Sponsored

Eco diesel Suspension bottoming out on normal roads

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
So… my local dealer has had my JTRD going on 5 weeks for this issue. They’ve had an engineer driving it and recommending fix actions. Right now, that fix action consists of a new set of shocks.

unfortunately, the shocks are in production, haven’t been shipped, and with no ETA. Until they arrive, I seem to be stuck driving rental vehicles that were probably too crappy to sell used.
Very interesting. Do you happen to have your old shock part numbers?
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It's not rocket science.......Not enough damping and bump gap it too small for sure, but a little more spring rate would help too.

I'm sitting at 2" taller, 1" extra bump for the 37s, and Fox Elite 2.5s........she's all good now even with steel bumper, Zeon 10S, Mopar winch bar, and light bar on the bumper.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Very interesting. Do you happen to have your old shock part numbers?
No I don’t. I can tell you that when they removed the boots from the original shocks, they said there was oil leakage inside the boots and that the seals had failed.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It's not rocket science.......Not enough damping and bump gap it too small for sure, but a little more spring rate would help too.

I'm sitting at 2" taller, 1" extra bump for the 37s, and Fox Elite 2.5s........she's all good now even with steel bumper, Zeon 10S, Mopar winch bar, and light bar on the bumper.
your bumper/winch setup is what I’m looking to do as well. I’m thinking it’ll need at least a 2” lift

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
No I don’t. I can tell you that when they removed the boots from the original shocks, they said there was oil leakage inside the boots and that the seals had failed.
How many miles did it have?

Sponsored

Dennisbeyle

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Retired
Bubba, I would take it back to the dealer...can't imagine a street vehicle (unless its a highly modified rice burner), much less an offroad vehicle that only has 1.5 inches of travel before hitting the bump stop. Wondering if they used the wrong spring during manufactoring.

Dennisbeyle

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Retired
I was thinking it was the extra weight of the diesel too, but didn’t they put heavier duty springs and shocks to make up for that extra weight?

my F-150 3.0L diesel didn’t hit bump stops on the same road.

I guess what I’m I hearing you saying is I need an aftermarket suspension lift?
I have JTRD bottom out was bad! Installed king hydraulic bump stops @ tri-county gear same bumps 25 mph faster no Violent bottom out no noise when they engage cannot tell exactly when suspension runs out seamless proper install set-up Critical!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
the diesel adds, what, ~400lbs more?
Yeah but that 400 lbs is spread along the entire length of the chassis. So the 8% that the diesel option adds to the total weight really shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I was thinking it was the extra weight of the diesel too, but didn’t they put heavier duty springs and shocks to make up for that extra weight?
They did.

That is pretty pathetic if it is bottoming out on just normal/average road undulations with no extreme weight in (or added to) the vehicle.
I agree.

So I'm reading through several pages here trying to get a grasp on what's going on. So you guys are saying that on STOCK suspension, and in normal driving, the bump stops are striking the perches on the EcoDiesel JTs? Is this happening in the front only? Or rear? Or both? Is it trim level dependent?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Only the front for me

Rockntoy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 yj/ 62 cj/2021 diesel Rubi.
Occupation
retired from life
Was on the front for me also. Installed a Mopar lift for a diesel and seems to help a bunch.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I'm reading through several pages here trying to get a grasp on what's going on. So you guys are saying that on STOCK suspension, and in normal driving, the bump stops are striking the perches on the EcoDiesel JTs? Is this happening in the front only? Or rear? Or both? Is it trim level dependent?
YES!!!!!!!!!!! I bone stock Rubi with the factory steel bumper when driven down a normal city street or country highway bottoms out in the front on even the slightest dips, curbs, parking lot entrance, etc..... Even with adding a spring 1.5 spacer while also adding 1" bumpstop spacer for the 37's it still touched down regularly! After I added the rear Airlift air bags, it was infinely worse with just 5psi........

Not sure if I posted this in this thread or one of the others going right now, but.....Right now I've got a Zeon 10S, Mopar winch bar/guard, Artec winch plate, and a Baja designs 20" light bar mounted in the front bumper. I'm currently riding on Evo 4" JK springs (2" total net lift on my JT) 1" bump spacer, and Fox Elite Series 2.5's........WIth the increased rate, bump spacing, and shock damping.....she rides like a champ now. Still waiting for the proper lift stuff to come out as I only want 2.5"-3" lift in total.

The RockSlide steps also made a HUGE difference in frequency of bottoming! Adding a passenger too!

I also have Fox air bump kits sitting on the shelf to add when I get around to the install......

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
YES!!!!!!!!!!! I bone stock Rubi with the factory steel bumper when driven down a normal city street or country highway bottoms out in the front on even the slightest dips, curbs, parking lot entrance, etc..... Even with adding a spring 1.5 spacer while also adding 1" bumpstop spacer for the 37's it still touched down regularly! After I added the rear Airlift air bags, it was infinely worse with just 5psi........

Not sure if I posted this in this thread or one of the others going right now, but.....Right now I've got a Zeon 10S, Mopar winch bar/guard, Artec winch plate, and a Baja designs 20" light bar mounted in the front bumper. I'm currently riding on Evo 4" JK springs (2" total net lift on my JT) 1" bump spacer, and Fox Elite Series 2.5's........WIth the increased rate, bump spacing, and shock damping.....she rides like a champ now. Still waiting for the proper lift stuff to come out as I only want 2.5"-3" lift in total.

The RockSlide steps also made a HUGE difference in frequency of bottoming! Adding a passenger too!

I also have Fox air bump kits sitting on the shelf to add when I get around to the install......
Well that's no good. I was going to do a spacer lift again but I may need to reconsider.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well that's no good. I was going to do a spacer lift again but I may need to reconsider.
Id say if you increase the bump spacing by at least 1" you would be good. Depending on driving style and terrain, might need a bit more shock.
Sponsored