First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
I don't know why anyone would take a jeep to the dealership for a oil change. Drain plug and filter a super easy to get to and the 3.6 takes 5qts even. The part that takes longest is waiting for the oil to stop draining into the pan.
It was the three free ones courtesy of jeep. Super easy to do at home. I like to change the cabin filter at the same time. Already sucked a mouse nest out once. Ugh, country living.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why anyone would take a jeep to the dealership for a oil change. Drain plug and filter a super easy to get to and the 3.6 takes 5qts even. The part that takes longest is waiting for the oil to stop draining into the pan.
Because it's free and easy and they actually do a good job and do what they say they're doing - at least, here. I can drop it off for other stuff and not waste my time when I can be running other errands or making more money. They dispose of the oil and filter, they provide the oil and filter.
It's not worth my time and effort. As I was once told by my boss - the CEO and president of the company I worked for "I'm not paying an officer to do the work a private can do" when I tried to help one of my employees there. I was caught up, my employee was swamped, so I stepped in. His words resonate to this day. Let them do that while I do highly skilled stuff that makes more money.
I've got a lawn tractor and 2 other cars to maintain, so when I want to do unskilled stuff for a change, I'll do those. And when I do those, I take out the plug and the filter and leave them for hours, even until the next day, while I do other stuff. So I've plenty to do with 4 vehicles and a lawn tractor (and generator and chain saw and trimmer to maintain)
If you aren't doing the other checks at the same time - you aren't doing it as intended.
They send me videos of the brake and other checks to show they've done it all.
We coordinate things so it's never a special trip just for that.
Besides, it's getting harder for me to get up and down these days. You'll get old one of these days, and maybe have a bad back from all of the decades of labor, and arthritis, and see why sometimes - it's best to let a monkey do what monkeys do.
I don't need more stuff to do.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I hope the heck not!
Never ever add anything to oil in my vehicles or I'll make you drain it out and start over.
You don't mess with the oil's chemistry by throwing in junk that may make that oil LESS able to protect because of the changed chemistry.
The dealerships around here like throwing in BG to fix stuff.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The dealerships around here like throwing in BG to fix stuff.
NO additives ever in my oil. An additive is not a fix. it's to get by without diagnosing or addressing actual issues or problems, lack of maintenance, lack of decent oil, whatever.
And in most cases, not all, but most, when "protection enhancing" additives are added, the protection actually goes down, not up.
As far as "cleaners" and so on, if you have had issues caused by what I mentioned in the first 2 or 3 sentences, sometimes that can help reverse varnish, sludge or certain other issues. Still, it's something you do after it's already too late to prevent the problem.
I've used cleaners - not recently as I've not had any reason or cause to consider them, but years ago working on other vehicles where there were clearly sludge or varnish issues (again, caused by what I described earlier), you do what you need to do sometimes.
But for a dealer to just add it with no discussion, or to "fix" something.... naw.
If you "need" the BG typical additive, then you need to change oils used, change oil change intervals, etc. If sludge is forming, if there's oxidation - that's what the oil's own additives prevent - however, some oils fall flat on their faces in those areas so step up to a better oil. If you "need" such additives, you are using the wrong oil or your maintenance needs to be revisited.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Last year I was out of state and had a "wave" oil change at a dealer, they tried to sell me a multitude of services, oil additive, fluid flush, and transmission additive. Sure glad I don't use those people on a regular bases.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I just hope the OP’s service order doesn’t say an additive was put in to quiet down the engine

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last year I was out of state and had a "wave" oil change at a dealer, they tried to sell me a multitude of services, oil additive, fluid flush, and transmission additive. Sure glad I don't use those people on a regular bases.
Don't blame the tech - they are taught that by their bosses. They aren't taught that in college and it's not in any ASE test.
That's where the even slightly aware or educated driver/owner makes the difference.
My wife would call me and ask "what do you think", luckily.
Always say no to additives - that one is easy.
Look at the service schedule in the owner manual before going in - that will protect you. Fun to say back "but my Jeep book says it's not needed yet" and see what they say.

Last edited:

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Because it's free and easy and they actually do a good job and do what they say they're doing - at least, here. I can drop it off for other stuff and not waste my time when I can be running other errands or making more money. They dispose of the oil and filter, they provide the oil and filter.
It's not worth my time and effort. As I was once told by my boss - the CEO and president of the company I worked for "I'm not paying an officer to do the work a private can do" when I tried to help one of my employees there. I was caught up, my employee was swamped, so I stepped in. His words resonate to this day. Let them do that while I do highly skilled stuff that makes more money.
I've got a lawn tractor and 2 other cars to maintain, so when I want to do unskilled stuff for a change, I'll do those. And when I do those, I take out the plug and the filter and leave them for hours, even until the next day, while I do other stuff. So I've plenty to do with 4 vehicles and a lawn tractor (and generator and chain saw and trimmer to maintain)
If you aren't doing the other checks at the same time - you aren't doing it as intended.
They send me videos of the brake and other checks to show they've done it all.
We coordinate things so it's never a special trip just for that.
Besides, it's getting harder for me to get up and down these days. You'll get old one of these days, and maybe have a bad back from all of the decades of labor, and arthritis, and see why sometimes - it's best to let a monkey do what monkeys do.
I don't need more stuff to do.
Well You must have a dealership that does a good job...every time I've taken advantage of a free oil change from toyota or ford I've walked outta the house only to find a puddle of oil on the driveway or a overfilled motor. Yes its no fun crawling under a vehicle on a cold winter day to do a oil change, but at least I know it's done correctly.....

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Hope you didn't pay for blinker fluid replacement or a muffler bearing Inspection

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It was the service advisor who offered the extra products due to my milage 44K. When I ask him doesn't the owners manual say not to use additives, he changed the subject.

Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hope you didn't pay for blinker fluid replacement or a muffler bearing Inspection
It was strange, when I said the owners manual doesn't recommend additives he decided to ask how I liked my tires.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just hope the OP’s service order doesn’t say an additive was put in to quiet down the engine
Don't know what additive could do that besides a quality oil of the correct viscosity.

Well You must have a dealership that does a good job...every time I've taken advantage of a free oil change from toyota or ford I've walked outta the house only to find a puddle of oil on the driveway or a overfilled motor. Yes its no fun crawling under a vehicle on a cold winter day to do a oil change, but at least I know it's done correctly.....
Yes - but then, at the two dealerships here, they know me....... at the one I bought from, they have good people there. The service advisor is tops and could be a master tech himself just from discussions with him.
I get it that some dealerships send the oil changes off to the part timers with no training sometimes. Some are great, some are good and some shouldn't change oil in a lawn mower.
And to support what YOU have experienced - years ago, I literally walked out of one job - walked out to my truck, backed it up, loaded up all of my tools, and politely, quietly drove off into the sunset (actually it was a bit after sunset, but that's getting technical)
They had asked me to do something I knew was putting a family in less than safe situation. I said no - the boss said do it, or................he didn't have to finish. I chose the "or". Never looked back.
So I know they exist, I get your hesitation or resistance.
Just that for me - and some others where the dealers do ok, or it's just not worth it for them to do it themselves (and frankly, I'd not want some Jeep owners doing an oil change no matter how "simple" it is - if a guy at an oil change place can screw up, then so can the owner. So - is the owner really truly doing better? Maybe........ do they check everything over at the same time?
I'm old-school - you don't just change oil and filter. You spend at least an hour checking every fluid, every hose, brake wear, tires and so on. So for me - an oil change is not an oil change.
That's why I like the videos showing they looked at things - and I recognize my blue truck. My wife's JLU will be easier. In 3,000 miles of driving across the country, we saw only one other reign Wrangler - just one, so they can't do a video and pretend it's ours LOL. (*unless they have one on the lot?? hmmmm)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was the service advisor who offered the extra products due to my milage 44K. When I ask him doesn't the owners manual say not to use additives, he changed the subject.
BRAVO!!!!!! Good for you!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I carry canned smoke, for when the smoke escapes from your electronics, I can put it back.

OP
OP
ReverendZ

ReverendZ

First Name
Zebulon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Mack's Toe Nacho
Occupation
Powersports Technical Support
I carry canned smoke, for when the smoke escapes from your electronics, I can put it back.
It's handy to keep a can or two around for emergencies. I store mine next to the exhaust gas sample bags, muffler bearings and the water pump for the 73 beetle I have yet to buy...
Is yours the official Lucas brand?
Sponsored