Sponsored

Do you really want a first year production?...

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I would hope anyone who posts here already knows that the Jeep Gladiator has learned a lot from its siblings. Its not a complete redesign. They added a truck frame, and are using the same engine thats been out for years. What could possibly go wrong?
Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I mean screw it, It'll be cool to own both the first year model in pristine condition and a 2040 Gladiator simultaneously.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I would also add that the JL paved the way with quite a bit of "beta testing" in it's own right.
QFT

There have been A LOT of bugs with the JL. Most of them have been either electronic or steering related. Most of those issues have been ironed out and the JT is going to benefit from that. My biggest gripe for my JLU has been the 7" Uconnect. It's was a real PoS for the first few months but a TSB, applied late last year, cleared up all issues.

The biggest concern for most people is the steering. It seems that the wobble issues have been tracked to three things, software, faulty Steering Stabilizers (mine was actually leaking fluid) and now the track bar bushing and alignment spec changes (recent TSB).

I'm feeling rather confident about the new Gladiator. However I will be waiting at least a year before buying. This is only because of the diesel's availability.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
You know what's usually even more ironed out that year 2? Year 3. But at that point why not wait for a possible refresh in year 4? Of course maybe those changes need some real world time before they're perfect. Best to wait until year 8, but then why not wait for the all new generation 2? Eventually you're dead and you never bought anything /QUOTE]
Lmao,so true. Especially true with tvs, computers and cell phones.

I'm buying Gator, so hopefully all kinks not figured out in JL will become apparent by then.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Im getting one ASAP if the price is right. If not Ill be ordering a 2 door JLR. As far as waiting for a second year for the price to drop I don't see that happening. There was a price increase between the 2018 and 2019 JL's. With 5 -7% under invoice you cant go wrong.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I normally avoid first model year vehicles like the plague.

Having said that, the JL was too enticing and I got one of the very early builds. 2-1-18. They'd only been making JLs for about 8 weeks when mine was built I think.

So far:

- ESS quit working, had to be "re-learned" through scan-tool and road driving procedure
- Airbag recall required a software flash, which also corrected the steering calibrations I was having trouble with
What does it mean ESS quit working? Like ... In traffic the car died? And what does it mean fix? Like... You paid money and lost use of your vehicle?

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
QFT

There have been A LOT of bugs with the JL. Most of them have been either electronic or steering related. Most of those issues have been ironed out and the JT is going to benefit from that. My biggest gripe for my JLU has been the 7" Uconnect. It's was a real PoS for the first few months but a TSB, applied late last year, cleared up all issues.

The biggest concern for most people is the steering. It seems that the wobble issues have been tracked to three things, software, faulty Steering Stabilizers (mine was actually leaking fluid) and now the track bar bushing and alignment spec changes (recent TSB).

I'm feeling rather confident about the new Gladiator. However I will be waiting at least a year before buying. This is only because of the diesel's availability.
This bugs me, sir. What does software have to do with steering? Am I like50 years ago or is this a newish thing. ?

WranglerWillys

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 Willy's MB
Design flaws will get you on early years.

Quality is higher due to increased/ 100 percent checks on some thing.

I would gladly buy a 1st year JT.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
This guy has the best point.

You can always wait around for the latest and greatest and never enjoy whats here and now.

Also, your wife is a freaking Jeep Service manager...... I have so little pity for your concerns , I actually have negative pity. Of all the average "joes" on here. You have a connection to get your Jeep serviced and covered for anything. Even with aftermarket mods.
Lol, wasn't looking for pity, and my warranty is the same as anybody else. My point was
to do with the headaches of first year production machines. I am fortunate to have the close connection for getting warranty work done sooner than most, but if it turns out to be an ongoing thing with issues I won't be happy regardless of who I am sleeping with.
Sponsored