Can I tow this?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I wasn’t talking about their pick up trucks. Sorry. I meant their moving trucks or vans or whatever.
Speaking of which, you should try their cargo van tow rating. The last one I rented was sweet. It was a 2021 loaded GMC with the 6.6l V8 in it. It would do stupid burnouts. I had to try once. I let off because I felt bad and didn’t want to roast the tires off of it.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I towed a yard and a half of concrete premixed with a 93 GMC S15 blazer 4 door. About 20 miles. Not saying it was right but it took it ok. 4.3 V6 195 HP. Tow it slow and go. Load the tongue correctly.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wow, what a bunch of wusses.

Let me give you some advice:

- The UHaul "auto transport" trailers are terrible. They're nearly too short for a pickup truck, they have excessive tongue weight, and they do not allow you to back the vehicle onto the trailer to even out the tongue weight by their rules. I would strongly suggest borrowing a real car trailer.

- UHaul won't rent to you unless you have a hard top on your truck.

- The Gladiator is a 1/2 ton truck. Not just by payload or tow rating, but also by the very stamp on the Certificate of Origin. If a Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 will tow it, the Jeep Gladiator will tow it.

I would pull that truck on a trailer anywhere in America. If I were closer to you, I'd let you borrow my 24' enclosed car hauler.

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
As others have posted, likely enough over your capacity to simply not be safe. I'd be more concerned with brakes than power. I've pulled 7K with no trailer brakes (but a 2500 series truck) and it was noticeable.

Rent a pickup from Home Depot or some other Big Box home improvement store, and rent a trailer from Uhaul. Just be sure the truck has a hitch (they normally only rent trucks w/ hitches if you also rent something that needs towed).

Or, well, SURELY you have seen an episode of "Road Kill".

Sponsored

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Just my 2 cents.... I don't think you will find anyone that will say "go for it; you'll have zero issues" or something to that effect, but I have seen a JT pulling a car on an u-haul trailer down an interstate. They weren't running 70 by any means, but it works. I'd be more concerned of what @ElDirector mentioned, brakes. With no brake controller that makes it more riskier. Probably can still be done, but again you assume all the risk. Someone pulls in front of you and you can't stop...well you get the picture. If you have to buy a brake controller, I think it would be cheaper to just pay a tow bill.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
How much to rent a truck and trailer vs just paying a tow company?

Doesn't make much sense to me if you have to rent both a truck and trailer. Just have a tow company do it and sit at home drinking beer while you wait for your truck to arrive.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
pull the rear f150 truck tires, go to the local tire shop have them mount the cheapest tires they have for the rear, get a tow dolly, load the f150, pull it with the JT, taking it slow, stay off the highway, give yourself large buffers of space between cars and stops and move on. It's a one off thing, be smart and conservative. Stop and check things in the first 5 miles and then again at 30 miles.

It looks like a general roller of a truck, so a full trailer shouldn't be needed and a dolly should work.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
. I'd be more concerned with brakes than power.
Just my 2 cents.... I don't think you will find anyone that will say "go for it; you'll have zero issues" or something to that effect, but I have seen a JT pulling a car on an u-haul trailer down an interstate. They weren't running 70 by any means, but it works. I'd be more concerned of what @ElDirector mentioned, brakes. With no brake controller that makes it more riskier. Probably can still be done, but again you assume all the risk. Someone pulls in front of you and you can't stop...well you get the picture. If you have to buy a brake controller, I think it would be cheaper to just pay a tow bill.

The UHaul Auto Transport trailers have brakes on them. Brakes won't be an issue, and neither will pulling power or handling. I've used the UHaul trailer to tow a couple of heavy V8 cars on 160 mile round trip. Not an issue at all.

The only thing I don't like is that they set their trailers up with excessive tongue weight. They do this for safety, oddly enough. But it makes a 1/2 ton truck sag pretty bad if you don't have airbags or overloads like the Timbren SES kit or something. Still, it works fine.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Get it shipped by flat bed trailer. 60 miles should be affordable.

Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
The UHaul Auto Transport trailers have brakes on them. Brakes won't be an issue, and neither will pulling power or handling. I've used the UHaul trailer to tow a couple of heavy V8 cars on 160 mile round trip. Not an issue at all.
Exactly. The U-Haul trailer has surge brakes. They don't need a brake controller in your truck.
You can read online the pros and cons of surge vs. electric brakes on a trailer.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Its 60 miles....go slow (55 or less) leave lots of room and tow away. Its not like if you tow at 6001 pounds the jeep explodes and the wheels fall off. What a lot of people forget is that the tow rating was determined in a grueling test designed to push all aspects of towing (high temp, high incline, high speed) and it was 6000 pounds before it failed in those conditions. I wouldnt make a habit of towing this thing, but for one time? I'd not be concerned.

With that said: *fire suit on as this is always an unpopular opinion on a truck forum*

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Rent a F250 flatbed pickup truck from Home Depot at $19/hour and use that as tow vehicle.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are interested in whether this is workable on a practical level. The answer is yes.
Back when I was young and dumb, I used to tow my friends 10,000 lb boat with his 1/2 ton Chevy van.

It was ugly. But we never had problems over many years.

This isn't even close to that. You will be over weight. But stick to back roads and keep the speeds down and you will be fine.

BUT!!!

Why bother? Get yourself a AAA Plus membership for about $130. Wait a couple of weeks after you get the membership and call them to have it towed to your house.

I had a '66 Impala that sat in my garage for 15 years while I was busy flying airplanes and having kids. Two years ago I decided I wanted to get it running. I got the engine running myself, but the suspension and tires were a disaster.

I had AAA tow it about 35 miles to the shop that was going to get it going. No problem.
Sponsored