Sponsored

Calculate towing capacity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56855
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 56855

Is there a way to calculate towing capacity after regearing?

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland originally came with max tow package, automatic transmission, 3.73 gear ratio. The Gladiator now has 4.56 gear ratio, more rigid higher performance suspension, new rear wheel bearings. How do I know what the new maximum towing capacity is?

I'm guessing it's around 7,000lbs similar to a Rubicon with 4.10 gears, automatic transmission and max tow package. I don't want to really get anywhere close to the maximum, but it's good to know.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to calculate towing capacity after regearing?

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland originally came with max tow package, automatic transmission, 3.73 gear ratio. The Gladiator now has 4.56 gear ratio, more rigid higher performance suspension, new rear wheel bearings. How do I know what the new maximum towing capacity is?

I'm guessing it's around 7,650lbs similar to a Sport S with 4.10 gears, automatic transmission and max tow package. I don't want to really get anywhere close to the maximum, but it's good to know.
It is what it is. The rest of the truck hasn't changed.
You have the same bearings, same transmission, same engine and the same narrow axles under it. You still need to watch the 6,000 pound limit.
The Overland isn't exactly made to tow great weights, and it's not just about gear ratio. If it was, anyone with a truck could go to lower gear ratios and increase towing capacity. It just doesn't work that way.
The forces remain the same, the center of gravity is still the same.
Your so-called "more rigid higher performance suspension" may actually be a step backwards.
And no- NO Overland ever comes with the max tow package. Not possible.
It has A tow package, but not max tow. That's Sport only.
If you get caught exceeding that 6,000 pound limit when involved in an accident, you could be subject to civil actions. There's not a law on the books per se, but I've been told directly by a Lt with the Iowa Highway Patrol that lack of a law doesn't mean you can't be liable.
Man, I've had my Overland pretty well maxed out and there's no way in hell I'd go over the 6,000 pounds.

There just is no formula or calculation - mostly because you can't do that, but there's also no simple way to figure any of it. Every part of the truck is a variable. You may think you've gotten some better parts on it - but the changes may actually be a step backwards in some way - like suspension and steering changes. Even Jeep must run these through their paces - and certain ISO testing.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
He's right. Your tow package is listed as Trailer-Tow Package not Max Tow. It's $895

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

Yes, that is right. I looked at the sticker again and it is listed as Trailer-Tow Package. Man, why did they make two different packages? Typical.

It seemed like the gear ratio was part of the equation for towing, no? I wasn't assuming it was everything in the calculation, but part of it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

I guess I just don't get why the Overland is limited to 6000. The sticker for the Overland shows everything in the max tow except the anti-spin differential. Is that really the difference between 6500-7650 pounds max tow?

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I guess I just don't get why the Overland is limited to 6000. The sticker for the Overland shows everything in the max tow except the anti-spin differential. Is that really the difference between 6500-7650 pounds max tow?
Max Tow also has wider axles, 4.10 gearing vs the 3.73 it would come with normally - and some other odd and ends.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

I see. The different axle could make a difference.

RJ McAuliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Construction
Gear ratio only matters for accelerating from 0 mph in a manner that the drive-train parts will allow. Axle width matters more as the additional tow capacity will affect the vehicle's ability to track and control what's being towed.

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
The gladiator isn't a tow pig. You can safely tow a car, small camper, etc. 6,000 lb is more than enough for that, if you're concerned you may need more then a vehicle change may be in order.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The axles are narrower by 1.5" total width (and wide matters for stability)
The tires and wheels of the Sport max tow are smaller and lighter as well. That means better braking, and less weight to spin up, etc.
When you increase tire size, you also diminish capacity. There's a fair difference in the tires and wheels between Overland and Sport max tow.
RJ (and others) beat me to some of this.
Gearing is for fast take-offs. It only matters on your time slip.
HP is the amount of work done in a given time and you can't change that with gears.
You can make it take off faster, but not tow better.
You make up part of the gearing difference with tires unless you scale down to the tires that max tow comes with and I doubt you really want to do that.

Frankly, if you need to tow over 6,000 pounds you absolutely bought the wrong rig. Get a RAM.
Yes, that is right. I looked at the sticker again and it is listed as Trailer-Tow Package. Man, why did they make two different packages? Typical.

It seemed like the gear ratio was part of the equation for towing, no? I wasn't assuming it was everything in the calculation, but part of it.
No offense, but apparently you didn't do your home works or made some bad/faulty assumptions.
It's like every other truck made - there are tow packages, then there are trucks that are equipped from the word go, from the factory, to tow MORE than their other trucks.
You are also looking at the tow packages wrong - max tow isn't just a package per se - it's a whole design.
Not sure what you mean by "typical". It's spelled out very clearly in all of the marketing papers and web sites. Read the fine print.
Sorry, but if you bought this thinking hey, it's a Gladiator, I can add parts and get there, you really missed the point.
Welcome to truck world or for that matter, car world.This is pretty much how it's always been, across all makes and models.
I went in buying the Overland with eyes wide open and traded for a lighter trailer and thought my way through it.
I reduced trailer weight by a good 500 pounds. The wheels on my new trailer are aluminum. It sits a little lower. Of course my wife suggested the trailer trade when i told her the Overland wouldn't tow as much as the Sport max tow - "so go get a lighter trailer". I'd better take care of that woman.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

Yeah, I never want to tow anywhere near the maximum. Just figured if I changed out basically everything about the Overland to make it more similar to a Rubicon I'd get a little bump in tow capacity.

Does anyone read anymore?

I said in the first post: "I don't want to really get anywhere close to the maximum, but it's good to know." I wasn't going in with the assumption swapping out parts suddenly means I can tow more.

It frankly isn't spelled out. Jeep mixes in marketing decisions with a product offering like any other automobile manufacturer. Part of the max tow package includes all-terrain tires "for a better grip", for instance. It's hard to differentiate what actually improves tow capacity between the models.

You are right, it's a system and parts can have a positive or negative influence on what you can tow. I was wondering if there's a way to figure that out.

If you have to start a sentence with "no offense" you might be a creep. Good luck with those women. Maybe start by not thinking everyone is a moron.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You can add or upgrade components to increase the towing capacity, like swapping in springs from a Max Tow model. Any changes that increase weight, or raise the center of gravity, will reduce towing capacity. Other factors that affect it are the cooling system. If the truck is ordered with a tow package, it gets an upgraded fan and alternator.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56855

I thought 2020 Rubicons came with a 2” lift and with the automatic transmission Jeep gives them a 1000lb max towing increase over the Overland. Make it make sense. This is what I meant earlier with the marketing. It seems like some of the numbers come down to marketing.

I hear you, I plan to stick under the 6000lb rating.

The Overland has the tow package which seems to come with some of the same parts of the max tow package but not everything. Maybe if I get anywhere close to 6000lb adding a way to cool the transmission would be beneficial.