Buyer's Remorse

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don't think I understand, are you saying that if you hadn't bought the Jeep you would otherwise be spending the money to support your friends family?
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
First thing: please don't hate on me or beat me up. This is tough enough as it is...

I ordered a beautiful Red JT back in early May. Almost all the bells and whistles. Manual transmission. Seriously my dream truck.

Joined you all on the ordering roller coaster... yet as time passed, I began to think I shouldn't get this thing. But I ordered a custom plate and began to order small stuff like seat covers, etc. Excitement waxing and waning...

Then my best friend dies - leaving her family without their bread winner - and me feeling lost and alone. (Sorry to talk about feelings on a Jeep forum.) And feeling really uncomfortable spending this kind of money on a toy.

It finally came in. I agonized. And then I bought it as planned.

But, people, it is sitting in my garage. 36 miles on it. Got it 2 months ago? It brings me no joy. I feel guilty having it. I don't really want to drive it. I feel like a fool for spending all that money.

Serious buyer's remorse.

Has anyone felt this way?
Another way to go at this, you are having some depression, what are the things that bring you joy. For me it is sailing, photography and getting out in the garden. If you got the Gladiator because you like 4 wheeling or roughing it in the wilderness, you should get it out of the garage and enjoy it, find a group of like minded lovers of what ever it is that you love and stop sitting at home doubting your decisions. We only have so many days on this earth to enjoy it, don't waste them.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I hope you really feel better, but as many have said be it survivor's guilt or buyer's remorse you have to understand that the JT is just a "thing/toy" and if you can afford it you shouldn't feel guilty about it, but definitely don't just garage it - take it out to all those wonderful places in Cali like Joshua Tree, Big Bear, Tahoe, Death Valley and enjoy it - maybe even take your best friend's family on short trips and make memories. As many have echoed, life is too short and you really shouldn't worry about materialistic things as they are just tools to bring you happiness in various forms. I don't want to sound callous and like an accountant but if you sell it now you will most probably have to sell it at a loss, which is not really necessary if you can afford it, as you would be wasting money. I have been through depression as well more via breakups and losing my brother a few years ago, and sometimes no matter what anyone says or tries to help it doesn't register because we have to allow others and the activities around us to help us as well and be willing and ready to accept help which is very hard until time passes. But, please stay active and take the JT out so that you can enjoy nature and the simple things in life. Make a schedule, plan, get active and get to work on the schedule - I guarantee you that you will feel much better. Always remember that this too shall pass (Even though it might not feel like it at this moment) and you will only come out stronger! *hugs*

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
First thing: please don't hate on me or beat me up. This is tough enough as it is...

I ordered a beautiful Red JT back in early May. Almost all the bells and whistles. Manual transmission. Seriously my dream truck.

Joined you all on the ordering roller coaster... yet as time passed, I began to think I shouldn't get this thing. But I ordered a custom plate and began to order small stuff like seat covers, etc. Excitement waxing and waning...

Then my best friend dies - leaving her family without their bread winner - and me feeling lost and alone. (Sorry to talk about feelings on a Jeep forum.) And feeling really uncomfortable spending this kind of money on a toy.

But, people, it is sitting in my garage. 36 miles on it. Got it 2 months ago? It brings me no joy. I feel guilty having it. I don't really want to drive it. I feel like a fool for spending all that money.

Serious buyer's remorse.

No...but dude, you need to get your money's worth. Drive the wheels off it. I don't feel buyer's remorse because I use mine every day, tow with it, haul stuff to the dump with it, take the family camping in it etc.

I would have huge buyer's remorse if I spent all that money just to look at in the garage.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
I echo a lot of the sentiments expressed above. I can’t really add any extra ordinary advice to make you feel any better.
Only that you are a dear friend to her family.
They know you. It’s alright. Take your time.
This Jeep is just a machine. An expression of ourselves and what we do and like.
Park it. Use it when you want.
Grieving comes in many forms. You are experiencing one of them.
Wish you all the best, again take your time. Hey, maybe one day you can take all the doors off this toy and treat one of your best friends family members to a beautiful ride and discuss you and your friends amazing relationship.
Be strong.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Take your friends family out for a scenic hike or adventure in the JT. I am sure they would appreciate the companionship.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal

Serious buyer's remorse.

Use it to help other people.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Life is short and sometimes life stinks. The key is to power through the stinky parts.

Take a short time to grieve then get back to making yourself and the ones in your life that you love happy.

If your not sure that your new Gladiator is a good tool to help make life happier sell it. Jeeps have great resale and it may not coast you as much as you think to walk away from it.

Look back at why you wanted it to start with. Did you really give it a chance at 32 miles? Rip the top and doors off and fill it full of loved ones and see if your Gladiator makes life happy happy happy.

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Very sorry to hear about your friend and a heart felt condolences to her family..

You stated you were having doubts about buying the JT before your friend passed, but you didn't really say why..

Sounds like the passing of your friend just intensified your concerns and doubts, and I'm sure some other feelings..

A lot of good comments from others on the Forum, so I don't have more to add, but I will say do what you "feel" is right.

Many have gone through similar situations, and in time it will work out...

It's not hurting the JT to sit for awhile while you work through things...

Sounds like your friend "has" a great friend..

Best wishes for all...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I do not say this to be mean, but it sounds like you need some mental health counseling. If what you wrote reads in chronological order, you started having guilt about the purchase even before your friend died. Comes off as a person that has guilt in being happy and that sound like depression issues. Seek professional help would be my advice and not on the internet from random strangers.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Suck it up Dude! Get in that Jeep; go find some place 5 miles deep in the woods where you’re all alone, and let him/her go! You will both be better for it!
P.S. Sorry for your loss.
Sponsored