Can we talk JT Normal Tow?

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
That is the Heavy Duty Dana 44’s with 4:10 gears. Let’s get this right now. The early 2020’s didn’t have LSD, but with Jeep traction control really no need for LSD. For me not having LSD is a plus as I will be adding ARB lockers.

The mass confusion that is happening with the Max Tow is caused by the changes Jeep made on the 2021 models. You have more available group packages now that are sweet additions to the Max Tow on the Sport S, like the preferred package , LED package, the upgrade for stereo and the diesel option.

The Main point IMOP for the Max Tow are the stronger, wider Dana 44’s with the 4:10 gears. This lends to more power available to tow and the wider axles Give the JT more stability when towing.
The 3.73s are also noted as Heavy Duty D44s. I have seen no evidence the extra wide heavy duty D44s are any more "heavy duty". Now if your going to show me alone counts are greater or something, I'd believe you. Otherwise you have the same axels with different gearing that are 3/4" wider (from what I remember).
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
The 3.73s are also noted as Heavy Duty D44s. I have seen no evidence the extra wide heavy duty D44s are any more "heavy duty". Now if your going to show me alone counts are greater or something, I'd believe you. Otherwise you have the same axels with different gearing that are 3/4" wider (from what I remember).
What I’ve read on a few media sites is the HD44 is the same for all gladiators.
The only difference is the “wide” version which is just that, wider. Increases track width and makes things a bit more stable towing.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
In 2020 the Max Tow the window sticker said HD Dana 44. On the standard Sport non Max Tow the sticker said Dana 44. All JT’s have stronger Dana 44’s than the JL except the Rubicon and the Diesel JL. Who knows if spline counts are different between standard D44 on the basic sport and sport s vs the Rubicon and Max Tow splines. Looks like all tube wall diameters are the same.

They are 1.5”es wider with 4:10’s. Sounds to me like you should have checked the Max Tow box on your order... you seem to have “Max Tow” envy. 😁

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
No, I was stating ALL the options the Max Tow comes with, and I forgot to add that they also have LED side marker lights and Daytime Running lights with two piece fenders unlike the base sport with black fenders.

Maybe get that chip off of your shoulder and move along.
You specifically said "These are the differences between Max and No Max" not "these are the options that come on a Max Tow." So don't back track just because you got called out on providing incorrect information. What you said, and what you provided is not correct.

I have no chip on my shoulder, I just don't see the point in informing people on a forum with incorrect information. It took me 3 minutes to pull up the actual correct information.

Just do better next time and get the right information and word what your providing correctly.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, it's not worth getting worked up over. It's just an internet forum.

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
In 2020 the Max Tow the window sticker said HD Dana 44. On the standard Sport non Max Tow the sticker said Dana 44. All JT’s have stronger Dana 44’s than the JL except the Rubicon and the Diesel JL. Who knows if spline counts are different between standard D44 on the basic sport and sport s vs the Rubicon and Max Tow splines. Looks like all tube wall diameters are the same.

They are 1.5”es wider with 4:10’s. Sounds to me like you should have checked the Max Tow box on your order... you seem to have “Max Tow” envy. 😁
There must be a typo on my window sticker:
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? Screenshot_20210420-112433

I've got no envy or qualms about my JT, except those silver bezels on the bumper, but that's a plastidip project for another day. ✌

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
This thread really got far asunder from it's origin, huh?
The bottom line is that sure, max tow is a step up from regular tow but probably not as much as the marketing makes it out to be. The engine and tranny choices can change your towing rating by just as much and the trucks payload limit regardless of tow package impacts tounge weight and thus limits trailer weight.
Also, by all accounts around here the truck is a very capable hauler but not really the best choice for high weights and large wind loads over long distances.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I think what the dealer was saying, is the OP’s Sport S did not have the trailer brake controller, needed to tow trailers over 4,500 lbs. That said, most stares require trailer brakes and a TV controller on any trailer that weighs 3,500 or greater.

With a trailer weighing 4500 lbs or more, you should use a WDH setup also, for max safet, and trailer control.
cheers

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lol this is a great subject. I have done all the research possible my 2020 Sport S has the factory tow package. It has EVERY OPTION that the MACKS TOE Has except for a 4.10 rear end and wide axels. With My 12.50 x 35 tires I would not any wider axels. As far as the 4.10 it would be nice but with the motor only turning 200 RPM slower with 373s who cares. I don’t know why my jt came with all theMacks Toe options except for the 4.10 gearing. I love the way it is and I would not change the gearing it’s great on the freeway

Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? F9381B48-8AB5-4EA9-9E37-31FC87EBCED8

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Which is heavier, a ton of anvils or a ton of feathers?

Just being funny.
It depends, are you dropping them on your foot?
Sponsored