Sponsored

Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice?

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
i had a 2020 gas and I was hoping to get bigger range with the diesel. Was a disappointment . I get 14.5 miles per gallon . Short trips in the mountains . Which is still way better than gas. My jk would only go about 2 hrs to finding a gas station . To get 22 you must Live on the flat with a tail wind. Diesel is better hands down and at least hauling extra diesel is much safer than gas . Diesel doesnt just light.
Yes. KC area so pretty darn flat
Sponsored

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Hold up, I have been overlooking that tidbit.

The Gladiator EcoDiesel fuel tank is only 18.5 gallons? Wow. That's ridiculously small. I thought my 26 gallon tank on the Ram was bad!

So assuming the low fuel light comes on with 16 gallons consumed, and all the owner data showing 22 MPG average is accurate, that means the Gladiator EcoDiesel only has a range of 350ish miles? Ouch.
Mine is averaging about 27.5ish when I am not towing. It's showing right at 500 miles of range from a full tank.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
37s on should go 110 fooling the speedo. Little fast for bad ball joints and crappy goodyears. Tells me I have 385 kms range . But there again it doesnt know its tire size unless it goes by gps. So add another 30k or so . Converted to 240 miles add 19 for tires. I’m going on a 3 hour drive with it today see what it does getting out of town. Be pulling a boat though .
Jeep Gladiator Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice? 7CCDA0BD-7E3E-4631-B64B-34181A2BB76E

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)
I expect that as the emission systems start to age out you will see many folks who tend to keep their vehicles for the long term start to form regrets.

These are not the diesels of yesteryear, they come with reduced reliability and much higher maintenance cost factors over the long run. Combine that with the upfront premium and the value just isn't there for most.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
The gas motor being such a dog, the diesel was the only option that made the jt feel like it had power. That was the trade of, sketchy motor with good power or always feel like you never had power. I wanted a lugger motor like the old I6, the new 3.6 did not do it for me.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I expect that as the emission systems start to age out you will see many folks who tend to keep their vehicles for the long term start to form regrets.

These are not the diesels of yesteryear, they come with reduced reliability and much higher maintenance cost factors over the long run. Combine that with the upfront premium and the value just isn't there for most.
Not everyone buying a Jeep EcoDiesel is looking for monetary value. I personally buy diesel because of the many benefits (better towing, improved drivability, increased range, etc.)

While it is true that modern diesels can be very costly to maintain outside the warranty period, not every diesel is going to be expensive. There are EcoDiesels with 300,000 miles with no problems. Plus, the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty that you get with the diesel helps protect early failures.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
Theres a general consensus around here that we will delete and add bigger tanks when warrantee is no longer an option. Its a good motor . Too much crap on it. But the power is the best yet.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How can it be deleted? Someone would have to get into the programming for the ecm and remove all the sensors otherwise it will just go into limp mode it’s not like you can just remove all the emissions stuff and the motor will run normally.

pjohnston

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel,2015 JKUR Hardrock
Occupation
Education Consultant
I have been reading this and find some of it interesting. I have had my JTD Willys for 2 1/2 weeks now and put a hair over 2000 miles on it. I am very happy so far. Yes it is a risk with some of the problems but I got this for my road Jeep. My goal is 5 years 200,000 miles. Yes, I may be crazy........maybe a bunch crazy, but I do have some knowledge in diesels.

Compared to my 2015 JKUR Hard Rock, it is smoother on the road. The diesel is averaging 27mpg over that 2k miles so far and my Hard Rock would get me maybe 17 on a good day/week/month. To me that is pretty significant even with DEF and the more expensive oil. I am guessing that when the MTs wear out and I possibly put an AT tire on that the mileage could go up.

My wife had a long string of VW/Audi diesels so I am used to the Euro-spec oil/DEF/and whatever else you can add in to make it eco. What matters is I am happy and now the Hard Rock can be used more for fun! ;)

Paul

Sponsored

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
I dont suppose they have it figured yet. They will

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
How can it be deleted? Someone would have to get into the programming for the ecm and remove all the sensors otherwise it will just go into limp mode it’s not like you can just remove all the emissions stuff and the motor will run normally.
It's already been done. There's tuning available right now that disables the EGR/SCR system.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
It's already been done. There's tuning available right now that disables the EGR/SCR system.
This is where I remind everyone how asinine required emissions inspections are for private vehicles. I have to get my >20 year old truck inspected every other year, but if it was a slightly higher GVWR or a diesel I wouldn't have to.

Illinois does not require any diesel passenger vehicles, including the JT, to ever be inspected. I'm happy for it for the reduced hassle if nothing else. But it is weird.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
This is where I remind everyone how asinine required emissions inspections are for private vehicles.
Tuning today allows EcoDiesel users a few options to skirt inspections. You can swap back to stock tuning with either a flashtool or ECM swap and nobody (inspection-wise) is going to know. That's how you can be tuned and still maintain your factory warranty.