First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
I was reading that dealers have been putting 6 instead of 5 quarts, nothing new I guess. I checked my invoice out of curiosity today and sure enough 6 quarts. I had it drained today for 5. It’s been almost 3000 miles would this be enough to damage anything or foul spark plugs?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There's a lot of threads on this. It can run over filled, there's been no reports of problems from it. Did you verify it was too full, or just go from the invoice?

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
There's a lot of threads on this. It can run over filled, there's been no reports of problems from it. Did you verify it was too full, or just go from the invoice?
Yea dip stick was over. I was reading over filling by a quart can foul plugs and froth oil causing it not to properly lubricate moving parts.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Yea dip stick was over. I was reading over filling by a quart can foul plugs and froth oil causing it not to properly lubricate moving parts.
It can, but doesn't appear to be a major problem with this engine. Lots of reports on too full, no reports of damage from it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It might in some engines. Be really careful what you read. People without real engine experience tend to put them all in one bucket - well, it does it on that one so it will on this one, or some guy told them about it and it stuck.

Most of the stuff you read out there about this sort of thing is - well, not accurate.
There are many engines where you can run a full quart over and cause zero issues. It depends on the sump depth, windage tray, design of the internals and other things.

Also note - some use automated equipment to fill during an oil change - one guy flat out told me if the thing read 5.2 quarts - they put down 6 on the invoice.
The only real way to know is the dipstick, like you checked.

Not sure how being over full is going to foul plugs.......... I've had 2 engines that called for 5 and you needed to run 6 because the oil return paths were such that a lot of oil stayed on the top during a long hard drive at RPM and you could suck the pan dry, so to speak.

Some dealers still do put in 6 - most don't.
But if you think about it - the thousands of Gladiator owners who have dealers do oil changes and never check the oil when they get home and are driving around with 6 quarts and never even know it, nor are they having issues.

Sponsored

Bob Alpaca

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Occupation
Retired
I hadn't visited the local Jeep dealer for over 25 years since they screwed up a repair on my Grand Cherokee, but I decided to give them another chance. They put in 6 quarts instead of 5. I had to fight and fight with them to drain a quart. Then they mysteriously "lost" my invoice that said they had put in 6 quarts. They refused to give me a new invoice. That's it for that dealership for another 25 years.

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
I hadn't visited the local Jeep dealer for over 25 years since they screwed up a repair on my Grand Cherokee, but I decided to give them another chance. They put in 6 quarts instead of 5. I had to fight and fight with them to drain a quart. Then they mysteriously "lost" my invoice that said they had put in 6 quarts. They refused to give me a new invoice. That's it for that dealership for another 25 years.
[/QUOTE
Jeez, yea I had kept the invoice and took a photo as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why you'd need a new invoice................. it's not going to matter a lick.

They did it one time on mine - it was the first year, Gladiators were very new here, few sold so dealer shops didn't get to see them very often, and all other 3.6 take 6 so I understood.
I discovered it a couple of days later, went back, they got my truck right in and they did a full service on it - they didn't just take out a quart, they did it all over again, new filter and all.
Hasn't been messed up since.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Overfilled JLs were such a big deal years ago when I bought my new JLR. To think that this is still happening is absolutely insane. On something as easy as an oil change, it shows the ineptness of Jeep’s dealership network.

OP
OP
Brahmajoe

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law
Overfilled JLs were such a big deal years ago when I bought my new JLR. To think that this is still happening is absolutely insane. On something as easy as an oil change, it shows the ineptness of Jeep’s dealership network.
Do you know if it was causing any issues? Only way I knew to check was from the forum

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Easy-peasy way to check - check the oil as soon as you shut down, is it pure looking dark, brownish, or a bit foamy and tan?
and,
on older vehicles before the super-duper dual mode fancy chain driven oil pumps, a person could watch oil pressure............

I have yet to run across an engine that was harmed by just 1 quarter over full - and that's in 50 years.

Again, the proof is in the numbers - how many owners actually do check oil - let me qualify that by adding - in the first 2 or 4 weeks of having a dealer do an oil change? Honestly.
Well, people look here and may think - well, every Jeep owner does! Nope, not even close.
Only a subset of those on forums - and often, they are checking because they read on a forum that it may be too full.
Otherwise, if it wasn't for all of the alarming and alerting and freaking out - of those that do check, only a fraction of those would check because they'd not have any urging to do so.

So this is actually artificially amplified.........

Going back - of all of those Jeeps going to dealers (or other locations) for oil changes, only a tiny percentage ever check oil - are there huge long all caps threads yelling about blown engines?
No.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I brought my EcoDiesel in for an oil change on Friday and they put 11 quarts of T6 in it then tried to tell me the invoice is actually wrong and they just list the incorrect info. I made them drain and refill with the correct Oil.

No motor is safe from these clowns they call "techs".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And yet for decades, we've had no problems with any of the oil changes and that includes Jeep Grand Cherokee since inception. My wife likes to buy the oil change packs. Heck, I can't do it for that, and dispose of the oil and spend the time - I can make a heck of a lot more in that time.
Zero issues. Just one time over-filled. Frankly, I could have let it slide........... I knew there'd be no harm, but they took it back in and did a whole new service - new oil, new filter, etc. from scratch.

My wife has had countless oil changes done for decades on several Jeep vehicles. We have only the one mess up on my JT ONE TIME early on as it was a new thing - a 3.6 that take 5 quarts.