Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@Shocker7 You CAN lock the center console. I believe that is a standard feature. The lock port is on the front of the top lid closer to the passenger.
Correct, it's black on mine, just on the right of the handles used to open it. I believe the sales guy showed me things that lock for when you have the top off, etc. Wish I had done something about locking storage under the seat but then I used that to stow the top panel bag.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Every restart of the engine uses about the same amount of fuel as idling for 10 seconds. So in order to being using less fuel, you need to have the engine off for at least that amount of time. I turned my auto start off the second day I bought my truck and I am averaging almost 21 mpg with mostly suburban and rural driving.
And you have measured that? It's more than 10 seconds here, guy. Try 2 minutes at some lights. Normally you sit about 20-30 seconds here.
Again, if you have engineered this and have a better clue than the engineers, write to them and explain that they aren't saving a thing and they don't need to be compliant with the metro areas that have rules about idling for over xx time.
Again, if you know how to use the system, you can control it via the brake pedal. Really simple! You simply don't fly to a stop and brake like a teen. You can feather that pedal and control whether or not it shuts down. I've pulled up to lights thinking they were maybe going to turn, then pressed harder to get it to shut down. I have also pulled to stale red lights and come to a stop without the thing ever shutting down - in fact many times today when we went shopping in 3 different towns, and then I went back in again.
We learned how to manipulate the pressure on the brakes with my wife's GC.
My JT almost never shuts off if I don't want it to.
I got about 23 average last tank. I've also sat at lights long enough I've watched the average MPG go from 22.5 down to 22.3

I believe this is a "control" issue more than an inconvenience or any real trouble.
Odd how most folks complaining aren't engineers.

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I'm irritated with all the whining about what is still a first model year vehicle that many seem to think should be perfect. Sh!t like the key fob being big just goes on and on and on.
This isn't a bitch session about 1st year issues and I am not sure why you are taking constructive criticism of a Jeep product personally. This is an opportunity to share what we don't like and things that Jeep can fix in the future. I am sure a few people from the company read these threads.

While it is a first year model, this isn't the first vehicle that Jeep has made and it's heavily based on the JL, so its not like they don't have experience with building this type of vehicle or building on this platform.

Don't get me wrong. I love my JT. It kicks ass. It could still be better and I am happy to talk about those needed improvement in hopes that the things that owners see and don't like will be discussed in the next product development meeting.

Oh, also, I wheel with my doors on more than half the time and there are not a lot of trees in Moab so I'd support moving the mirrors to the A pillars. It just makes it easier when I decide to take them off.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
And you think that's new or unique to JT? Hardly...............

where'ya gonna put it?
And why would anyone need quick road-side replacement of the 2nd battery?!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't a bitch session about 1st year issues and I am not sure why you are taking constructive criticism of a Jeep product personally. This is an opportunity to share what we don't like and things that Jeep can fix in the future. I am sure a few people from the company read these threads.

While it is a first year model, this isn't the first vehicle that Jeep has made and it's heavily based on the JL, so its not like they don't have experience with building this type of vehicle or building on this platform.

Don't get me wrong. I love my JT. It kicks ass. It could still be better and I am happy to talk about those needed improvement in hopes that the things that owners see and don't like will be discussed in the next product development meeting.

Oh, also, I wheel with my doors on more than half the time and there are not a lot of trees in Moab so I'd support moving the mirrors to the A pillars. It just makes it easier when I decide to take them off.
This thread and numerous others ARE "bitch sessions about 1st year (product)" and we're definitely NOT talking about "constructive criticism." And you can be sure that the FCA JEEP engineers and product managers don't need to read all the whiney posts about key fobs, mirror locations, tailgate down indicator lights, etc., etc. to know what's next on their product development (improvement) list.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Actually it has turned into one. The bit about auto stop/start gets hammered on daily, including this thread and yet people don't understand - that ain't gonna change.

The CONSTRUCTIVE bit about allowing tire size changes in the dash interface - that's a winner, it's constructive, it makes sense because Jeep encourages modifications of various sorts - heck, the dealers will even swap wheels and tires before they sell.

But a lot is things that have been seen many times over the months.

Oh, on needing to totally redo the doors if they moved the mirrors to the A-pillar?
I truly believe that is not necessary. Why would it take a whole new or different door? At the MOST it might take a skin, or perhaps a second process to cut for the Wrangler and remove that spot for the JT.
On some model of trucks there's simply a trim bit that fits where a large trailering mirror would go on some models. Doesn't take a whole new door - or even a door skin.
I could refer to how other car companies did it in the 70s and 80s to save money. Heck, look at the cars I own - you'd be amazed at the parts that interchange because AMC didn't have cash to re-tool often.

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
This thread and numerous others ARE "bitch sessions about 1st year (product)" and we're definitely NOT talking about "constructive criticism." And you can be sure that the FCA JEEP engineers and product managers don't need to read all the whiney posts about key fobs, mirror locations, tailgate down indicator lights, etc., etc. to know what's next on their product development (improvement) list.
Sounds like you have it all figured out.

TRM07

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2007 JK
@TRM07 It's different because your Wrangler has a rear wiper as well, though I would have assumed you would pull them the same way to activate the front. that's weird
Nope. Soft top only on my wife’s jk and mine as well. They just flipped the motion to activate the wipers for just one swipe. Annoying, but not a big deal. Just a head scratcher why they would change it up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Soft top only on my wife’s jk and mine as well. They just flipped the motion to activate the wipers for just one swipe. Annoying, but not a big deal. Just a head scratcher why they would change it up.
Right - others are down for front wiper.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I want a tailgate down idiot light on the dash like the door ajar warning light. Because i'm an idiot and had things fall out when I forgot to close the tailgate..
The rear camera selection on the touch screen lets to check your tailgate - if all you see is pavement, you’ve left the tailgate down.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I want a tailgate down idiot light on the dash like the door ajar warning light. Because i'm an idiot and had things fall out when I forgot to close the tailgate.
Yeah, but then the folks hauling plywood would gripe about the idiot light being on when the tailgate is down........... ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The rear camera selection on the touch screen lets to check your tailgate - if all you see is pavement, you’ve left the tailgate down.
Or you are backing into a concrete wall?

Ian8

And you have measured that? It's more than 10 seconds here, guy. Try 2 minutes at some lights. Normally you sit about 20-30 seconds here.
Again, if you have engineered this and have a better clue than the engineers, write to them and explain that they aren't saving a thing and they don't need to be compliant with the metro areas that have rules about idling for over xx time.
Again, if you know how to use the system, you can control it via the brake pedal. Really simple! You simply don't fly to a stop and brake like a teen. You can feather that pedal and control whether or not it shuts down. I've pulled up to lights thinking they were maybe going to turn, then pressed harder to get it to shut down. I have also pulled to stale red lights and come to a stop without the thing ever shutting down - in fact many times today when we went shopping in 3 different towns, and then I went back in again.
We learned how to manipulate the pressure on the brakes with my wife's GC.
My JT almost never shuts off if I don't want it to.
I got about 23 average last tank. I've also sat at lights long enough I've watched the average MPG go from 22.5 down to 22.3

I believe this is a "control" issue more than an inconvenience or any real trouble.
Odd how most folks complaining aren't engineers.
If you read my bio, it says “petroleum engineer”
No, I am not one of the automotive geniuses that designed this feature. And no I am not an EPA employee trying to limit every ounce of carbon dioxide emitted from vehicles. But, my point is that I am averaging more than the estimated fuel economy without the feature. Shouldn’t I be getting measurbly worse gas mileage because I am not utilizing this wonderful feature?

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You will likely never see that - they have to meet CAFE numbers and certain other restrictions somehow.
There's a city in MN that can ticket people for idling too long at a stop. And that's spreading around the country.
Odd that it's causing such frustration! Especially when it doesn't make the thing any less powerful or any slower.
I simply use my FOOT to control it and it only stops when I want it to, doesn't stop when I don't want it to. Light foot the brakes.
I think the dislike of the stop-start is more from the older crowd who had unreliable vehicles in their past. It's not the fuel consumption/no oil pressure etc. reasons that disturb me, it's the sinking feeling from years past of "oh crap! the engine just died!" Freaks me out.
Sponsored