chadinsc
Well-Known Member
- First Name
- chad
- Joined
- Jan 5, 2021
- Threads
- 6
- Messages
- 189
- Reaction score
- 302
- Location
- south carolina
- Vehicle(s)
- 2011 jku rubicon
- Occupation
- manufacturing
Definitely. What a great resource.Oh man… sorry to see this op. Just like @Summitdan said… those bolts are way soft. Glad yo hear that you hot an awesome shop to help you
Anytime I replace critical hardware on a build I pony up and buy ARP. All of the manufacturers using these TTY bolts is garbage.I don’t envy that project. It was hard enough getting an only mildly damaged one out. I highly recommend hand tools, no matter how much it sucks. Those bolts are a bit soft.
He's blunt but he's right. You can actually angle the pinion up fairly high since they're CV joints and you don't need to match angles like with a u-joint. Just need to make sure you don't go so far the spring perch angle becomes an issue.What were you expecting when you didn't correct the driveline geometry after a significant suspension lift, and then went flexing off-road?
You shafted yourself, no?
Well it’s a bold statement to make purely assuming it was a do it yourself garage install. However not knowing the kit was completely installed by Saints Customs in Covina Ca, a very reputable off-road shop. The drive shaft was completely realigned along with the needed front end alignment. They take all vehicles back in after 1500 miles for re-torquing as well re-checking aliments after the 1500 miles.He's blunt but he's right. You can actually angle the pinion up fairly high since they're CV joints and you don't need to match angles like with a u-joint. Just need to make sure you don't go so far the spring perch angle becomes an issue.
Exactly. You see that on the axles I use as well, and on the ends of push rods and other parts that are heat treated.The blueing you are seeing is from the heat treatment / hardening of the part during manufacturing.
What were you expecting when you didn't correct the driveline geometry after a significant suspension lift, and then went flexing off-road?
You shafted yourself, no?
What is the typical max with these - 37?He's blunt but he's right. You can actually angle the pinion up fairly high since they're CV joints and you don't need to match angles like with a u-joint. Just need to make sure you don't go so far the spring perch angle becomes an issue.
No, that joint exceeded the max angle. It wasn't the "crap" used.This situation after closely evaluating it comes down to the crap Jeeps used to make this drive line.
Well yet another major problem. I heard something clinking around under the gladiator and this is what I find. 11477 miles twice off road on real trails. I definitely had plans to replace it, I guess now’s the time. The fronts been done from the beginning due to the 4” EVO lift kit. The arch was to far out so I replaced it with Reel drivelines out in Pomona. I’ve used them before never had any issues.
![]()
![]()
![]()
I don't see how this would cause the problem here. It appears to be something that was over-angled, not something that was over-torqued. How would the latter lead to the former?And the torque in the diesel motor that’s being applied from the Banks power system. Along with 37” tires and very heavy black rhino bead-lock rims.
Maybe there is an argument to be made that one should be able to max the angle of that joint and not blow it out like that.This situation after closely evaluating it comes down to the crap Jeeps used to make this drive line.
You don't want to do that to a highway vehicle. There needs to be some angle to revolve the bearings.Should I adjust the rear control arms so that the pinion is looking straight at the DS?