Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did they make you sign financial responsibility if they don’t find anything, …you pay for it??

Why on earth would they not just replace it? Are the techs skilled enough to rebuild engines now? I’ve had services managers from Chrysler and Toyota say ‘they don’t have time to do tear downs (if customer signs) and rebuilds, if it’s broken, the case is explained and the manufacturer replaces the part’.
Could it be they are looking for a cause that would leave them out of responsibility?
Maybe the boss said - tear it down and find proof it's not our problem.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Could it be they are looking for a cause that would leave them out of responsibility?
Maybe the boss said - tear it down and find proof it's not our problem.
Looking for a way out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a way out.
Could be, maybe not, who knows.
My wife's philosophy is - doesn't matter if the customer is wrong, or we are - we make it right.
That's how she ran our store. Customer has a complaint, deal with it promptly and even to the point of going a bit above and beyond. Customer claims they were shorted in a fabric kit - one piece wasn't big enough (fact was, the customer didn't follow directions and cut the fabric wrong) My wife's solution - give the customer a whole new kit and apologize.
Sometimes the cost of arguing is higher than eating the problem and moving on.
Other customers were there and saw the whole thing and later even said comments like "wow, it was that lady's problem, that was amazing" and business grew.
Investment in customer relations, and avoiding a bigger headache.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Could be, maybe not, who knows.
My wife's philosophy is - doesn't matter if the customer is wrong, or we are - we make it right.
That's how she ran our store. Customer has a complaint, deal with it promptly and even to the point of going a bit above and beyond. Customer claims they were shorted in a fabric kit - one piece wasn't big enough (fact was, the customer didn't follow directions and cut the fabric wrong) My wife's solution - give the customer a whole new kit and apologize.
Sometimes the cost of arguing is higher than eating the problem and moving on.
Other customers were there and saw the whole thing and later even said comments like "wow, it was that lady's problem, that was amazing" and business grew.
Investment in customer relations, and avoiding a bigger headache.
That’s all well and good but in this case we would like to think a dealership or corporate would make the ethical decision… never going to happen.

When FCA engineer NORM signed off on my coolant consuming engine and was fine with that, my insurance company later came in and replaced it. Wife was pissed that FCA gets off on their responsibility to back their product. I said yup, they’ll never make the ethical decision to replace it.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
Update on the madness. They tore down the top end and couldn't find anything was the word I got last Friday, Monday I saw it was outside before snowmaggedon hit us here. I then emailed the dealer General manager with my entire story from my perspective including how mine sat for three weeks because one was torn down and couldn't be moved. Got a response of how I was put in a loaner and was a fit in job blah blah blah. I replied with the statement that they couldn't move one to get to mine, but could move mine torn down or wasted money and time assembling it to move it.
Fast forward three days and I get an email that they are replacing the "long block" his words, so apparently kicking a hornets nest with facts gives great motivation. It will be a few more weeks now.
In other news I have been doing engine things at home.

IMG_20221224_164730_01.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update on the madness. They tore down the top end and couldn't find anything was the word I got last Friday, Monday I saw it was outside before snowmaggedon hit us here. I then emailed the dealer General manager with my entire story from my perspective including how mine sat for three weeks because one was torn down and couldn't be moved. Got a response of how I was put in a loaner and was a fit in job blah blah blah. I replied with the statement that they couldn't move one to get to mine, but could move mine torn down or wasted money and time assembling it to move it.
Fast forward three days and I get an email that they are replacing the "long block" his words, so apparently kicking a hornets nest with facts gives great motivation. It will be a few more weeks now.
In other news I have been doing engine things at home.

IMG_20221224_164730_01.jpg
Nice test stand.
Been considering selling my boring bar and rod hone - too danged busy on other stuff.

BTW - I believe I found the reason for the misfire ->

Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 1677186816988

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice test stand.
Been considering selling my boring bar and rod hone - too danged busy on other stuff.

BTW - I believe I found the reason for the misfire ->

Jeep Gladiator Dealer overfilled oil 1677186816988
😆, yes bad misfire, had to build all new wires. Tried uploading video but it's too big, definitely not used to hearing that 😅
The run stand was built from junk I had laying around, old leaky radiator check, random sort of mostly working gauges check, rigged fuel tank check, battery from the tractor sure... total cost one days labor

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
El knocko is under the knife as I type this... I hope there are no issues after but I don't have a lot of confidence because of the destruction of my trust in them. Thanks for watching everyone!

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
60 days today! Whoo, new milestone. The dealer did let me know that the service manager took mine for a 25 mile drive yesterday without issue so I will be picking up El Knocko later today. I will for sure be going over it in detail, because I am particular. The dealer had been in much better contact after I escalated to their general manager. I hate being that guy, makes my skin crawl but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
60 days today! Whoo, new milestone. The dealer did let me know that the service manager took mine for a 25 mile drive yesterday without issue so I will be picking up El Knocko later today. I will for sure be going over it in detail, because I am particular. The dealer had been in much better contact after I escalated to their general manager. I hate being that guy, makes my skin crawl but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Wish I could give multiple likes as there are multiple points in the above that I like and can relate to...

Sponsored

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One week in, the engine is quieter than when it was new, just the ever present vvt tick. It also got the power back and fuel mileage is back also. Sounds more growly than I remember, but overall happy so far. I may even give the dealer another chance at being my service center for things I don't want to do.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
One week in, the engine is quieter than when it was new, just the ever present vvt tick. It also got the power back and fuel mileage is back also. Sounds more growly than I remember, but overall happy so far. I may even give the dealer another chance at being my service center for things I don't want to do.
Crossing fingers. You think it runs better for having the right amount of oil in it? Did they toss in an additive?

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crossing fingers. You think it runs better for having the right amount of oil in it? Did they toss in an additive?
I think it runs better being a brand new engine and having the correct amount of oil. I made a point of checking it right in the parking lot as I picked it up haha. We will see what happens as we go along....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did they toss in an additive?
I hope the heck not!
Never ever add anything to oil in my vehicles or I'll make you drain it out and start over.
You don't mess with the oil's chemistry by throwing in junk that may make that oil LESS able to protect because of the changed chemistry.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
I don't know why anyone would take a jeep to the dealership for a oil change. Drain plug and filter a super easy to get to and the 3.6 takes 5qts even. The part that takes longest is waiting for the oil to stop draining into the pan.
Sponsored