www.danballardphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Dan,
Great rig and photos. I'm looking at the Frontrunner roof rack and yours is the only one I've seen online.

a few questions
1. how was the install?
2. wind noise ( I see you have wind-deflector)
3. What is your overall thoughts.

Thanks,
Hank
Overall I really like it. It's the only option I know of that you don't have to worry about at all running hard as it's to the frame. My last rig I was always thinking about my racks offroading and I hated it. This thing is not even a consideration. It's solid.

Install really sucks. It's honestly not hard, just a million steps. Drilling the hard top is of course nerve wracking, but their instructions are really good. I wouldn't not get it because of that. Just a pain.

Definitely some noise depending on what you have on it and if you have a lightbar. It does come with small fairings that go underneath, so you might not need a front fairing. It did help mine a ton and it's really decent now.. Overall I would say it's as good or better than the other racks I've had. Always some noise, but livable.

If you definitely need it go for it!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
yeah may not be the best option for extreme tip angles. But for most overlander types its a pretty good option.

i cant decide which way to go. Caps with rtt’s or habitats are nice but it means not having a daily pick up amd taking down camp when you wanna do something. Trailers add comfort and base camp convenience but are expensive and a pain in the ass on the trail. Ground tents are best for keeping your pick up a full pick up at home but not the most comfortable.

Im leaning towards a bed rack rtt combo thats easy on/off. I need my pick up to be a pick up most of the year.

Oh man, yeah, the amount of time I've spent thinking about that topic over the last 15 years is insane.

I have to say, my current setup is about as perfect for me as I've found. GentleTent RTT with a decent sized ground tent.

The RTT is small enough you can leave it on to seriously wheel, but at 50lbs you can take it off in a sec if needed.

The ground tent for when you want to setup camp and leave it for days and still have your truck to explore. Campgrounds even.

The RTT for the nights you want to find a spot anywhere just for night and be off the ground.

Still some downsides of course, but It's been pretty awesome.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Oh man, yeah, the amount of time I've spent thinking about that topic over the last 15 years is insane.

I have to say, my current setup is about as perfect for me as I've found. GentleTent RTT with a decent sized ground tent.

The RTT is small enough you can leave it on to seriously wheel, but at 50lbs you can take it off in a sec if needed.

The ground tent for when you want to setup camp and leave it for days and still have your truck to explore. Campgrounds even.

The RTT for the nights you want to find a spot anywhere just for night and be off the ground.

Still some downsides of course, but It's been pretty awesome.
yeah i was taking a look at that saying “hmmmm”

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking rig. Great pics!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build IMG_20210105_095746_611

Well the PSC big bore cylinder assist steering kit for the Gladiator is an absolute game changer! One of the best mods you can do imo!

I was sort of getting by turning the 37's before, but with the 39's and beadlocks...no way. At 7psi on Moab rock even in 4wd without lockers, I literally couldn't turn without moving and really planning corners. Now, even locked up it's one finger. Almost zero effort. So nice! Feels like a different truck.

It's also awesome for high speed desert running type driving as well. You can hold a line much better and it just feels more confidence inspiring.

Not only does this add the ram (hydraulic cylinder that actually pushes/pulls on the tierod) but adds a new big bore steering box that is super beefy! No more worries at all about breaking a sector shaft! Plus adds a new pump and cooling system. It actually turns the electronic system into a hydraulic system.

It is a touch sensitive on the highway, but definitely much better then stock.

It does take some time (days) to blead and get the fittings tight... I had it installed as I don't have a shop or good place to work, and I'm glad I did. They had to modify a lot to make it work with my truss, tierod and fad skid.

Overall it's a get kit! Well worth the money!

(PSC steering review for Jeep JT Gladiator and JL Wrangler)

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build IMG_20210105_095746_621

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Do redneck rams exist for the JT? Seems like that might be a preferable setup with the new cast iron boxes with a cooler?

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
shooting for a great balance between overland, rock crawling and hwy comfort as I am doing all three non-stop.
I knew there was a reason I like your rig so much. You and I have the same goals. :fist bump:

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Do redneck rams exist for the JT? Seems like that might be a preferable setup with the new cast iron boxes with a cooler?
I'm far from an expert on this, and can only pass on a little info I found from researching... and you probably know all this already, but for anyone else reading that might not...

It sounds like you can send your steering box in to them and they can port it for the hydraulics for the ram. You would just need to get the right length. But as far as I know they don't have a bigger pump or cooling system? Which some say you can get by without...but it's far from ideal. Also, while much of pressure would be taken off the sector shaft by the ram, you still have the small stock steering box with the small sector shaft. The PSC is massive. Huge difference.

I also considered just getting pieces of the PSC system which you can do, but when you break it down, it just wasn't that much different price wise.

In the end it just seemed like going with the full PSC kit was just the only solid option even though it's pricey.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hi Dan, Gorgeous Truck ! Really well done. Congrats !
How do you like the Clayton Overland Premium lift kit with the Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks ? Do you have any recommendations? How is the stiffness ?
I just received my Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks and I am scheduled to receive my Clayton Overland Plus kit next week. I also have the Rock Slide Engineering steps and armor and the front OEM steel bumper, plus molle panels with my tools and a 3 panel tonneau cover. So, I do have some weight and a winch is next. I mating all these parts up with Method 703 bead grip and 37" Goodyear Kevlar MTRs. I would appreciate any recommendations or feedback you have on the lift and shocks before I tear into the project. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Yhank
Hi Dan, Gorgeous Truck ! Really well done. Congrats !
How do you like the Clayton Overland Premium lift kit with the Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks ? Do you have any recommendations? How is the stiffness ?
I just received my Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks and I am scheduled to receive my Clayton Overland Plus kit next week. I also have the Rock Slide Engineering steps and armor and the front OEM steel bumper, plus molle panels with my tools and a 3 panel tonneau cover. So, I do have some weight and a winch is next. I mating all these parts up with Method 703 bead grip and 37" Goodyear Kevlar MTRs. I would appreciate any recommendations or feedback you have on the lift and shocks before I tear into the project. Thanks.

Thanks!!

Full disclosure, Clayton is a sponsor of mine, but I absolutelyove it!! Along with the Falcons (not a sponsor) it's just a killer setup!! The arms are super stout and it rides great.

I love being able to quickly adjust the shocks and I change from 3 on the hwy to 2.5ish or 1 depending on the offroad situation.

You will be happy.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yhank

Thanks!!

Full disclosure, Clayton is a sponsor of mine, but I absolutelyove it!! Along with the Falcons (not a sponsor) it's just a killer setup!! The arms are super stout and it rides great.

I love being able to quickly adjust the shocks and I change from 3 on the hwy to 2.5ish or 1 depending on the offroad situation.

You will be happy.
Thanks ! I am looking forward to the fast adjust on the Falcon SP2 3.3. Regarding setup for the SP2 setting (turning the shaft), with your weight, do you use the soft setting on the SP2 or the performance setting ?

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Thanks ! I am looking forward to the fast adjust on the Falcon SP2 3.3. Regarding setup for the SP2 setting (turning the shaft), with your weight, do you use the soft setting on the SP2 or the performance setting ?
Hmmm, maybe there is another main adjustment I'm not familiar with (certainly possible) that is an overall soft/performance setting?

I use the three fast adjust settings. 1 soft, 3 firm and 2 that allows you fine adjustment from soft to firm. Apparently you can actually make it softer than 1 and firmer than 3, a by using the number 2 knob and the fine adjustment.

I still need to play with it a lot more but right now I use 3 for the highway. 2 at the very middle for fast offroad. 1 for slow rock crawling type off road. I haven't tried this yet, but if something was seriously off-camber I might flip them to 3 for a little more stability.

If there is another overall setting I would definitely be curious to know.
Sponsored