First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I have already installed a falcon adjustable steering stabilizer and I just ordered the Synergy Sector shaft brace. I'm hoping this combo will help...........seems it might be a toss up!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I have already installed a falcon adjustable steering stabilizer and I just ordered the Synergy Sector shaft brace. I'm hoping this combo will help...........seems it might be a toss up!
I did those mods.. Sadly it didn't get to the root of my problem. The steering box adjustment did.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
At the dealership one of the employees got in my face it almost went to a fist fight. Not sure I would let them touch my vehicle anymore. Going to do the steering box adjustment now that I'm not worried about a warranty covering it. I've adjusted other steering boxes before so thanks for sharing the how to because it helps go ahead and do it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Steering boxes are about $450 and not the hardest to install. I’ve just been waiting to see if the steering box solves the problem. When you think about it. $450 is the cost of the brace and stabilizer. I’d have bought the box if I was sure it would solve the problem. $450 is a lot especially in these times but cheap if it makes the Jeep normal

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Steering boxes are about $450 and not the hardest to install. I’ve just been waiting to see if the steering box solves the problem. When you think about it. $450 is the cost of the brace and stabilizer. I’d have bought the box if I was sure it would solve the problem. $450 is a lot especially in these times but cheap if it makes the Jeep normal
Sorry, Newbie here, may be a stupid question. Are you going to purchase a OEM steering Box and risk it working the same or are there other steering box manufacturers that will fit the JT?
I’m getting desperate, I can’t have an enjoyable jourbey to anywhere I’d like to take the JT!!
I’ve only had the JT 3.5 weeks LOVE everything BUT the horrific steering, it’s downright dangerous on the highway in any wind which I run into a lot being in SoCal and traveling on Mountain or valley paths, the wind whips around the mountains.
I’ve watched the video to fix sloppy steering (so amazing!) and it looks promising but I don’t know if I’m capable of the fix on my own, if I could buy a box and have it installed elsewhere that could be my fix!

Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Just ordered the Synergy track bar off northridge, will let you guys know how it works out. I have a rough country 2.5" lift, 35 in tires (20x10 rims). Rides like a drunken cowboy on a mule. Hoping this upgrade helps!

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Loose steering box fix
Try at your own risk

Adjusting the steering box note. A 5/32 hex key socket is to small and starts to damage the hex key hole but after that a 4mm Hex key socket was used and tapped in for a nice tight fit. You may be able to tap in a 4mm Hex key socket first try. I do believe the 5/32 hex key socket would have stripped the hex key hole if used to break it loose.
Try at your own risk
How To

Remove air tube from the throttle body to air box by loosening the two hose clamps, a snap on hose connected on air tube, two 10mm bolts and remove. Tap in 4mm hex key socket so you know it will go in and then remove. Next loosen the 15mm nut on the top of the steering box with a 15mm socket, long extension and ratchet.. Now heat the nut and hex key adjuster with a heat gun. A infrared thermometer was used to check how hot it was heated to and it was 135 degrees. Not sure how 135 degrees feels on your finger but I wouldn't touch it because it could burn you. Now put a boxed end 15mm wrench on the loose 15mm nut to keep the nut from spinning, tap the 4mm socket back in the hex hole with extension and ratchet and turn the hex bolt clockwise before it cools. Hex bolt turned easy because of heat applied to the nut and hex bolt because it has some type of locking adhesive on it. Hex bolt was advanced 1/8 turn clockwise and both the boxed end wrench and hex key socket is used to tighten them clockwise. Make sure the hex bolt stays advanced when tightening. Last thing is use the 15mm socket, extension and ratchet to do a final tightening of the 15mm nut and again making sure you still have the same amount of advance of the hex bolt. Last thing is to put the air tube back on. How much adjustment needed will be different from one vehicle to the next and steering wheel should still have a little right to left movement. After 9 months of dealing with the dealership giving the run around it feels great to have fixed a loose steering problem. It's a shame the dealership is not allowed to do such a simple adjustment. I'll try to add some pictures later.

My Jeep likes my money

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Loose steering box fix
Try at your own risk

Adjusting the steering box note. A 5/32 hex key socket is to small and starts to damage the hex key hole but after that a 4mm Hex key socket was used and tapped in for a nice tight fit. You may be able to tap in a 4mm Hex key socket first try. I do believe the 5/32 hex key socket would have stripped the hex key hole if used to break it loose.
Try at your own risk
How To

Remove air tube from the throttle body to air box by loosening the two hose clamps, a snap on hose connected on air tube, two 10mm bolts and remove. Tap in 4mm hex key socket so you know it will go in and then remove. Next loosen the 15mm nut on the top of the steering box with a 15mm socket, long extension and ratchet.. Now heat the nut and hex key adjuster with a heat gun. A infrared thermometer was used to check how hot it was heated to and it was 135 degrees. Not sure how 135 degrees feels on your finger but I wouldn't touch it because it could burn you. Now put a boxed end 15mm wrench on the loose 15mm nut to keep the nut from spinning, tap the 4mm socket back in the hex hole with extension and ratchet and turn the hex bolt clockwise before it cools. Hex bolt turned easy because of heat applied to the nut and hex bolt because it has some type of locking adhesive on it. Hex bolt was advanced 1/8 turn clockwise and both the boxed end wrench and hex key socket is used to tighten them clockwise. Make sure the hex bolt stays advanced when tightening. Last thing is use the 15mm socket, extension and ratchet to do a final tightening of the 15mm nut and again making sure you still have the same amount of advance of the hex bolt. Last thing is to put the air tube back on. How much adjustment needed will be different from one vehicle to the next and steering wheel should still have a little right to left movement. After 9 months of dealing with the dealership giving the run around it feels great to have fixed a loose steering problem. It's a shame the dealership is not allowed to do such a simple adjustment. I'll try to add some pictures later.

My Jeep likes my money
Glad you got it done. Good tips on this as well.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Glad you got it done. Good tips on this as well.
I've adjusted with very good success other steering boxes but being a new vehicle with less then 1000 miles I thought the dealership should make it good. After 9 months of knowing what the problem was and dealer not doing anything about it it was time. Thanks to your good info and the dealership making me very aggravated it helped me get it done.

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Loose steering box fix
Try at your own risk

Try at your own risk
How To

My Jeep likes my money
Thank you. You and Brfertig provided specific steps to make this adjustment. I saw some folks on the JL forum mention that they did this but over time (after 2K miles) the slop returned. I don't really understand how that is possible unless gears wore off as this is a setting that controls how two gears mesh together (loose or tight). Did they not do it enough or two tight? Did gears really wore off? Was software 'flushed' and added slop?

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Adjustment to mine worked wonders. Have instructions in my build thread. 1/2 turn worked on mine.

Have put on 12,000 miles since. About 14,000 so far total.

JCopeland40

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Tool & Die
I’ve had my new 2020 3 weeks now.
It’s honestly the worst steering I’ve even encountered on a vehicle in 40 yrs of driving.
I’ve made an appointment to get the dealer to look at it,but I’m guessing they won’t fix anything.
Just for reference,I have atleast 5 degrees if free play.
Sponsored