First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Hi there, 390 miles on my stock jeep diesel gladiator rubicon. I’m having the same issue…

jeep cares should I go to the dealership and start a case or call in?
Call Lisa
Lisa
Premium Case Manager
Stellantis
***Jeep Wave 844-533-7928***
***Ram Care 866-932-3878***
***SRT 855-778-8326***
***Extension 406-0550**
Sponsored

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Well I dropped the Gladiator at the Dealership today... Service Tech "Had some Ideas" before he even knew it was a Gladiator, or a Diesel ;)... had to laugh a bit... anyway the service Manager seemed super responsive, and very cool, so I am hoping they can get the details Jeep needs to figure it out! Anyway nothing new yet, but I just wanted to post an update.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I called and tried to talk to lisa, but i got her voicemail. I talked to another jeep wave, and they said they were going to register a case. I also called the dealership and let them know this was happening, they said they would research, and call me back. Awaiting that callback.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I called and tried to talk to lisa, but i got her voicemail. I talked to another jeep wave, and they said they were going to register a case. I also called the dealership and let them know this was happening, they said they would research, and call me back. Awaiting that callback.
Lisa is the contact point for this case. She's been dealing with all of us. Call her back. Let her get back to you. She's been great to work with.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Awesome! So here is the latest update from Lisa. FYI she was awesome to talk with.

1. She had 9 jeeps in her submission to the engineering team across the country that had this issue.
2. Jeep is not going to pay for lift kits, so don't call thinking you will get one (of course, and we joked about this... But a lot of folks seem to think they should try that...)
3. IF, jeep engineering decides to fix this (which I personally hope they do) it will either be a recall or a service bulletin. If it's a recall you will be notified via mail, if it's a service bulletin she will have somebody notify the forum post here.

There is no reason to call at this point and open a case, Jeep is fully aware of the issue.

After pondering this for a few min after I got off the phone with jeep cares, i am realizing that I am actually pretty upset about this. I Just spent 63k on a Jeep that bottoms out on speed bumps in my neighborhood that my 2018 Mazda Miata doesn't.

Jeep really should have done a better job engineering the suspension on the heavy diesel... It's very apparent they dropped the ball here, and now we get to wait, and drive like old grandmas (no offense (I'm really just joking here)) until they can engineer a solution / fix.

I'll be honest. This sucks, I gave up my Tacoma for the Gladiator, and that thing never had the issues I have had thus far... (besides the damage I personally caused to it)

1. Uconnect backup camera function just stopped working (awaiting a software patch), but a hard reset did get it working for now.
2. Front suspension bottoms out unless you drive very slow over speed bumps..

My personal feelings toward this vehicle are changing.. I wonder what's gonna happen next....

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Awesome! So here is the latest update from Lisa. FYI she was awesome to talk with.

1. She had 9 jeeps in her submission to the engineering team across the country that had this issue.
2. Jeep is not going to pay for lift kits, so don't call thinking you will get one (of course, and we joked about this... But a lot of folks seem to think they should try that...)
3. IF, jeep engineering decides to fix this (which I personally hope they do) it will either be a recall or a service bulletin. If it's a recall you will be notified via mail, if it's a service bulletin she will have somebody notify the forum post here.

There is no reason to call at this point and open a case, Jeep is fully aware of the issue.

After pondering this for a few min after I got off the phone with jeep cares, i am realizing that I am actually pretty upset about this. I Just spent 63k on a Jeep that bottoms out on speed bumps in my neighborhood that my 2018 Mazda Miata doesn't.

Jeep really should have done a better job engineering the suspension on the heavy diesel... It's very apparent they dropped the ball here, and now we get to wait, and drive like old grandmas (no offense (I'm really just joking here)) until they can engineer a solution / fix.

I'll be honest. This sucks, I gave up my Tacoma for the Gladiator, and that thing never had the issues I have had thus far... (besides the damage I personally caused to it)

1. Uconnect backup camera function just stopped working (awaiting a software patch), but a hard reset did get it working for now.
2. Front suspension bottoms out unless you drive very slow over speed bumps..

My personal feelings toward this vehicle are changing.. I wonder what's gonna happen next....
All we can do is wait. Have I mentioned I hate waiting. No patience! Ugggg:time::tumbleweed::angry:

Kevin2323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
Man every time I convince myself to go diesel I read one of these threads.

might be a dumb question but if I plan on getting a lift anyways should I even worry about this?

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Man every time I convince myself to go diesel I read one of these threads.

might be a dumb question but if I plan on getting a lift anyways should I even worry about this?
I wouldn't wait.... The issue is up-travel is limited and dampening isn't high enough.

When you say Lift though, remember, a spacer lift although might increase distance between bumpstop and strikeplate, the spring rate and damper rate is the same, some report it helps, some don't.

From what I have read the 2" mopar lift does solve the issue though.

The diesel is SO much better than the gas engine....
I wouldn't skip out due to this, just know the front end suspension needs a bit of improvement.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I wouldn't wait.... The issue is up-travel is limited and dampening isn't high enough.

When you say Lift though, remember, a spacer lift although might increase distance between bumpstop and strikeplate, the spring rate and damper rate is the same, some report it helps, some don't.

From what I have read the 2" mopar lift does solve the issue though.

The diesel is SO much better than the gas engine....
I wouldn't skip out due to this, just know the front end suspension needs a bit of improvement.
Yeah I wouldn't trade my diesel. I'm getting an average of 27 mpg from the last 4k miles

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Would ya’ll say the springs or shocks are the primary contributing factor? If both equally, would half be mitigated with better shocks paired with a spacer or would they end up wearing prematurely if the springs are way too soft anyhow?

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Would ya’ll say the springs or shocks are the primary contributing factor? If both equally, would half be mitigated with better shocks paired with a spacer or would they end up wearing prematurely if the springs are way too soft anyhow?
Springs....spring rate is not heavy enough. I heard that they only went 10% heavier than the 3.6 gas engine. Not sure if that's correct. Just what I heard.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Ok, folks, As probably one of the earlier JT ecodiesel owners (I picked mine up just before last thanksgiving), here are my pros and cons to having the ecodiesel in our JTs.

Pros:
- Fantastic fuel economy (I’m getting around 25 MPG with my JTRD with A/T tyres and Mopar 2” lift)
- Awesome power for hauling/towing
- as a result of the diesel upcharge, you have a somewhat “limited edition” JT.

I think that’s it for the “Pros” list.

Cons:
- $6,500 pay to play upcharge (which if you’re only concerned about fuel, buys a lot of unleaded, and if you really want the power, that money could possibly pay for a HEMI swap or a supercharger for the 3.6L)
- increased price of diesel (in central Texas - at least 15-20 cents more expensive per gallon)
- decreased fuel capacity to make room for the DEF tank, negating the higher fuel economy, and therefore fuel tank range.
- DEF refill — two boxes every 4,000 miles or so.
- increased cost of engine oil and filter changes
- decreased availability of fuel stations
- fuel filler neck is small (regular petrol engine sized) so you can’t fill up at the “big truck” pumps
- if you travel into colder environments, you have to consider #2 fuel to keep your fuel tank and lines from freezing
- stock suspension (front springs) are not rated for the increased weight, ruining the ride, and (my opinion only) requiring you to shell out more cash for a suspension upgrade (some of us don’t intend to lift our trucks, thought I’m sure most of us do… so, maybe this is a wash - I just wish it wasn’t nearly mandatory) - oh, and forget a steel bumper and winch until after you put the lift on.
- decreased payload and towing capacities due to heavier weight of the diesel engine (my JTRD’s max tow is about 1,700lbs less than a 3.6L pentastar JT with similar options)
- engine is de-tuned to accommodate the reduced cooling capability of the JL/JT front end, so the engine doesn’t overheat
- do you think a snorkel would look cool? You need to make your own, because no one does, currently
- do you want an extended range fuel tank? You might be able to get the one that goes where the spare tyre goes, but I haven’t seen any specific aux tanks from either Titan or Long range America (they make one for the 3.6L

so, if you want to shell out the $6,500 upcharge and can deal with the cons, then the diesel might be right for you.

Last edited:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi there, 390 miles on my stock jeep diesel gladiator rubicon. I’m having the same issue…

jeep cares should I go to the dealership and start a case or call in?
Hey, CreepyJeepy.

Up to you! I will be in private message to discuss at anytime.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Well I dropped the Gladiator at the Dealership today... Service Tech "Had some Ideas" before he even knew it was a Gladiator, or a Diesel ;)... had to laugh a bit... anyway the service Manager seemed super responsive, and very cool, so I am hoping they can get the details Jeep needs to figure it out! Anyway nothing new yet, but I just wanted to post an update.
Hey, OrangeCJ.

If you need assistance or would like to discuss further, please send me a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lol so glad I did not buy a diesel. To many problems with them and to many complaints they May get a little better mileage but I can afford the gas. You pay all that extra cash for a diesel and all I hear are complaints

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Lol so glad I did not buy a diesel. To many problems with them and to many complaints they May get a little better mileage but I can afford the gas. You pay all that extra cash for a diesel and all I hear are complaints
4k miles in and not a single complaint or issue here. So far so good. I wouldn't change my decision. Except the bottoming out. Only thing.
Sponsored