoed what I said and cannot get it in no matter what.

My Jeep is stock. It is a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with Diesel engine. stock tail lights, stock factory trailer harness and the tail light plugs have the p/n I specified earlier. The plug you are using is an obsolete plug that has been obsolete for over a year now. The plug p/n on Mopars website is the same plug p/n in my Jeep. The plugs I ordered fit perfectly. Clear as can be what the issue is. I would suggest doing 100% QC and confirm the harnesses going out the door have the proper p/n, perhaps you have a batch that came to you with both the old and new versions of the plug.

The other thing you could do is reach out to others on here that confirmed it plugged right in, and we can help determine the part number stamped on their plugs. It's possible jeep changed the plug at some point to the newer standard which means you just need to make two different harnesses.

On another note, can you give those of us needing a new harness an expected ETA?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing you could do is reach out to others on here that confirmed it plugged right in, and we can help determine the part number stamped on their plugs. It's possible jeep changed the plug at some point to the newer standard which means you just need to make two different harnesses.
That's an interesting thought and one I had myself. I can also relate because I've been going around and around with some who say that AMC used two different wiring harness and alternator models for 1970 - and yet no one can prove it. They point to the parts books - but those are written BEFORE manufacture and often not 100% at that.
So - something to look into - numbers on the connectors.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's an interesting thought and one I had myself. I can also relate because I've been going around and around with some who say that AMC used two different wiring harness and alternator models for 1970 - and yet no one can prove it. They point to the parts books - but those are written BEFORE manufacture and often not 100% at that.
So - something to look into - numbers on the connectors.
Ironically, I JUST received an email for a shipment notification on my harness! I will compare the numbers on the two separate plugs and hopefully I'll be able to report back that everything fits snuggly and proper!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just received notice, too - for the extension cable. (wiring harness extension) so it simply means I add the extension under the truck and re-tie my wiring in place and take the stress off the wires behind the tail lights.

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
What does that video prove, or help with? If you ask me all that does is alienate people like me, as if you're trying to place the blame back on me. Some folks have already said theirs snaps right in, so good for you for having a video of it. Some have echoed what I said and cannot get it in no matter what.

My Jeep is stock. It is a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with Diesel engine. stock tail lights, stock factory trailer harness and the tail light plugs have the p/n I specified earlier. The plug you are using is an obsolete plug that has been obsolete for over a year now. The plug p/n on Mopars website is the same plug p/n in my Jeep. The plugs I ordered fit perfectly. Clear as can be what the issue is. I would suggest doing 100% QC and confirm the harnesses going out the door have the proper p/n, perhaps you have a batch that came to you with both the old and new versions of the plug.

On another note, can you give those of us needing a new harness an expected ETA?
Kinda how I feel. Thinking about making my own video but it would be x rated for language!

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Mine fit and clicked and latched. Granted, I did have to push - but it went in and clicked and latched.
Looking at their video - you could see by his hand there was some effort, but not much different than the ignition connectors of Motorcraft of the 80s or the connectors I used from a 94 ZJ I parted and used wiring from. Some of those were so bad you had to use a lube on them to get them together.
Mine - other than still needing/wanting the revised and proper extension - still working and still loving them.

My takes on "cheap" - having been in electronics manufacturing business and other businesses as well - you don't pick a price point and then try to buy the parts to maximize the profit. You create the design, you test your parts, you prototype, etc. and you then price the parts needed to create the product. You add your cost of the parts to your R&D costs and come up with a price point.
I usually figure what my cost of the parts are when I make something, and double that and add to my cost to manufacture aside from the parts/materials. So if I spend 10 bucks for a part vs 15 bucks for a part, my price would be adjusted down for the cheaper part. I don't charge the same price regardless of my materials and parts costs.
If my price goes up, the cost to others goes up. If my supplier drops prices - then I drop my prices to others. I don't set a price and then try to buy cheaper parts to make more money. My cost to others, what I charge others, is based on what it costs me to make.
So in my estimation, if Oracle had been forced to pay 10 bucks more for xx part, the price of their final product would go up. They likely came up with their final price to us based on their costs, not pull a price out of the air and see how cheap they can then make it.
My father worked in manufacturing for decades and as one of the heads in QA - they didn't go shopping for cheaper parts once things were set in motion.
I designed the computer systems for Compressor Control Corp's Series IV controllers. Once I had things set - needed components, boards, whatever, and found suppliers, the price of the product was set and we never looked for cheaper alternatives. We didn't tell the clients it was going to cost xxx and then look for cheaper ways to make it. We made it and then told what it was going to cost clients.
As with your other replies/posts I totally agree. What I attempted to get across to Oracle, in a subtle way, is that it will do no good to debate the back up light issues with customers on this forum. Oracle did not have adequate QC for this product and are paying the price now. Oracle needs to assist in any way possible to get through and past this.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Man if you tried that in the logistics world you would be broke and out of business quickly.
Sponsored