Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's handy to keep a can or two around for emergencies. I store mine next to the exhaust gas sample bags, muffler bearings and the water pump for the 73 beetle I have yet to buy...
Is yours the official Lucas brand?
No, it's some other brand I can't recall now...........
Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 1680215184609
Sponsored

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
Well, looks like it gets to go back... again... the timing cover is leaking oil down onto the front diff. I know that the long block you have to reinstall this cover. Had they gotten a crate engine instead I probably wouldn't have this issue. Oddly enough, the part number for the long block used comes up as a JL fitment without JT anywhere in its listing. 68565534-AB.
Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 20230423_130947

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Contacted the dealer and they stated that it looks like it could be old oil... Do they think I am mentally deficient? At this point I am contacting a lawyer and this El knocko is gonna be gone.
If you live in Minnesota don't go to Tanner Motors for service work, their attention to detail is super bad. I held off naming them inhopes that they could redeem themselves and they failed miserably.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Contacted the dealer and they stated that it looks like it could be old oil... Do they think I am mentally deficient? At this point I am contacting a lawyer and this El knocko is gonna be gone.
If you live in Minnesota don't go to Tanner Motors for service work, their attention to detail is super bad. I held off naming them inhopes that they could redeem themselves and they failed miserably.
Old oil from what, exactly? The engine that no longer sits in that engine bay?
Are they implying that they never cleaned the timing cover and left dripping oil all over it when they put it back on?
How about they offer to put a tracer in the oil, wash it off, and set up a time for you to come back so you can drive it a bit and then they recheck for leaks and signs of the leak tracer?

Either way, they mess up -
Either it's leaking after this fresh work
or
they don't bother cleaning anything, they put back oily parts
and
They didn't even bother to suggest they at least humor you and check it out?
How long does some brake cleaner take to spray on, wipe the area down really well, put something in the oil, and let you drive it a day or two? They lose what, part of an hour?

Heck, I've fixed things that weren't even my fault just because it was simple and quick and it's easier than the alternative of someone falsely accusing.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I took my lunch break, went over, grabbed the service manager and showed him in person. He said that it could not have been cleaned proper, I said good, grab some dye then. "We don't have any right now it's a vendor direct ship" gtfo with that.
When I was turning wrenches I made sure whatever I worked on was cleaner than I got it. The level of deflection and refusal to take accountability for the mistakes continually being made, unreal.
He then made a subtle threat " I am at work so I am being civil" like really guy, you want to say some nonsense like that, cool, now I am gonna bash your service department even more, hence I dropped their name.
I may be speaking from an angry perspective and be somewhat biased as a result but still. Ugh

Sponsored

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If anyone is still watching this thread, I forgot to make any updates. The source of the oil leak was a missing cam phaser bring on the front of the drivers side valve cover. Not torn, completely missing. I bought the 2 dollar part and fixed it myself. Now after about 8000 miles the engine seems okay but when underneath doing the oil change I found oil seeping from the two little rubber plugs at the trans to engine mating point. The plugs are completely saturated. It was also down a quart at 5000 miles before I changed it. I also noticed that the collant reservoir is about .5in low in the tank when it was hot. Suffice to say I have not brought it back to them as of yet and I am at 37037 miles now. I am at the point where I seriously wonder what else got missed when this engine was installed. I don't know if I reach out to jeep first or the dealer. As much as I love having this jeep I am at the point where I am done.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
O ring not bring....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is still watching this thread, I forgot to make any updates. The source of the oil leak was a missing cam phaser bring on the front of the drivers side valve cover. Not torn, completely missing. I bought the 2 dollar part and fixed it myself. Now after about 8000 miles the engine seems okay but when underneath doing the oil change I found oil seeping from the two little rubber plugs at the trans to engine mating point. The plugs are completely saturated. It was also down a quart at 5000 miles before I changed it. I also noticed that the collant reservoir is about .5in low in the tank when it was hot. Suffice to say I have not brought it back to them as of yet and I am at 37037 miles now. I am at the point where I seriously wonder what else got missed when this engine was installed. I don't know if I reach out to jeep first or the dealer. As much as I love having this jeep I am at the point where I am done.
Oil at those plugs is likely rear main if it's oil and not automatic transmission fluid which is also sort of a tan color after a few thousand miles.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil at those plugs is likely rear main if it's oil and not automatic transmission fluid which is also sort of a tan color after a few thousand miles.
Indeed, either way I am less than excited. I now have zero faith that repairs were completed correctly and to specifications. I understand things happen, but the lack of care found in the rest of the assembly of the things I can see at a quick glance under the hood, I can't even be angry.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw this post today. 😄 🤣
It is really bad when you then ask yourself, who wrote this.
It's really a thing - Jamais vu
The problem is, I experience it on a regular basis. I look at work I did 10 years ago and say - no way, I could never have done that, I don't even know or remember how.
And yet it's something I built or repaired or restored many years in the past.

My wife asked for help with a project she needed to do for someone - needed to duplicate a font in embroidery. She said that I had created the work in software years ago - it didn't even look the slightest bit familiar.

Scott0700

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
Occupation
Self Employed
How about this dealer failure on a transmission replacement on my 2018. Tried to give it back to me with the front driveshaft swinging in the breeze….and they claimed they test drove it
Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil IMG_7181

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How about this dealer failure on a transmission replacement on my 2018. Tried to give it back to me with the front driveshaft swinging in the breeze….and they claimed they test drove it
Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil IMG_7181
They may have test drove (driven?) it - that would not show up unless in 4 wheel drive, or by visual inspection. In 2 wheel drive you don't even need that shaft.

Luckily it didn't catch on something in the road!!

Pretty sad something so very simple would be missed.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
They may have test drove (driven?) it - that would not show up unless in 4 wheel drive, or by visual inspection. In 2 wheel drive you don't even need that shaft.

Luckily it didn't catch on something in the road!!

Pretty sad something so very simple would be missed.
I think there would have been carnage had they engaged the 4WD.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think there would have been carnage had they engaged the 4WD.
And some very loud noise for sure.
Good thing their test drive was only in normal 2 wd mode. Otherwise, they'd be buying some parts (or making some excuse it was owner error)
Sponsored