Sponsored

Curious how many of us would have bought a Gladiator with a 392 Hemi

Would you have purchased your Gladiator with a 392 Hemi if it had been available for $10k more

• Total voters

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
With all the hype about the Jeep Wrangler 392 Hemi V8, it seems likely FCA is considering one for the JT so I'm curious if this will be a hit.

I personally am kind of on the fence if I would have bought a Gladiator if the 392 Hemi had been available, (obviously the added cost plays into the answer) so I'm curious what others think.

Because I use mine as a tow and in the future an overlanding vehicle I think if the payload and towing capacity numbers would be increased with the 392 Hemi, I would consider it but not sure otherwise.
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I donā€™t have any interest in the 392 or the 4xe. Once the electric version arrives Iā€™ll either trade the diesel in immediately or keep it forever. I canā€™t own 3 vehicles no matter what I tell myself lol

OP
OP
MadManMoheenid

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t have any interest in the 392 or the 4xe. Once the electric version arrives Iā€™ll either trade the diesel in immediately or keep it forever. I canā€™t own 3 vehicles no matter what I tell myself lol
So you're waiting for all electric. What would the range, for you, need to be?

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I would have been interested in a 5.7 hemi, but not at more than a $6k markup from the v6. I'm guessing a hemi would also drop the legal tow/payload rating, so that would be a negative to it. I still have my v8 HO WJ that I DD alongside the JT, and there's just something about getting in the WJ and ripping around town that the JT doesn't quite match.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
So you're waiting for all electric. What would the range, for you, need to be?
350-400miles. To be fair Iā€™m 100% ok if I make the call to keep my diesel.
I have a model Y right now that Iā€™ll be trading for a Rivian R1S. For my purposes the diesel is pretty perfect

Sponsored

OP
OP
MadManMoheenid

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have been interested in a 5.7 hemi, but not at more than a $6k markup from the v6. I'm guessing a hemi would also drop the legal tow/payload rating, so that would be a negative to it. I still have my v8 HO WJ that I DD alongside the JT, and there's just something about getting in the WJ and ripping around town that the JT doesn't quite match.
I think most of us would agree theres no substitute for driving a vehicle with a V8.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
@MadManMoheenid is that your truck in the profile picture? If so, I'd like to see some more pics of that rack/topper.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
No V8 here. I prefer the V6 economy.
If I want to rod a truck, my V10 does just fine.

Kevin

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Honestly if they were still offering something like the old 4.7 V8 (something with more low-end torque and a bit more high end grunt) I probably would have gone for that. I like naturally aspirated v8 because they are not complex like a turbocharged diesel or a mild hybrid, and v8s are smooth. Also - if I wanted a desert racer the JT is not it. Even the mojave - has the suspension but needs the stones... I have a rubicon and honestly I think it is PERFECT for me and my intended uses. Light, pretty basic for long term durability, and the best off road pick up on the market bar none.

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Information Technology
With the Wrangler 392 starting at an estimated $77k, the Gladiator will probably be higher if they do it, there is a lot you can do to a 3.0L diesel for the probably $20k price difference. Other than cool factor and ridiculously good sound, you could build one hell of a diesel rig for that kind of money.

Sponsored

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
The answer is probably yes as itā€™s hard to say no to a V8, but with a minimum $10k entry, and pushing $20k, as I got a pretty base spec Rubi, I think tires, gears, clutch, lift and supercharger would all come in well under that premium. And I would get to keep rowing my own gears.

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
SERIOUSLY!!!!!

With all the current posts complaining about getting 13-17mpg, it would go nuts when people start getting Hummer H2 numbers like 8-12 mpg.

I think there is a lot of BS talk that "people want it" but in reality not as many units would really sell as people think.

Dmehrl

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator high altitude
Occupation
Shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Already bought the high altitude, still loose a little sleep on the price of that šŸ˜‚. Definitely would like a v-8, but 75k is just ridiculous

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Given a reasonable markup for the option, I would have done it. The HEMI is just an awesome engine. GM had no real need to put the Vette engine in the CTS-V years back but they did and folks bought it.

Im running 37s with my Rubi 4.10 gears and the Pentastar does just fine for me. I do not find myself being disappointed by it at all. It is a solid engine and I donā€™t see me trying to chase power with boost or swaps.

The way I see it,
ā€˜The Pentastar is like Mary Ann from Gilliganā€™s Island...
ā€˜The HEMI is like Wonder Woman. I men, DAMN!
Sponsored