borikr

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Hey Gladiator family,

Please don't kick me if this was discussed a million times already. I tried searching but could not find a clear answer to my specific question.

Just got a new 2023 Mojave with the Pentastar. This is my first Jeep in general and I cannot believe how much I love this thing. I've owned BMW M cars, currently own an AMG V8 but the Mojave is my favorite. I've done a few changes already: 3.5' Rough Country lift (preserving original shocks), new wheels and 35' BFG KO2 tires. I also had halogen lights stock, so I replaced them with Infinite Offroad LED lights across the board.

Now, I'm thinking about the CAI. I see a lot of people like it and I understand that there's probably little benefit from it except from a sound improvement. But I also see some opinions online that a custom CAI can potentially do some damage to the engine (long-term). So, my questions are:

1. Is there really at least some benefits other than the sound? Does CAI improve fuel economy at least a little bit? Added 5-10 hp is not something I would feel, I assume.
2. Are they safe to install, assuming of course installed properly? Is there any possibility it can do damage to the engine?
3. Does CAI void the warranty? I know this one might depend on a dealer but I'm mentally prepared to lose the warranty assuming of course, CAI cannot do any damage to the engine

Thank you all in advance for reading and if this was already discussed somewhere, I'd appreciate the link.

Happy Holidays!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Since warranty is a concern, get the Mopar CAI. The cutout for the hood may not fit, I did not install that part. There is no significant advantage to installing one, but it looks and sounds better.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
If you are concerned about the engineering behind the CAI, then just get the Mopar cold air intake. They were actually available as a factory option, so no worries about warranty impact. The only thing to remember is to use the factory paper-type air filter and not the 'high-flow' washable filter that comes with the kit. That is the way they were installed as a factory option.

The question about power has been discussed to death. The Mopar intake makes cool noises, and that's about it.

I have the Mopar CAI on my Mojave with the factory air filter and no hood cutout. It sounds very nice when you get on it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gladiator family,

Please don't kick me if this was discussed a million times already. I tried searching but could not find a clear answer to my specific question.

Just got a new 2023 Mojave with the Pentastar. This is my first Jeep in general and I cannot believe how much I love this thing. I've owned BMW M cars, currently own an AMG V8 but the Mojave is my favorite. I've done a few changes already: 3.5' Rough Country lift (preserving original shocks), new wheels and 35' BFG KO2 tires. I also had halogen lights stock, so I replaced them with Infinite Offroad LED lights across the board.

Now, I'm thinking about the CAI. I see a lot of people like it and I understand that there's probably little benefit from it except from a sound improvement. But I also see some opinions online that a custom CAI can potentially do some damage to the engine (long-term). So, my questions are:

1. Is there really at least some benefits other than the sound? Does CAI improve fuel economy at least a little bit? Added 5-10 hp is not something I would feel, I assume.
2. Are they safe to install, assuming of course installed properly? Is there any possibility it can do damage to the engine?
3. Does CAI void the warranty? I know this one might depend on a dealer but I'm mentally prepared to lose the warranty assuming of course, CAI cannot do any damage to the engine

Thank you all in advance for reading and if this was already discussed somewhere, I'd appreciate the link.

Happy Holidays!
They can't "damage" an engine as long as the ductwork and air box are sealed tightly from dirt. There's nothing to do damage. (unless you use some crap filter - some of the "high flow" filters that these engines don't need anyway)
They won't add squat to the engine performance other than making the driver feel good about it and sound nice, a bit of growl to it.
None should void warranty - but the MOPAR one not only won't, but the MOPAR CAI actually inherits the warranty remaining on the truck (but then I have to look at the prefix of the part number to see if it's covered that way)

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
You, like almost every car made in the last 20 years, have a factory cold air intake. Most aftermarket CAIs draw hot air from inside the engine bay - a crappy cone filter does not a CAI make.

Your factory intake is also above the fender and designed to keep water out of your engine, an aftermarket CAI will likely decrease your wading depth and is more likely to hydrolock your motor than the factory intake - unless you are going with a snorkel.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing to remember is to use the factory paper-type air filter and not the 'high-flow' washable filter that comes with the kit.
That's going to keep the warranty for sure.
The other types (so-called high flow) they could argue about dirt getting in, etc. They are crap anyway.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
They can't "damage" an engine as long as the ductwork and air box are sealed tightly from dirt. There's nothing to do damage.
Lots of CAIs come with 'high flow' air filters that don't do as good a job at filtering the air as the factory air filter. Letting any contamination into the engine above what the factory filter allows is not doing the engine any good.

EDIT: You were posting as I was typing. We're on the same page.:)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You, like almost every car made in the last 20 years, have a factory cold air intake. Most aftermarket CAIs draw hot air from inside the engine bay - a crappy cone filter does not a CAI make.

Your factory intake is also above the fender and designed to keep water out of your engine, an aftermarket CAI will likely decrease your wading depth and is more likely to hydrolock your motor than the factory intake - unless you are going with a snorkel.
These are actually CAI anyway - look at the main air entry at the edge of the hood, but if you look into the grill on the passenger side, and at the bottom of the air box - there's air getting in through the front as well.
So these ARE cold air intakes - they don't pull from the engine bay, they pull from the hood edge and the grill.
Somewhere I have a picture of where the air goes into the air box between the grill slots on the right side of the truck.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Some of the aftermarket CAI look cool but if you must grab one, go with the Mopar one imo. If it somehow screws something up downstream in the engine/sensors, then it should be covered by warranty.

Side note: Per my old service advisor, most people fuck up by spraying too much oil on the aftermarket filter. Idk if Mopar CAI utilizes the extra oil spray though. I don’t even know if the Mopar CAI filter is reusable or not, so keep that extra cost in mind if it isn’t.

Not worth it at all in my opinion unless you like the noise it makes as you mentioned.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar CAI kit changes the lid and air tube. It retains the lower half of the factory air box. It is designed to use the OEM paper filter. It includes a washable air filter that can be used, it does not use any type of oil spray. It also includes an optional cutout for the edge of the hood to allow more air in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
borikr

borikr

First Name
Boris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Thank you all! It seems like the consensus is:

1. There is no added benefit from CAI other than the sound.
2. If I go with Mopar and the paper (not washable) air filter, it is safe for the engine and will not void the warranty.

Makes total sense and thanks again, guys!

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the family by the way, Nice color choice for your Mojave :)

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Wait a minute! The most important thing about the Mopar CAI is it looks awesome, air tube is huge, then all the air chambers or resonators on tube are removed, the baffles in airbox lid are gone, probably even has a weight savings, you can see down to the axle on drivers side, but all that is chicken shit cause really number one thing is it looks bad-ass and sounds good. We run them on our JL and Mojave!…..Jack

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The stock air intake brings in cold air.
The stock intake provides more air than is needed for the proper air fuel mixture, so without an aftermarket tune to actually utilize more air and fuel there is no benefit to adding more air. You can bet that the engineers designed the stick setup to provide enough air for proper function with an end of life dirty filter, so there is already excess air available with a stock clean filter.

As far sound goes, I prefer a quieter engine, so maybe I'll get the Mopar. LOL

Sponsored