First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
We have a walkaround E-W and like it with a window above the headboard and a screen door at our feet. Crossbreeze is so nice. Haven't seen that floorplan in newer trailers, nor 2 doors on a short 26' TT, but our old Fleetwood works well for us.

I for-sure understand about the N-S bed. I hate the E-W one I have now. It’s a PITA. My two biggest requirements are a 12v fridge and a dry bath. Any trailer I buy has to have those.
Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
When you look at the boat & trailer, you can see that the trailer wheels are under the heaviest section of the boat which in this case the motor, transmission fuel tanks etc. are to the rear. Add to that the distance of the trailer wheels to the hitch are back far and add to the stabilization of the tow. Another thing that helps is a long wheel base vehicle. I've had a number of ski boats over the years and they where set up similar except single axil, none of them came with trailer brakes. I always pulled with a full sized pickup and never had any problems.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Are there any others out there who have the NORMAL tow package and do any towing? What are your experiences?
TL;DR: keep the trailer small and light. This is a 3.6L motor in a light duty truck.

--

I tow a 16 ft, 3,500 lb (dry/unloaded) travel trailer with the 3.6L non-max tow, manual transmission Rubi JT. It's good, not great. Terrain is mostly flat and the distance is only about 200 miles a year (drop it at camp for a few months, bring it back home). I would have no problem towing this longer distances, more frequently, if that was the situation. But again, it's good, not great. I've towed the same load with a 3.8L JKR and it that was certainly worse. I've towed the same load with a 5.7L Ram 1500 and it was no problem at all. But that's apples/oranges thing.

From what I hear the auto transmission will probably tow better than the manual.

In my experience I think 6,000 lb unloaded is a tall order for the 3.6L Pentastar, with or without Max Tow package, and the ads when the JT came out showing it happily towing a very long and heavy Airstream were somewhat misleading. I don't think Max Tow does anything for torque - it's still the same motor, same tuning (correct me if I'm wrong). Wider axles/stance will give greater stability but it doesn't change hp/tq.

Keep in mind the dry weight of the trailer isn't the target. Must consider the total weight. That's trailer, plus essentials, plus driver/passenger(s) (typ. 150 lb each), plus weight distributing hitch (mine is 70 lb!), plus gear stored in the truck, etc. All of these reduce your towing capacity, I would assume by the sum of those weights. Traveling light is a good plan but in reality how light do we really travel?

If you want your JT to be the tow vehicle and not have to buy a separate TV, I'd encourage you to make some sacrifices on the trailer (smaller, lighter). A loaded trailer that can be tugged with the JT might make for a more enjoyable road trip / camping experience than an unloaded one where you get to the site and now have to go out and load your water, make a trip to get your food, etc.

Also keep in mind a 28 ft trailer is a costly purchase, and once it's done, it's done. If you hook it up to the JT and find it's just not the right combination, that would be Not Good.

Regardless of what you end up with, a properly set up weight distributing hitch is a must, and I'd even put that ahead of a brake controller.

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
TL;DR: keep the trailer small and light. This is a 3.6L motor in a light duty truck.

--

I tow a 16 ft, 3,500 lb (dry/unloaded) travel trailer with the 3.6L non-max tow, manual transmission Rubi JT. It's good, not great. Terrain is mostly flat and the distance is only about 200 miles a year (drop it at camp for a few months, bring it back home). I would have no problem towing this longer distances, more frequently, if that was the situation. But again, it's good, not great. I've towed the same load with a 3.8L JKR and it that was certainly worse. I've towed the same load with a 5.7L Ram 1500 and it was no problem at all. But that's apples/oranges thing.

From what I hear the auto transmission will probably tow better than the manual.

In my experience I think 6,000 lb unloaded is a tall order for the 3.6L Pentastar, with or without Max Tow package, and the ads when the JT came out showing it happily towing a very long and heavy Airstream were somewhat misleading. I don't think Max Tow does anything for torque - it's still the same motor, same tuning (correct me if I'm wrong). Wider axles/stance will give greater stability but it doesn't change hp/tq.

Keep in mind the dry weight of the trailer isn't the target. Must consider the total weight. That's trailer, plus essentials, plus driver/passenger(s) (typ. 150 lb each), plus weight distributing hitch (mine is 70 lb!), plus gear stored in the truck, etc. All of these reduce your towing capacity, I would assume by the sum of those weights. Traveling light is a good plan but in reality how light do we really travel?

If you want your JT to be the tow vehicle and not have to buy a separate TV, I'd encourage you to make some sacrifices on the trailer (smaller, lighter). A loaded trailer that can be tugged with the JT might make for a more enjoyable road trip / camping experience than an unloaded one where you get to the site and now have to go out and load your water, make a trip to get your food, etc.

Also keep in mind a 28 ft trailer is a costly purchase, and once it's done, it's done. If you hook it up to the JT and find it's just not the right combination, that would be Not Good.

Regardless of what you end up with, a properly set up weight distributing hitch is a must, and I'd even put that ahead of a brake controller.
Thanks, the response is appreciated - I agree with you on several things. One is that I believe my auto trans will help, and also that 6,000 dry is more than I would ask a truck this size to pull regardless of the package. I'm keeping my choices limited to <4,800 dry and <480 tongue, and I can only feel comfortable with that because we won't be filling up with water (just enough to flush a few times and wash hands during the trip). I actually have a lot of towing experience with everything from a pop up to a 32 ft with 3 slides pulled by a Ford E350 van. I understand how trailers work with the weights, WDH, brakes, and everything else that goes along with it. I'm not going to exceed any weights and I have the right equipment to tow according to mfg limits and the law. I figure that if I fit all the pieces together correctly under the limits then I SHOULD have both what I want in a trailer AND a decent towing experience.

I don't want a bigger tow vehicle because the whole point this go 'round is traveling with the JT. I don't do motor homes towing a vehicle. I've got family and friends who do that and they spend more time fixing something than traveling. No thanks.

My point in this thread isn't so much to find out how to keep within the posted weight limits, though I'll appreciate new helpful info. It's more to ask those of you who DO tow within the limits how the truck feels while your'e towing. My truck, and I assume most JT's, are going to find their limit more with tongue weight rather than the over-hyped towing capacity. My towing capacity is 6,000 lbs, but I can only carry 1,100 lbs of payload including passengers and the 600 lbs limit on the hitch. It's hard to find a trailer with a UVW of more than 4,500 lbs that has a tongue weight less than 600 lbs. And 600 lbs is too much on the hitch if you've got a few people in the TV and gear.

So anyway, back to my question - Assuming I've found a trailer that I can load up and pass my weights with flying colors on a CAT scale, then will it perform okay? How much will wind and semi's passing affect a 28 ft as opposed to a 21 ft? I know what I see in general and what everybody who wants to sell something says in their promotional pieces, but I was just hoping some folks here might have some real life experience in their JT's with different rig set-ups.

(Edited for clarity and to correct a typo)

Last edited:

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
It appears you know quite a bit about towing and just want to know how any of us feel about our decision to get a Gladiator. It is obvious that in the back of your mine you don't think the 3.6L engine is the best choice. I believe that @wanajeep has given you his honest assessment and I respect it.

I was worried when I ordered mine about whether or not to get the MaxTow, I'm only towing 2500#.
It was in 2019 and there was no one for me to ask except the salesman.

Well I got the MaxTow and I'm glad I did. Starting off in first gear with the 4.10 rear end makes it wonderful to get up to speed in traffic or from stopped at traffic light and facing an uphill run. I get 16-17 MPG cruzing at 60MPH. I like small vehicles and trailers.

The JT can tow, its totally your choice and I think you'll make a wise one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It appears you know quite a bit about towing and just want to know how any of us feel about our decision to get a Gladiator. It is obvious that in the back of your mine you don't think the 3.6L engine is the best choice. I believe that @wanajeep has given you his honest assessment and I respect it.

I was worried when I ordered mine about whether or not to get the MaxTow, I'm only towing 2500#.
It was in 2019 and there was no one for me to ask except the salesman.

Well I got the MaxTow and I'm glad I did. Starting off in first gear with the 4.10 rear end makes it wonderful to get up to speed in traffic or from stopped at traffic light and facing an uphill run. I get 16-17 MPG cruzing at 60MPH. I like small vehicles and trailers.

The JT can tow, its totally your choice and I think you'll make a wise one.
I actually think my 6 cyl with automatic trans should do everything I want it to just fine with the regular towing package. The regular towing package is totally capable and respectable. I won't be maxing out any limits anyway.

My purpose here was just to hear others' towing experiences so far - especially those with regular towing packages. Thanks for sharing yours.

Now that you mention it, my concern isn't my 3.6 engine or auto transmission, and not even my weight limits. What I'm wondering about most is how a truck this size and shape reacts, given the proper towing equipment, to wind against the side of the trailer. I mean natural wind or from passing of large trucks, and with trailers of differing lengths. The JT is not the most wind resistant vehicle on the road anyway, so with its light rear end I wonder what to expect. I may look at shorter length trailers if others are experiencing scary wind instability with longer ones. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

By the way, I may have overreacted in my earlier post. I just didn't want this to become a pile-on with experts educating me on how to tow. :)
Anyway I'm sincerely sorry if I came across offensive to wannajeep, you, or anyone else.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't take any offense of what you said.

With 480# tongue weight I wouldn't think the rear end would be lite. As far as the wind from passing vehicles is relevant to actual conditions and you'll feel them but won't throw you off the road. Just think of those little smart cars on the freeway!

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't take any offense of what you said.

With 480# tongue weight I wouldn't think the rear end would be lite. As far as the wind from passing vehicles is relevant to actual conditions and you'll feel them but won't throw you off the road. Just think of those little smart cars on the freeway!
Okay good point - I guess I really am overthinking this. They publish all those different weight numbers for a reason, so I'll trust them :) .

After internet researching myself into analysis paralysis, I actually went to our local Camping World yesterday and looked at some floorplans in person. There are several ranging from 21' to 29' that give me what I want with weights that I can manage compliantly. I was surprised that I could go that long and still realistically maintain the GVWR, tongue, and payload weights I'll need. Obviously the shorter lengths give me some more flexibility for loading, but they all had similar tongue weights in the mid 400's, which is going to be the truck's biggest weakness given the payload limits.

And I'm glad I didn't offend. When you mentioned wannajeep's response I went back and re-read it, along with my long response to it. I thought what I posted came across a bit more defensive than I had intended.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
Last fall we ordered a a Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19CSK. 3,400 pound trailer (23’ including the trailer tounge). Our Jeep dealer installed the MOPAR trailer brake controller. The RV dealer installed the Equalizer weight distribution/sway control hitch and set it up for us. Mid January towed it home dry 600+miles at 60 to 65 mph with no control problems. Gas powered Overland with a tow package. Loaded we will still be well within the towing capacity of the Jeep.
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 275272C9-F9FE-456C-BF17-1EB6BC13A672

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Your getting a lot of good advice, I'm downsizing from a Suburban tow vehicle and tow several trailers, one being a single axle HD 5,500 lb landscape trailer, 20' Boston whaler, (4,500 lbs.) and an old tandem axle 1995 Prowler 19' camper 3400 pounds 8' wide. The camper was bought cheap and in great condtion to go to Kayak fishing tourenaments. We travel seven hours from Pa. to Salem, Mass for one tourenament, a lot of hills some pretty long, Suburban knew the camper was there and milage drops to about 13 mpg. My buddy tows a 14' hybrid with a Honda Ridgeline on same trip, he makes all the hills I do but is making 8.5 MPG. That is my cocern the V-6 engine pulling the weight, I think the gladiator is long enough and heavy enough that you won't have wind issues or sway issues with a WDH, and TANDEM trailer up to what you are talking about.
It's only my wife and I now and kids have there own campers so we are looking at getting a newer camper. her requirements are two door larger refrig, dry bath, and would like a u shaped rear dinette, mine are tandem axles, no slide, seven foot wide (tow mirrors around the eight foot are not great), and less weight then we have now.
Camper that mets everything is the Minnie Winnie micro 1706FB at 2900 lbs., tandem axles, and seven foot wide, but no rear dinette. I was under impressed towing my small Deere 4100 on landscape trailer, jeep was working , milage dropped pretty good, but it did it and I have a Mojave with 4.10 gears, with same 6,000 tow as you do........Saving 500-750 pounds of tow weight is noticeable and also how far and often you tow. Either way you are asking the questions before buying camper ,I have no doubt you will be fine.......Jack

Sponsored

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your getting a lot of good advice, I'm downsizing from a Suburban tow vehicle and tow several trailers, one being a single axle HD 5,500 lb landscape trailer, 20' Boston whaler, (4,500 lbs.) and an old tandem axle 1995 Prowler 19' camper 3400 pounds 8' wide. The camper was bought cheap and in great condtion to go to Kayak fishing tourenaments. We travel seven hours from Pa. to Salem, Mass for one tourenament, a lot of hills some pretty long, Suburban knew the camper was there and milage drops to about 13 mpg. My buddy tows a 14' hybrid with a Honda Ridgeline on same trip, he makes all the hills I do but is making 8.5 MPG. That is my cocern the V-6 engine pulling the weight, I think the gladiator is long enough and heavy enough that you won't have wind issues or sway issues with a WDH, and TANDEM trailer up to what you are talking about.
It's only my wife and I now and kids have there own campers so we are looking at getting a newer camper. her requirements are two door larger refrig, dry bath, and would like a u shaped rear dinette, mine are tandem axles, no slide, seven foot wide (tow mirrors around the eight foot are not great), and less weight then we have now.
Camper that mets everything is the Minnie Winnie micro 1706FB at 2900 lbs., tandem axles, and seven foot wide, but no rear dinette. I was under impressed towing my small Deere 4100 on landscape trailer, jeep was working , milage dropped pretty good, but it did it and I have a Mojave with 4.10 gears, with same 6,000 tow as you do........Saving 500-750 pounds of tow weight is noticeable and also how far and often you tow. Either way you are asking the questions before buying camper ,I have no doubt you will be fine.......Jack
Great info there - thanks. It's just my wife and me as well. I looked at that Minnie before online and I love the tandem axels on a trailer that size, but one thing we both definitely want is a north south walk-around queen bed. One that can be separated in some way from the rest of the living space because she sleeps much later than I do, and I wanna be able to get up and make coffee, read, etc., while she sleeps.

I also want a decent bathroom because I detest using bath houses, and a 3 burner cooktop with a real oven. Those things sort of limit my choices with th weight limits I have, but in a way that'll make it easier to choose.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Last fall we ordered a a Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser 19CSK. 3,400 pound trailer (23’ including the trailer tounge). Our Jeep dealer installed the MOPAR trailer brake controller. The RV dealer installed the Equalizer weight distribution/sway control hitch and set it up for us. Mid January towed it home dry 600+miles at 60 to 65 mph with no control problems. Gas powered Overland with a tow package. Loaded we will still be well within the towing capacity of the Jeep.
That’s a great looking trailer!

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Just bought a 3452lb Jayco Jayflight184bs Baja. This was helpful, thank you.

bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, '18 JLU
I tow my 5000 lb boat with my Mojave and it does just fine. It's not going to win any races, but it gets us where we are going! Take your time and accept that you're hanging out in the right lane. Way less stressful that way!
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 1614020054028

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take your time and accept that you're hanging out in the right lane. Way less stressful that way!
Jeep Gladiator Can we talk JT Normal Tow? 1614020054028
Ha! That's the way I drive even when I'm not towing. :)
Besides, I like being in my JT so taking a little longer is not a bad thing.
Sponsored