Sponsored

Ceramic Coating

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Apex Detail is another great YouTube channel.
Sponsored

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
Jeep Gladiator Ceramic Coating 15351115-7015-426B-A7D0-70D1E63D4A03

Thoroughly pleased with this stuff! It turned out incredible. I had used Chemical Brothers and wasn’t very happy with it. Just a couple of sprays per panel and at $15.99 it will last a while.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Ive coated my last 3 cars including my jeep and my brothers jeep. I use cq quartz. I find the application to be fairly easy and forgiving. I put it on all painted and glass surfaces...Even the glass in my shower. I never have any buildup on the shower glass. I rarely have to wash the jeep because dirt just doesn't stick to it. I use it on my wheels and motorcycle also...love the stuff.

If you know how to do paint correction...Not just buffing to make shiny but actual paint correction, then ceramic coatings are worth it just for the time saving they provide down the line.
I actually measure the thickness of my clear coat before I start polishing and then begin the process with the correct grit and buffing pad. When done well, your car will look better than when she left the factory but, when done wrong.....

As far as paying $1000 + for it, I'm not so sure. Its main benefit is for aesthetics and ease of cleaning, won't protect at all from chips or dents. Assuming you own the car at least 4 years...there is an acceptable amount of paint wear/tear on a 4+ yr old car. When you go to sell (especially trade) no one is going to give a S@#t about $1000 ceramic coating or even notice it was done after 4 years. Ive never heard of anyone spending another $1k after 4-5yr to reapply.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know two people that have had their Vette's redone after a few years.

I suppose if you plan on keeping the vehicle it's worth every penny. If you plan on trading in 3 years, well, probably not for you. Unless you enjoy being able to easily clean it.

I use ceramics for both reasons.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Anyone with any experience or feedback on ceramic coating. There is a place by me that comes highly recommended but man they ain't cheap. The 5 Year coating is $600 and they want to do a detailing and paint deal before the coating which they want to charge $400 for.

Not sure if its worth it or just use the stuff like Chemical guys or others sell for ceramic wax finish.

My truck sits outside in the Brutal South Texas Heat as well as the friking oak tree which likes to drop its sap and crap on the truck.

So just checking since its a good bit of money which I could do other stuff to the truck.
I did it as well as paint protection film on the front leading surfaces and its well worth it!
Coating increases the surface hardness of your paint by 5 times. You cant coat it without the paint being ready. Once coated you trap all of the paint's problems forever. That is why they want to clay it, then polish it before coating it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Have been using ceramic coatings for a few years. It's on my boat, truck, jeep and travel trailer. I use DPC shield.

I am going to try Adam's Graphene on the JT when it arrives.

To the OP, the reason they want to do a paint correction is for a couple reasons. The paint needs to be free of any other coatings. The paint needs to be completely decontaminated. The paint needs to be exfoliated of any oxidized clear coat. Even a vehicle straight off the delivery truck has embedded contaminants.

$1000 for a 5 year coating isn't a bad deal.

Or you can do it yourself. Strip wash, clay bar, iron remover, d/a polish, surface prep IPA, coating.
I agree - 800-1000 is the going rate here, start to finish and the interior looks fantastic when done as they detail the whole shootin' match.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So I built quote using their system and is $1500 for 5 year ceramic coating with single stage paint correction and windshield coating. To get the top they offer which is 10 year coating, Supreme color/paint correction and windshield is $3000

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Labor rate is the big cost, so location dependent. This is the biggest cost for this detailing. Reputation of the business is also a factor.

A single stage paint correction is needed prior to the ceramic coating application, and using a quality product is key for multiple year protection.

I've done detailing in the past, but it sucks up a lot of time, time that I don't have these days. I ended up farming out the work to a local trusted shop to get my Mojave have some ppf and ceramic coating applied - I'm an OCD guy and I really need to trust the shop that I leave my vehicle with, knowing that they care about my Jeep and that it's under safe lock and key at night is important to me. So I probably paid more than I should to get it done. I do live somewhere where the labor rate is higher, and I just don't have the personal time these days, or honestly do I have the physical stamina to do it due to my health. I had the painted surfaces, windows and wheels done. So anyway it varies greatly for all of us.

Ultimately I'm happy to have my new vehicle protected, the atmosphere here in Central Texas is brutal, I like to protect my Jeep and also have easier cleanup when I wash it.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
My friends that have it love it, I just can't pull the trigger. For the price I can have a lifetime of clay, wax, polishing compound, whatever. It's just hard to separate the cash from my pocket for this when I know eventually...

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
So I built quote using their system and is $1500 for 5 year ceramic coating with single stage paint correction and windshield coating. To get the top they offer which is 10 year coating, Supreme color/paint correction and windshield is $3000
That is about what I paid but cannot fully remember. I drove off the lot straight to the detailer to have vehicle ceramic coated. The windshield is done and the nose and grill have clear vinyl and ceramic on top to prevent rock chips.

Personally, I think the investment is worth it and the biggest thing you will notice other than your vehicle looking clean all of the time is when you wash it. Dirt, grime doesn't seem to stick to the surface and washed off with little to no effort. My wheels are done also and the breaks dust comes right off without additional chemicals.

Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
As said above, its the labor that costs the most. The car has to look perfect before applying the ceramic...Off the show room floor is NOT perfect. This means every car will need polishing to some degree. Clay bar is great. Removes lots of dirt (and some clear coat!). The reason I love ceramic is it essentially negates the need for clay bar after. Just makes keeping the car clean a lot easier.

For me, application is a 2 day process on a new car. 1 day for cleaning and polishing and 1 for ceramic application. Besides checking the thickness of clear coat, I examine under UV and tangential lighting to help find scratches and swirls. Before I apply ceramic, the polish must be perfect and the car must look amazing without the ceramic. Some cars come with paint defects like orange peel effect from the factory...very easy to miss under show room lighting but super obvious in other conditions.

since I know paint correction, its an easy $800 to $1000 savings.

I stand by my statement above, you are not going to see any dollar return on ceramic. Used Jeeps sell quickly and the average person buying a used jeep expects some degree of paint wear/tear on a used vehicle. The difference in resale value of your jeep with "flawless" ceramic paint and jeep with paint in good, expected condition for its age, is negligible.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea
As said above, its the labor that costs the most. The car has to look perfect before applying the ceramic...Off the show room floor is NOT perfect. This means every car will need polishing to some degree. Clay bar is great. Removes lots of dirt (and some clear coat!). The reason I love ceramic is it essentially negates the need for clay bar after. Just makes keeping the car clean a lot easier.

For me, application is a 2 day process on a new car. 1 day for cleaning and polishing and 1 for ceramic application. Besides checking the thickness of clear coat, I examine under UV and tangential lighting to help find scratches and swirls. Before I apply ceramic, the polish must be perfect and the car must look amazing without the ceramic. Some cars come with paint defects like orange peel effect from the factory...very easy to miss under show room lighting but super obvious in other conditions.

since I know paint correction, its an easy $800 to $1000 savings.

I stand by my statement above, you are not going to see any dollar return on ceramic. Used Jeeps sell quickly and the average person buying a used jeep expects some degree of paint wear/tear on a used vehicle. The difference in resale value of your jeep with "flawless" ceramic paint and jeep with paint in good, expected condition for its age, is negligible.
Yea not looking of dollar return on it just correction and protection. You can't see them unless you look good but the paint has water spots on them. I have washed and waxed the truck a few times and they still don't come out. I don't know if it came from the dealership like this or if its just from sitting in my driveway through a few rainstorms and then mother nature cooking south texas with 115 degree heat. My trucks sit outside and take abuse from heat and tree crap as well as the salt when I am down on the coast. I've been watching some videos on buffing and polishing and I have the time on the weekend so thinking I may tackle it myself. I know I won't be perfect like the high dollar stuff.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also part of the cost of shop floor space. A good shop will keep your vehicle until the coating is cured. Typically 24 hours. That involves keeping it inside.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also part of the cost of shop floor space. A good shop will keep your vehicle until the coating is cured. Typically 24 hours. That involves keeping it inside.
Yep I got mother in laws big garage to do the work in and let it set now that she just has one car in the garage. If it wasn't for that wouldn't tackle it since I don't have space in mine

CWGrisw0ld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Rubicon JKU, 2020 Jeep Rubicon JT
Labor rate is the big cost, so location dependent. This is the biggest cost for this detailing. Reputation of the business is also a factor.

A single stage paint correction is needed prior to the ceramic coating application, and using a quality product is key for multiple year protection.

I've done detailing in the past, but it sucks up a lot of time, time that I don't have these days. I ended up farming out the work to a local trusted shop to get my Mojave have some ppf and ceramic coating applied - I'm an OCD guy and I really need to trust the shop that I leave my vehicle with, knowing that they care about my Jeep and that it's under safe lock and key at night is important to me. So I probably paid more than I should to get it done. I do live somewhere where the labor rate is higher, and I just don't have the personal time these days, or honestly do I have the physical stamina to do it due to my health. I had the painted surfaces, windows and wheels done. So anyway it varies greatly for all of us.

Ultimately I'm happy to have my new vehicle protected, the atmosphere here in Central Texas is brutal, I like to protect my Jeep and also have easier cleanup when I wash it.
Who did you use?
Sponsored