Sponsored

BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cproch32

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
List of Interested JT Owners:

1. BuiltRight
I am absolutely interested! I agree with what seems like everyone, side and front panels! I think having both mounting options makes sense especially for people who do not have/want the rail system. Anxious to see how this comes out.

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Interested, especially if a rack across the front of the bed is included also for $300. And use the rail system for install.
Awesome! I'll get the pricing as aggressive as possible, especially for the early folks. Not looking to get rich on any of this stuff, just make enough to pay the bills and continue tinkering!
This is awesome @BuiltRight !

Yes, please make these bed side storage to work both with and without the Jeep Trail Rail system. While many are getting the rails, I don't think the Sport/Sport-S guys can factory order the rails. And frankly I was too cheap to pay $995 to FCA for rails on my Rubicon...but I'd gladly pay $300 for your system!

Another part to consider is a bed side tire mount...a lot of guys are adding 37"+ tires and while some 37s fit underneath, they will be needing a solution. A bed tire mount could be a viable alternative.

For fuel carriers, I like the idea of Rotopax in the side locations as they are thin. But I already have a few military grade Sceptre (poly) tanks that I'd like to continue to use, so maybe some form of jerry can bracket?

Absolutely create a panel that goes across the front panel of the bed. This would be a good place to secure my Sceptre cans or a water supply tank.

Another area to think about...storage system for the rear seat (folded down or removed) and rear window (hard top) area. Many of us may not always use the rear seat (or all of the rear seat), so a system to organize stuff inside would be nice (not Hi-Lifts and axes...more Molle bag type gear).

And one last suggestion...and I know we are chatting about a canvas canopy framework in another thread. But since your bed rack is in the first photo and you clearly have the ability to make that too...if you were to study the Jeep Easter Wayout concept bed rack and replicate that as close as possible, I bet you'd sell every single one of those racks you could make! I'd have a hard time choosing between a canvas canopy and Wayout rack. But I'd likely do the rack as I can attach a rooftop tent to it. I'd be willing to sign-up for beta testing on that one! :)
Love all of this! I was also too cheap to add the rails to my build, but I did just buy them on their own last week. I think they were $360 or so. I'll try to install them today and post in my build thread. Regarding the interior storage, I'm cooking up something that I think you'll like. Again - build thread this week.
Count me in! I'm very interested in a product like this, even though I won't be getting a JT until sometime next year.

1. I can see both use cases as being marketable, as not everyone will have the trail rail. Having both mounting options and several sizes of panels would be ideal.
  2. MaxTrax, ammo cans, 5 gal buckets, flashlights (thinking D cell Maglites), cargo tie downs, fishing rod holder
  3. Absolutely! Great place to store a 4 gal Rotopax, high lift, or an axe.
  4. Perhaps you could come up with something that makes use of the space outside the bed behind the rear fenders for mounting rotopax, like the wayout concept but not set into the body:
Awesome! It's clear that the kit should accomodate with and without the trail rail. Over the weekend I had a thought of how I can cleverly do that, so I'll model that this week sometime and see how it looks. I like the idea of exterior storage. I think a couple others mention it as well. Will do some
I'm in. I like your ideas.

For me I need to install a hard shell topper at some point as I have dogs that need to be protected and I prefer the weather protection of a full hard shell. However, having a rack system such as yours that can be installed inside the shell and hooked to the trail rail system would be very helpful, I need to carry shovel, axe, Hi-lift, rotopax, maxtrax. extinguisher, etc. and placing these on the racks is far better than loose in the bed. I am still planning to get a decked bed system so i would need to ensure that these racks did not extend below that level (12.1 inches from the bed). Also, adding a rack across the top but still under the shell would add to the options available.
I like where you're headed with this regarding compatibility with a cap. As far as the decked system, I think that would need to be a different variation, but it's a request that I get commonly on the Ford trucks stuff, so maybe it's time.
I'm in. I like the height being such that the tent is at roof height - better for gas mileage. Rotopax, fire extinguisher, Powertank, shovel where you have it is fine. Maybe Maxtrax (or the cheaper X-Bull) could be mounted on the underside of the tent and attach to the rack there?

As for the trail rail - I think using it is important. Saves drilling and such. Also, you can make a thing that goes across the front of the bed and attaches to that rail. When you have the roof top tent and rack there, I don't know what else you'd be able to use the rail system for if it wasn't for the side mounted organizers. I guess Maxtrax could mount to the front area. Make sure the outlet is accessible. I know I plan on using it not only for a fridge, but for other low power accessories.

Edit: I thought I'd add that the only competition from my purchase is the Leitner sytem that allows for storage containers on the rack (although it does shove the tent above the roof line). I know your post isn't so much about the rack than the bed storage, but as I build my overland rig, a place to sleep is kind of important, so a bed rack is a high priority for me.
Sounds great. As far as the drilling and stuff, I'm definitely super against requiring permanent vehicle modification unless absolutely necessary, so you can generally count on us for simple/non-invasive installation. As for the bed rack, mounting stuff under it is super easy. I was actually out this weekend hunting down some more t-slot hardware so that I could mount my traction boards and a pelican case underneath it just like you described.

As far as the Leitner system, it's super badass. Truthfully, I wouldn't even consider making my own except that I just want something that's lower. If they made a lo-rise version, I'd be all over it.
@BuiltRight

Similar to the Wayout's rack system, you might consider making a fuel storage solution that fits into the bed body. It's basically a shallow box with a modest width lip around the perimeter that could be bolted or riveted to the truck bedside with a steel brace on the underside. This would support the weight of the fuel and return rigidity to the bed section that was cut out. I'd be willing to bet a lot of guys would cut the hole into the bed to mount such a fuel storage system. After all we have people hacking up JT's to lift, Hellcat swap, and convert into ExtraCabs...the fuel can cutout is minor in comparison.

Your CNC setup is giving me all kinds of ideas!
Haha, love it! I don't know if I've got the guts to start cutting into mine, but I'll definitely get under there and see how much work it would require, just to satisfy my own curiosity.
count me in.

1. Some will have trail rail, some wont.
  2. everything thats already been said,
  3. yes another panel in front too

Woah, that's cool. Your video said you're from MN, your profile says CT? What gives?
Sounds great! Yes, video was made in MN when I lived there. Just recently moved to CT to be close to family now that we've got a little one!
Very interested... but unsure.
Unsure is ok! I'll add you to the list to ensure you get more info when available, but zero pressure!
Swiss army truck.
:LOL:
Completely in on this! Just what i was searching online for. This coupled with the Leitner Rack will be incredible.
Awesome! Yes, the two together will provide a ton of storage without totally killing the usefulness of the bed.
very interested
:rock:
Yes, Yes, and Yes! Count me in too!

Some thoughts ...

1. While I would use a mounting system for the trail rail as that is what I have, I would have it designed to be installed without to meet the needs of the gladiator as a whole. (I am curious what the ratio is for with/without the trail rail system)
  2. I would absolutely use it for the Hi-lift, the rotopax, shovel, and maybe a CO2 Air tank for airing up after a day on the trail.
  3. Not sure if you should have a panel across the front, but the Overland crowd may want it.
All sounds perfect. The front would definitely be an optional add-on type thing, since it's clear that some could use it and some wouldn't. I know a lot of people want the full depth of the bed unchanged. Got you added!
No this G-Wagen is similar to the Swiss Army's truck. And they hang their fuel cans right off the side of the bed just under the missile launcher.

gwagon.jpg
Haha, that's amazing.
@BuiltRight

Sign me up too. All 3 panels (left /right / front sides).
:like:
I am absolutely interested! I agree with what seems like everyone, side and front panels! I think having both mounting options makes sense especially for people who do not have/want the rail system. Anxious to see how this comes out.
Excellent!

I'm super excited to have all of this feedback (of course, keep it coming) and the best part is that it seems like everybody is thinking in the same general direction, so I think we've got something here. I'll get this trail rail system installed on my truck this week and make some more panels to test fit with that. Same with the bed rack too, I think. As a part of that effort, I'll definitely find a way for folks without the trail rail system to still make use of the kit.

Love this community!

Matt

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
@BuiltRight thanks!

Do you think you can exactly replicate the Wayoutā€™s entire cargo rack too? I'm referring to the rack that holds the rooftop tent. Even if itā€™s in a weld together kit form?

Sponsored

Gtlamans

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

1. BuiltRight
2. Stoney15
3. 2020 SCRAMBLER
4. TheITGuy
5. G8R
6. Pion
7. steffen707
8. JeepDreams
9. Mjolnir
10. quetscoatl
11. ScaleRCCrawler
12. Cproch32
Put me down for a set, as a matter of fact I have my Jeep Gladiator launch edition that you can use to display your product at SEMA. But I am definitely looking for a way to mount my gear.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

1. BuiltRight
2. Stoney15
3. 2020 SCRAMBLER
4. TheITGuy
5. G8R
6. Pion
7. steffen707
8. JeepDreams
9. Mjolnir
10. quetscoatl
11. ScaleRCCrawler
12. Cproch32
2 things, 1 I'm not a JT owner YET, 2, how did I get bumped to 7th place?....... Jk

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
@BuiltRight thanks!

Do you think you can exactly replicate the Wayoutā€™s entire cargo rack too? I'm referring to the rack that holds the rooftop tent. Even if itā€™s in a weld together kit form?
Could I? Certainly. The issue is that I can see that it's quite a complex manufacturing challenge as far as bed racks do and shipping would be a logistical challenge. That's not to say that it can't be done, but it wouldn't be inexpensive (for me anyway).
Put me down for a set, as a matter of fact I have my Jeep Gladiator launch edition that you can use to display your product at SEMA. But I am definitely looking for a way to mount my gear.
Awesome! I'll keep that in mind. Saw your PM and will respond here in a bit!
2 things, 1 I'm not a JT owner YET, 2, how did I get bumped to 7th place?....... Jk
I simply add in the order that hands are raised!
I would be interested in this, especially to mount my CO2 tank and jack.
Excellent! We have a lot of customers mounting their Powertanks and Pro Eagle jacks to our Raptor panels with no issue. I'll do a bit more testing and analysis on the JT racks to make sure they can handle the same load (not so much the panels, but the underlying mounting methods), as those are both relatively heavy items.

image_abf3e42c-0836-4a1b-8632-aed150d9a8b6.png

Matt

kenszel

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Definitely interested.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I'm in too. Put me down.

I'm agreeing with a lot that has already been said. I've got trall rail, but some don't - and I do like the idea of something on the front of the bed, and something even over the wheel wells. I'd love for that to be usable space.

The initial things I know I will mount to this are a power tank close to the tailgate, as high as possible. Probably sideways with the valve facing out - and a fire extinguisher on the other side, also sideways as high as possible. This way I can have a bed slide go in and out. The power tank is probably going to be in the way, but I'll figure that out.

I'm willing to beta test on the Trail Rail :angel:
Danbury is a quick drive for me...

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Looks good, what does a set of them weigh?

What material are you planning to use for production pieces?

Is the grid properly spaced for MOLLE attachments?

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
Iā€™m definitely in for these. I saw your F150 video a while back and was really hoping youā€™d be making these for the Gladiator.

Iā€™m waiting for the diesel, so itā€™s going to be a bit for me.

Iā€™m also interested in a shorter version to work with the Decked boxes. Iā€™m still undecided whether Iā€™m going to get them, or make something else, but having the option would be nice. Theyā€™d only allow 4-5ā€ between the top of the bed and the top of the decked, but I think itā€™d be super useful still. Iā€™m in for a full sized set either way because decked boxes would be a little ways down my mod list for sure.

Someone else mentioned doing some interior panels. I agree that could be cool, but Iā€™ll be using all 5 seats, so Iā€™m not sure where Iā€™d want them.

Thank you for putting this together!

Rupicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 JKU Moab
Occupation
VP of Finance
So I made a set of these for my own truck recently and posted in my build thread. I got enough interest via reply and PM that I thought I should start this thread separately, to discuss bringing these to market and hopefully get some feedback from the community regarding features and such.

Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest? {filename}

Introduction:

First, a little background. I originally

1. BuiltRight
2. Stoney15
3. 2020 SCRAMBLER
4. TheITGuy
5. G8R
6. Pion
7. steffen707
8. JeepDreams
9. Mjolnir
10. quetscoatl
11. ScaleRCCrawler
12. Cproch32
13. Gtlamans
14. Heathsrow
Count me in! Just tell me where to send the money!!!

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
If it will work with Molle attachments and look close to the Wayout concept I am in as well.

@BuiltRight - Please bump me to #7 and push @steffen707 out of that spot below since he feels undeserved to be #7. Thanks! :CWL:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.