Average Miles Between Regen

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
It does. I’m building myself a dashboard. Still work in progress. Testing readability on road etc. I just wish they were compatible with CarPlay now that would be wonderful.

189F3D11-62D3-46D0-9CEE-3E452D4940AE.png
Nice! I like that!

I like the boost gauge on the side. I’ve just begun to play with the dashboards

There are so many settings and configurations it’s overwhelming.
Sponsored

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
I noticed the other day when outside temps were 103 and I was pulling my 16' cargo trailer, that when EGT hit about 1100-1200 on the highway going up hills that my soot percent went down a percent or two. No regen notice, so at those temps the soot must burn off naturally?

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
13000 miles and I haven’t seen a Regen. That’s a good thing, no?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I haven't seen a regen ever. I got over 9,400 miles now.

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I have written about this extensively in other threads here (let me find some of them) ... I use the OBD Fusion app on my iPhone with a bluetooth OBDii scanner.

I’m right about 500 miles between passive regens.
The distance between regens is only for ACTIVE regens, Passive regens should happen almost every time the engine is fully warmed up and you're not in stop and go traffic.

Otherwise, if active, the instrument cluster notifies you. It will say something about keep driving at a speed above 45 miles Regen needed or your vehicle will not restart.
The ONLY time you would ever see this message is because an Active Regen was started and did not complete multiple times (most likely because you shut the engine off DURING an Active Regen on multiple occasions).

The only way to know that an Active Regen is happening (on the first try or second try) is with a gauge that can read the OBDii. See screenshots below during an Active Regen:

Jeep Gladiator Average Miles Between Regen 2021-03-04 10.38.30
Jeep Gladiator Average Miles Between Regen 2021-03-04 10.38.34

Iowafarm

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Chevy Camaro SS, HD Wideglide
Occupation
Farmer
Hopefully the regen and emission compliance features on these engines hold up well and work for a long time. B7t my experience with tier 4 engines lead me to believe they will eventually become a pain in the ass for diesel engine owners. I have 3 peterbilts, 4 tractors, 2 combines, a sprayer and a pay loader with their 4, and my experience is that the engines are well built but keeping the emission side running and not throwing codes is a nightmare. Especially when they get so e age on them. My favorite thing is working 14 hours in the field and when you are done for the nightyou get to sit in the tractor for 45 minutes or so so it can do a regen. There is a lot to love Bout the diesel engine but the their 4 part of it makes it a tough sell for me.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I haven't seen a regen ever. I got over 9,400 miles now.
You have had a passive regen. Which uses less fuel/def than a full on regen. Passive is in the background and seems to be done every 400-500 miles or every couple tanks.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
You have had a passive regen. Which uses less fuel/def than a full on regen. Passive is in the background and seems to be done every 400-500 miles or every couple tanks.
Passive regens occur most of the time the engine is fully warmed up and you're not in stop and go traffic once the DPF temperature hits a threshold. If you have a gauge connected to the OBDii you can see the Passive Regen happening frequently.

A Passive Regen reduces the soot level in very small increments depending on the type of driving and engine heat being produced. Typically the more heat being produced by the engine (consistent EGT's >700F) the hotter the DPF temp will be and therefore will Passively burn off soot.

When I road trip from Colorado to Texas (75mph speed limit most of the way) I typically see the soot level remain in the high 30% range. Soot levels build quickly when coming to a stop, idling, and city traffic that eventually builds towards an Active regen.

Sponsored

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Passive regens occur most of the time the engine is fully warmed up and you're not in stop and go traffic once the DPF temperature hits a threshold. If you have a gauge connected to the OBDii you can see the Passive Regen happening frequently.

A Passive Regen reduces the soot level in very small increments depending on the type of driving and engine heat being produced. Typically the more heat being produced by the engine (consistent EGT's >700F) the hotter the DPF temp will be and therefore will Passively burn off soot.

When I road trip from Colorado to Texas (75mph speed limit most of the way) I typically see the soot level remain in the high 30% range. Soot levels build quickly when coming to a stop, idling, and city traffic that eventually builds towards an Active regen.
My observation as well

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Just hooked up my MX+
I’m right about 500 miles between passive regens.

What are ya’ll?
You mean in between active regens.
Passive Regen - Happens when you are driving and soot is burnt incrementally in the DPF if is at a certain high temperature.

Active Regen - When soot level reaches 80% in the DPF, fuel is injected in the exhaust to actively burn the soot. In my experience, and experience of others who are monitoring through Scangauge or Banks, even if soot does not reach 80% but if 700+ miles are driven since the last active regen (or maybe it calculates through engine hours), an active regen is initiated.

Forced Regen - When active regens are interrupted quickly multiple times and soot level comes close to 90%+, a forced regen is required where you would need to have the dealership burn off the soot in the DPF. However the truck will give enough warnings/notifications before you reach that stage where a forced regen is required. It will display in the dashboard to continue driving till active regen is completed to avoid a forced regen.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Passive Regen - Happens when you are driving and soot is burnt incrementally in the DPF if is at a certain high temperature.

Active Regen - When soot level reaches 80% in the DPF, fuel is injected in the exhaust to actively burn the soot. In my experience, and experience of others who are monitoring through Scangauge or Banks, even if soot does not reach 80% but if 700+ miles are driven since the last active regen (or maybe it calculates through engine hours), an active regen is initiated.

Forced Regen - When active regens are interrupted quickly multiple times and soot level comes close to 90%+, a forced regen is required where you would need to have the dealership burn off the soot in the DPF. However the truck will give enough warnings/notifications before you reach that stage where a forced regen is required. It will display in the dashboard to continue driving till active regen is completed to avoid a forced regen.
This is exactly how mine behave too.

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver

This is what I’m seeing also. My commute to work and back is a short one, 7.6 miles so I’ve been tracking my regents since day one. MX+ and OBD Fusion for the first 2,300 miles until I got the Banks Derringer and iDash. I was seeing active regents about every 450 miles, after I installed the Derringer they went to over 800 miles between regens but even then the DPF never up to 80%, more like 50%. This would line up with there being both a soot level trigger and a miles/hrs trigger.

eeTwidget

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Jeep Gladiator Average Miles Between Regen BDEA7288-18DA-4D1D-9796-68BD02222901

I’ve noticed that passive regeneration triggers @ 80% soot. If temperatures are not high enough when passive regen starts, it will fail. I typically see about 800 miles or more between passive regen. That’s assuming I’m driving mostly highway. Because of the cold weather I tend to idle more, either remote start to warm up or killing time in the truck before work. Soot increases faster on idle.
I set an alarm on Regen to turn red when active, makes it easier to see. I also keep the count of completed vs attempted regeneration. Sitting around 50% with 6 cycles complete, 11 failed. Never have triggered an active regen though. && most of those regen were when my wife was driving, stop & go, short miles.
Sponsored