Sponsored

Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I doubt it. You guys trip me out. Go drive a CJ, YJ, Or TJ and report back how crappy the steering is in your gladiator. I'm sure there's a Cadillac dealer in your area that would love your business.
That's funny. This is probably my eighth solid front axle Jeep, probably my twelfth solid front axle vehicle total. Ranging from little stock XJs to one ton rock crawlers. The steering on my JT has, no exaggeration, worse steering feedback than my YJ did with full hydro steering on 40s and Dana 60s.

My dealer knows it's a problem and completely agrees. I've had new steering boxes put in and most recently new tie rod assemblies. Something is definitely wrong and no one can figure out why. Wife and I drove down to the coast over the weekend with our return home going through the national forest (which consists of super long, straight roads) at about 70 mph. I was completely wiped out when we got home with the amount of input I had to give the wheel just to stay straight.

Jeep Gladiator Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering. 5C840F65-F39E-4EE6-89B9-13E32E292C57
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That's funny. This is probably my eighth solid front axle Jeep, probably my twelfth solid front axle vehicle total. Ranging from little stock XJs to one ton rock crawlers. The steering on my JT has, no exaggeration, worse steering feedback than my YJ did with full hydro steering on 40s and Dana 60s.

My dealer knows it's a problem and completely agrees. I've had new steering boxes put in and most recently new tie rod assemblies. Something is definitely wrong and no one can figure out why. Wife and I drove down to the coast over the weekend with our return home going through the national forest (which consists of super long, straight roads) at about 70 mph. I was completely wiped out when we got home with the amount of input I had to give the wheel just to stay straight.

Jeep Gladiator Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering. 5C840F65-F39E-4EE6-89B9-13E32E292C57

I hate to do it but I'm calling BS on that. Your jeep may be driving bad, but I own a YJ and XJ and JK and my Gladiator drives 10 times better than any of those. Picture means nothing

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering. IMG_20200429_183200

Not to rub it in, but mine is lifted 2.5 in on 35 inch tires and it drives great even with one finger. Since you like pictures

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
All you guys
I hate to do it but I'm calling BS on that. Your jeep may be driving bad, but I own a YJ and XJ and JK and my Gladiator drives 10 times better than any of those. Picture means nothing
So you got one with a good steering box and he didn't... What's the point of arguing about it? I'm sure he'd love to have better steering like some have.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
All you guys

So you got one with a good steering box and he didn't... What's the point of arguing about it? I'm sure he'd love to have better steering like some have.
He said he already had a new steering box and tie rod assembly that's what I'm calling BS on and still crappy steering

My dealer knows it's a problem and completely agrees. I've had new steering boxes put in and most recently new tie rod assemblies.
Agreed though no need to argue

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first Jeep as well and I bought it knowing that the steering wasn’t going to be what I was used to. Weighing the pros and cons I bought it knowing that the aftermarket was there to help with the synergy sector shaft brace. I watched a video showing the slop in the stock steering and then it was fine with the brace installed so I’ll eventually get it and get it installed, but my steering isn’t as bad as I was expecting so I’m leaving it alone for now.
I’m going to do a fox steering stabilizer as well, but I’m waiting till I get the rest how I like it so that it doesn’t hide any other issues.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Apparently there are a lot of bad steering boxes out there though.
Get the column replaced! If the steering box and rod ends are good then change the next thing up the list.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I've avoided this thread type for years variously. Glad to find two old timers no offense who both drove old Jeeps but who disagree on whether the new jeep steering is a thing. So my 97 two door was SO much better than the CJ6 I learned on. 97 was like a Cadillac. Loudly LA Woman on LA freeways at 90 and me driving just the same as ole one finger up there. That was heavenly. So here is my question, not opening wwIIII, just asking since I haven't driven a loose steerer. I did have death wobble in the Comanche but that was wheel balance. That's a real thing, and a problem, and it has a solution. Question, if loose steering's a thing, why isn't there a found solution set? Or is there and people are ignorant of such? Shouldn't there be a decision tree? (If yes go to step six, replace part, solved, etc). I guess I'm asking why is it still a thing, if it's a real thing? Makes no sense to me, which is why I've stayed away from this topic. I figured they just never drove a Jeep before. Restated: is there a solution to the problem, or is there no solution because it is not a problem? Thoughts?

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I've avoided this thread type for years variously. Glad to find two old timers no offense who both drove old Jeeps but who disagree on whether the new jeep steering is a thing. So my 97 two door was SO much better than the CJ6 I learned on. 97 was like a Cadillac. Loudly LA Woman on LA freeways at 90 and me driving just the same as ole one finger up there. That was heavenly. So here is my question, not opening wwIIII, just asking since I haven't driven a loose steerer. I did have death wobble in the Comanche but that was wheel balance. That's a real thing, and a problem, and it has a solution. Question, if loose steering's a thing, why isn't there a found solution set? Or is there and people are ignorant of such? Shouldn't there be a decision tree? (If yes go to step six, replace part, solved, etc). I guess I'm asking why is it still a thing, if it's a real thing? Makes no sense to me, which is why I've stayed away from this topic. I figured they just never drove a Jeep before. Restated: is there a solution to the problem, or is there no solution because it is not a problem? Thoughts?
I have had many a Jeep going fact to my first, a 77 CJ7 with a 4.2 and 3 speed. My JT drives great. Just like any other truck or SUV. While deciding on buying one I drove a sport that drove fine to me and a Rubicon that was horrible. It had a huge dead spot. So I can say I have experienced both so I believe the complaints. It isn't a "Jeep" thing as none of my others have ever driven that way including my TJ on 37s. There is a lot of discussion on this but I'm not sure anyone has solved it. The decision tree you mention would be reliant on the manufacturer or dealer to acknowledge the issue and agree to replace parts until the problem was solved which I don't think has happened. I also wonder if the bad part is being replaced with a bad part. We know parts availability has been an issue leading up to now and I'm sure the quarantine isn't going to help. Maybe if someone with a known good one and a known bad one swapped parts until it was identified for sure. I'm sure we will track it down eventually but for now we have a good bit working against us.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
A steering stabilizer is just a mask really for steering problems or premature wear of steering components. A good setup will drive good without a steering stabilizer. Maybe try to tighten the bolts on the steering, hit your control arms, sway bars, track bar, tie rod and drag link and make sure everything is good a tight with torque wrench. Torqued to spec. I hit all mine as soon as I got home from the dealership and my track bar frame side was at 45lbs and needed to be at 65lbs. Just saying they can work their way loose.
I have definitely brought vehicles home with definite loose bolts and screws all over the place. Quite disturbing honestly. If there a reference for torque specs for these front ends?

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have had many a Jeep going fact to my first, a 77 CJ7 with a 4.2 and 3 speed. My JT drives great. Just like any other truck or SUV. While deciding on buying one I drove a sport that drove fine to me and a Rubicon that was horrible. It had a huge dead spot. So I can say I have experienced both so I believe the complaints. It isn't a "Jeep" thing as none of my others have ever driven that way including my TJ on 37s. There is a lot of discussion on this but I'm not sure anyone has solved it. The decision tree you mention would be reliant on the manufacturer or dealer to acknowledge the issue and agree to replace parts until the problem was solved which I don't think has happened. I also wonder if the bad part is being replaced with a bad part. We know parts availability has been an issue leading up to now and I'm sure the quarantine isn't going to help. Maybe if someone with a known good one and a known bad one swapped parts until it was identified for sure. I'm sure we will track it down eventually but for now we have a good bit working against us.
I find it interesting that this community seems to have a surprisingly large amount of people that are quick to dismiss any type of issue people claim to have with these vehicles. Despite an increasing amount of people having these issues, their response always seems to be that those of us with issues have just never driven a Jeep before and should go buy a cadillac, as someone stated in this thread. Their reasoning is nothing more than the fact that they personally haven't had an issue and that they have driven shittier vehicles in the past. I don't really see how this is relevant to people not wanting significant issues with their new expensive vehicles. It's wild to me that they want to blame the consumer instead of the manufacturer's QC. The brand loyalty with some people is what enables FCA to just ignore the issue. It's a Jeep thing, I guess?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I find it interesting that this community seems to have a surprisingly large amount of people that are quick to dismiss any type of issue people claim to have with these vehicles. Despite an increasing amount of people having these issues, their response always seems to be that those of us with issues have just never driven a Jeep before and should go buy a cadillac, as someone stated in this thread. Their reasoning is nothing more than the fact that they personally haven't had an issue and that they have driven shittier vehicles in the past. I don't really see how this is relevant to people not wanting significant issues with their new expensive vehicles. It's wild to me that they want to blame the consumer instead of the manufacturer's QC. The brand loyalty with some people is what enables FCA to just ignore the issue. It's a Jeep thing, I guess?
Every vehicle has issues. The reason you don't hear about most of them is because with a Jeep, people with the problem jump on a forum like this to either look for a solution or rant and complain. A small fraction of what they sell have the issues that is why your not going to get a recall or get them to increase QC.

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
When I first picked up my JT I thought it drove like a dream. No issues at all. A few weeks later I had the Mopar 2 inch lift installed and instead of driving “better than stock” the first time I drove it at highway speeds I was spooked the first gust of wind that hit me. The first time I had to do a quick lane change to avoid a car that cut me off, I finally admitted that something wasn’t right.

I had already read up on the steering issues and was in total denial about it to the point I never told anyone or posted on the board. I brought it up with my dealer and they hadn’t heard about it yet, but knew about the JL complaints. Either way...dealership was great about things and paid forthe Fox Stabilizer and free installation for me and the ride was ”back to stock” for me. It drove for me like it did when I first test drove (a different Gladiator) a JT and when I picked this one up.

No problems with it now. When there were though...what I told my dealer was it drove and steered worse then the cube vans I drove to work and felt as bad and white knuckled when a gust of wind hit the side of my work trucks on a really bad day.

I know it’s not the topic here...but in 9 years of driving the flat windshield on the trucks in the photos, I’ve never had a stone chip or crack yet...

Jeep Gladiator Drove a Wrangler today... My Gladiator definitely has much looser steering. B1239AFC-042D-400C-88D4-7C8CD07BD192
Sponsored